1999 1.8 Manual gearbox service life ? - jp147
I own a UK Ford Focus which uses the IB5 manual transmission. The car is a 1999 T with 76000 miles on the clock.

Can someone please tell me how many miles and/or years this type of gearbox generally lasts for.

Additionally as the service guide that comes with these cars does not mention needing to change the manual gearbox oil, does this mean that most people don't bother to have this done and so just hope for the best ?
1999 1.8 Manual gearbox service life ? - jc2
Longer than the car.
And you don't change the oil,just top up-make sure you get the right oil as Ford make two FWD boxes.B5(iB5- i = improved) and MTX and they use different lubricants.
1999 1.8 Manual gearbox service life ? - jp147
I own a UK Ford Focus which uses the IB5 manual transmission. The car is a 1999 T with 76000 miles on the clock.

Can someone please tell me how many miles and/or years this type of gearbox generally lasts for.

Additionally as the service guide that comes with these cars does not mention needing to change the manual gearbox oil, does this mean that most people don't bother to have this done and so just hope for the best ?

{moves to previous question asked}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/10/2008 at 19:30

Replied to 0n 26/09.