01 1.9 Head lights and front driving/fog lights - xaghra
I have a Passat TDI Saloon 130 bhp Y reg.
My head lights will only work on full beam,so can only be rarely used.I have been advised that they should work in the dipped position when driving but the lights do not.I have been advised that the headlights could have been blanked off,can you advise what blanked off means?
Also can one have front driving/fog lights installed where the grilles are (on each side of the number plate) as I have seen in other cars and would this be legal ,would insurance companies accept?
Michael
01 1.9 Head lights and front driving/fog lights - Peter D
Get the dip beams fixed it could be just a fuse or as someone else on another forum had, both dip bulbs failed at the same time. It is not legal to drive in fog lights or driving lights in the UK. Regards Peter
01 1.9 Head lights and front driving/fog lights - Peter D
From memory fuses F19, F21 and F20 and F18 or a faulty flash/Dip/Main stalk on the steering wheel. Get if fixed before you are stopped by the BiB. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 26/09/2008 at 17:23

01 1.9 Head lights and front driving/fog lights - Hamsafar
So do your sidelights come on when you switch to sidelights?
When you switch the dipped headlights on, they don't come on but the sidelights stay on?
Then you can switch main beam on by pushing the stalk away from you?

It can't be that hard to fix, it's only basic bulbs, fuses, switches and wires.

Do you have a rotary headlight switch? You can remove is by pushing in the knob and turning to sidelights while still pushingg it in... it can then be pulled out and withdrawn. Check the connectors' wires are all attached at the back, see if you can swap with another VW switch to test.

Edited by Hamsafar on 28/09/2008 at 19:32

01 1.9 Head lights and front driving/fog lights - xaghra
many thanks very helpful
01 1.9 Head lights and front driving/fog lights - scabby knuckles
I had a similar problem and kicked myself when I found the answer. The headlight unit has a separate bulb for dipped beam and and another for main beam. From the outside you can only see the main beam and sidelight bulbs, the other for the dipped beam is hidden away behind a plastic dome. When one bulb blows it usually causes a power surge to the other and blows that too! The dipped beam bulb is behind a rubber dome on rear of headlight unit NOT the one behind the hard plastic cover. Foglights can be retrofitted. You need a switch that has front and rear foglight positions and the lights and grills. All are available on EBAY.
01 1.9 Head lights and front driving/fog lights - Halmer
Both bulbs have probably blown at the same time. They did on my VW. You'll need little hands and patience to fit new ones particularly the driver's side.