high driver position - Teresa Skilton
Does anyone have any suggestions for what my husband should buy? Criteria, higher driver position (as in a Discovery etc. but not 4 wheel drive), economical - probably diesel but with some oomph. He's looked at a couple of MPVs but there are only 2 of us so we don't need 7 seats. Any ideas would be very welcome.
Regards
Teresa
Re: high driver position - honest john
A van.

HJ
Re: high driver position - phil garner
Chime in with HJ. One of those new CDI Mercedes Sprinter Vans (good for well over 100mph!!)

But really, you should say what you want to use the car for. Just for going to the shops etc. you should look at a Toyota RAV 4 or similar.
Re: high driver position - John Slaughter
Vauxhall Agila or Wagon R?

Cheers

john
Re: high driver position - Martyn [Back Room moderator]
Teresa, I just came back from our usual driving holiday in France. This time we took our Toyota RAV4, and I've got to say it has to be the most comfortable car I have ever driven (more so, for example, than an automatic MkII Jag). I'll back Phil Garner on this recommendation. The short-wheelbase 2-door is plenty big enough, and the seating position is good and high, as well as being upright. And bear in mind that the new-model RAV4 is available in two-wheel-drive version for not much money.

Don't, if you value your hearing, buy a van. Without exception the van sides resonate, and after a while the boom will drive you bananas!
Re: high driver position - Teresa Skilton
Thanks to all of you. Don't fancy a van to tell the truth! As for what we'd use it for - mostly pottering around locally with the odd trip to the West Country. We'll have a look at the RAV4. Thanks again
Regards - Teresa
Re: high driver position - Teresa Skilton
Or, another thought, what about a Citroen Picasso?
Regards, Teresa
Re: high driver position - Rob Steiger
How about the Merc A class, or the Toyota Yaris? Neither is as high as a 4x4 but you may be surprised by the feeling of good visibility that these cars afford.