01 1.8 squeak after changing gear - almera-inthesky
Hi all,
my 1.8 51 reg almera has developed a squeak or squeal. I hear it when changing gear -- usually changing up, I think. After changing gear, and bringing the clutch back up, giving it some gas, there's a squeak or squeal that I can hear -- I can't quite locate it, but it may be from left side of car.

it may be that a slower clutch return helps reduce the squeal, but I couldn't swear to it.

the car has recently had a full service in which all brake pads and discs were replaced -- the brakes had been binding.

could it be brakes binding again? Or does it sound like something else?

cheers
latest update:

disregard the gear change business, it was a red herring.

the squeal comes with giving the throttle a little blip of acceleration. Staying in 4th gear, and going at around 30mph, I managed to get the squeak consistently. Everytime I gave the throttle a sharp blip, I got an answering squeal back -- location was front of the car somewhere, couldn't say where.

any ideas? In case it's something simply that garage is overkill for...
01 1.8 squeak after changing gear - Lud
Does the engine speed up as it were more than the car when you blip the throttle? In other words, is your clutch slipping? What mileage has the existing clutch done? They can last a long time, but not for ever.

Fan or water pump/alternator belts can squeal too, and often do it when the engine accelerates.

So try to provoke the squeal and determine whether the engine and road speed don't match exactly, perhaps only for a second or so. And check the belt for tightness/wear. Take appropriate action.
No I can't say there's a lag between engine and roadspeed.

I was recently spraying waxoyl on the battery terminals and tray, to stop corroson. It could well be some has got on one of the belts. In which case would cleaning them with degreaser be a good ideas?
Don't know really although it seems possible. If the belt seems glazed or contaminated the best thing to do might be to change it. They aren't expensive. Clean the pulleys with spirit before putting the new belt on.

To check where the noise is really coming from, open the bonnet and blip the throttle by hand or get a helper to blip the pedal in the car. That should make it fairly obvious.
cheers, wildo...
now if I can't replicate the squeal with transmission in neutral, would this necessarily mean the problem was elsewhere? Or mgiht a belt slip only when in gear and in motion?
If it won't squeal with the transmission in neutral, the problem may well be elsewhere. To encourage the belt to slip, turn on headlights, rear window demister, heater fan etc to put resistance into the alternator rotor. Don't forget to turn them off again.
01 1.8 squeak after changing gear - CAREXPERTANDFAN

This commonly happens on the Almera Tino when in motion and its because your putting too much force on the throttle or the axles are not lubricated with oil and i usually hear one passing by squeaking when i wait for the bus.This is NOT the brakes binding.

There is no evidence in the manual.

Edited by CAREXPERTANDFAN on 26/07/2014 at 16:45