Wanted executive car with low insurance group - wazza
Friend is looking for an executive car which has a low insurance grouping. he has seen a Honda Legend but is put off by the group 17 rating. Any big car out there with low insurance group? he does not mind the make or age of the car, he just want a big car full stop.
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - Alby Back
Well, it depends how far he is prepared to stretch the terminology. If he genuinely doesn't mind what make the car is then it is possible to buy a very well equipped and pleasant large car with sensible running costs. You just have to look to the mainstream brands.

Good examples would include top of the range Mondeos, Vectras, Passats etc. Whether you call these "executive" models is debatable but if the brief is comfort, space, value etc. they tick all those boxes.
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - TheOilBurner
I hate to keep pushing the Volvo's...but the S80 is cheap to insure and they don't come much bigger.

My 2005 D5 is only insurance group 13, which I guess is very reasonable.

You could also point your friend at the Saab 9-5 with the 2.0t or 2.2 TiD engines, they're also group 13.

Seems funny to actually find someone who wants a big car these days, all we seem to hear at the minute is how everyone is rushing to trade down to superminis!
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - wazza
I know people are going towards smaller or more economical cars but my friend only does 3k miles per annum so the fuel costs will not be a big hit on his wallet compared to those who does 14k+. He will be using the car mainly on motorway trips every 3 weeks to see his family up north

Edited by wazza on 27/09/2008 at 11:47

Wanted executive car with low insurance group - Devolution
Second the Volvo S80 as a good choice, big executive car, very cheap secondhand as they depreciate fast. For cheaper insurance stay away from the 2.9 and T6 models (V8 or AWD models on the later newer shape.) Diesel engines are good plenty of torque, the 2.4 petrol has more than enough for motorway journeys described the OP. Plus it's like driving a big armchair, so comfortable for distance.
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - jase1
Older Accord, before they went all aspirational.
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - ForumNeedsModerating
Isn't this like alcohol free lager, caffeine-free coffee & low fat cheesecake?

Edited by woodbines on 28/09/2008 at 01:21

Wanted executive car with low insurance group - Blue {P}
Yes it is!

I'm not sure that I could accept a car as executive if it didn't have a high insurance group! My Mondeo is in group 16!

I would be looking at a 2.0 Mondeo, Vectra 2.2 etc. they're big and in a low group.

Wanted executive car with low insurance group - David Horn
Echo the comments on the Accord - cheap as chips and better luxury than the Volvo.

You don't want a Volvo anyway, they're unilaterally rubbish.
Surely a troll? Honda Accord better luxury than a Volvo S80, Volvo rubbish full stop? Have you actually owned or indeed know anything about these cars? I suspect not. As well equipped as the Accord is, an S80 with a few toys fitted is a special place indeed, as I know from personal experience.

No problems at all with mine in one year so far and it's been a true pleasure to own and drive full stop. No problems with my old V70 either.

My SiL also owned one of the old shape Accords with the 2.0 petrol in SE Executive trim (W reg). Yes it was a fine car, but not a patch on the S80 in anyway shape or form. Equipment levels were good, but not in the same league as my S80, not even close.

Materials were fine in the Accord, but it looked and felt cheap and old fashioned. Not so in the S80 which is an ergonomic masterpiece and very durable too, if looking a little dated compared to the new S80.
Sort of a troll. I was run over by someone driving a Volvo once. Consequently I think they're all rubbish.
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - Bill Payer
Sort of a troll. I was run over by someone driving a Volvo once.

One would think a Volvo driver would be more discerning about who they ran over.
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - gordonbennet
I was run under by a Isetta IIRC bubble car when i was 5 years old, went over the roof and slid down the back window, the driver of the bubble car came to visit me after i got out of hospital, he bought me a 'lone star' model car, not of a bubble car though.....different days and a different world.
>> Sort of a troll. I was run over by someone driving a Volvo once.
One would think a Volvo driver would be more discerning about who they ran over.

Me too. :-( At least he wasn't towing a caravan.
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - Pugugly
Worst of all worlds --- Captain Volvo and mobile shed - Said in the spirit of a 30 year motorcyclist and tongue firmly out of the hole in my cheek !

Edited by Pugugly on 29/09/2008 at 00:00

LOL! I appreciate the sentiment! :)
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - Alby Back
Wise words, with which I agree Blue, but I suspect those seeds will fall on stony ground.

;-)
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - doog
What about a Lexus IS250 Insurance group 13

or the Lexus IS220 Diesel insurance group 12

Edited by doog on 28/09/2008 at 11:28

Wanted executive car with low insurance group - stunorthants26
My old Jag 3.2 ws rated group 14 which I thought very reasonable, i believe the earlier 2.9 was group 12 with some companies.

Edited by Pugugly on 28/09/2008 at 23:02

Wanted executive car with low insurance group - Kevin
Be careful, lower insurance group does not always equate to lower premiums.

My group 20 Chevy is cheaper to insure than my group 16 XJ8.

Many years ago, the premium for a Sapphire Cosworth was four times the £700 premium for a 944 Turbo S even though they were in the same group.

Always get a quote before buying if insurance costs are likely to be a problem.

Kevin...
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - Avant
Surely a troll would drive a Saab - they're made in Trollhattan.
Wanted executive car with low insurance group - Dipstick
It's the actual premium rather than the group you want to get interested in.This year I went from a group 17 to a group 1, and the premium drop was only a couple of hundred, so it's not necessarily that significant.

Wanted executive car with low insurance group - Paul G1pdc
just to add about the insurance group thing....
we've just gone down to one car..
used to have a s40 and v40 volvo the v40 being a 2litre xi. the s40 a 1.8i base model.
the v40 was 3 groups higher...
but the insurance company (zuric) quoted us more for the s40 1.8 even though it was a lower group apon asking why???
was told if a lot of people crash the 1.8s people have to payer a larger premium.
the 2litre wasn't crashed as often hence cheaper....
had a similar thing in my younger days...went from a Fiesta RS turbo to a mk1 MR2.
both where the same group (14) but the RS cost more, even though it was worth less....
Paul....
what about an old bmw....after all pop the 518 badge off the back and stick on a 525...
bobs ya uncle....job done....