A question about modern vehicles data busses - theterranaut
Hi all,

I wonder if any backroomers can either describe how a modern vehicles common data busses work, or point me to a resource that can explain things?

Might help if I point out that I'm fairly familiar with modern communications data networks? Is it comparable to packet-based systems, using logical addressing for each node, or more like a SCADA-based industrial control system, multiplexed serial? Or more like SDH, with a master clock?

Just curious really as to how this problem has been solved.

TIA-

tt

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/09/2008 at 11:18

03 1.4 A question about modern vehicles data busse - Collos25
Multiplex
03 1.4 A question about modern vehicles data busse - theterranaut
Thanks Andy.

Multiplex then- but how? Is there a master clock and a timing pulse on the wire? Do the individual 'nodes' (submodules) get addressed in some way? Or does the controller allocate timeslices that the nodes and the controller agree on?

?

tt
03 1.4 A question about modern vehicles data busse - cheddar
CAN bus
Thanks Cheddar.

Can you give me a little more detail on how a CAN bus works, or point me in the direction of a resource that explains it?

tt
03 1.4 A question about modern vehicles data busse - Dynamic Dave

www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=can_bus_con...y

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/09/2008 at 11:19

DD- thats the stuff. Many thanks.

tt
A question about modern vehicles data busses - Big Vern
Check out www.vector-worldwide.com/vi_canoe_en.html for industry standard development tools.

Modern cars have multiple CAN busses connected via gateways and many have other busses as well such as LIN.

You need several busses as you don't want your safety critical systems comms on the same bus as your heating controls etc.. Also you don't want your security system on a bus that you can get at from outside of the secure cabin.

You can get loads of info from the vector website.

Note: don't even bother looking to buy as the tools are mega bucks, my setup is ~ £8k
A question about modern vehicles data busses - theterranaut
Cheers Vern. I'm really just curious as to how all it works, from a networking perspective.

tt