53 plate Mazda MPV - keep or replace? - Mazda-Man
My 5 year old Mazda MPV 2.0 diesel has just sailed through its MOT and I'm wondering whether to keep it for a bit longer or buy something else. It's done just shy of 25k (no commuting and very little stop/start driving in heavy traffic), does everything I ask of it and has been extremely reliable and well built (no problems so far & no bits fallen off - touch wood) but I know there have been some reported problems with turbo failures so would now be a good time to look for something else before bigger bills start coming in? TBH although something a little smaller would probably suffice now, I'd probably be looking for something similar - or just possibly a large estate. Reliability and low running costs are key for me with issues like handling and outright performance secondary. I'm not a frustrated rally driver with a large family and a tight budget :)

When it comes to other factors in my original choice of car, the sliding rear doors and versatility offered by having 5 removeable seats were at the top of the list and I also liked the combination of electric sunroof and separate front/rear air-con but I realise some compromise on such things may be required.

I guess my budget would be between £10-£12k on top of what I could get for my current car and I'd be intending to buy something 6 months to a year old.

My initial instinct is to avoid anything French but I'm no car expert so has anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers!!

Edited by Pugugly on 21/09/2008 at 19:05

53 plate Mazda MPV - keep or replace? - Manatee
If costs are important, keep it? The depreciation you suffer after replacement will dwarf any reasonably foreseeable repair costs. I'm aware of Screwloose's posts on Mazda diesels, but IIRC the problems are usually seen north of 50,000 miles - at your rate of running, that could be another 3-5 years of low depreciation motoring. It doesn't sound as if you want a different type of car.

I know you are also concerned with reliability, but it sounds more like a peace of mind issue - quite reasonable fear of the big bang with no warranty. Is it possible to buy a suitable third party warranty that would cover your concerns?

I'm having similar thoughts at 3 years and 50,000 miles, but I think I'm just trying to rationalise the desire for something new - I intend to grit my teeth and hang on, maybe for another three years.

Just keep changing the oil...

Edited by Manatee on 21/09/2008 at 11:48

Thanks for that. Keeping it is certainly an option but I'm still interested in considering other vehicles and coming up with possible alternatives just in case.

Not sure about warranties - only ever heard bad stuff about them TBH - but always happy to be educated by knowledgeable BackRoomers :)

One other thing - the last time I had the car serviced the dealer didn't seem sure whether or not I should opt for the full service each year due to the low mileage I'm doing. IIRC the car is due a cambelt change at this year's service but is it worth getting all of this done yet or just getting an oil/filter change done?

Cheers!
53 plate Mazda MPV - keep or replace? - Manatee
Mrs Manatee's car only does 5,000 miles a year but I prefer to get a full service annually - IMO a car needs a proper inspection at least that often from a safety angle. I don't use a franchised dealer though - it's three years out of warranty and a trusted independent who is also a friend is much better value and provides more reassurance.

I have no experience of third party warranties but Warranty Direct is I think recommended by HJ, so it would be a matter of checking their cover to make sure it includes the things that concern you - there are different levels available and you can request a quotation on line. The car will have to be properly maintained in line with the manufacturer's instructions to qualify I should think.
53 plate Mazda MPV - keep or replace? - dodo
I know exactly what you mean re keep or replace. Our 04 Mazda MPV 2.0TD has been the model of reliablity and has a specification few other MPVs have. Our has been serviced every year (it has 31,000 miles now) and except for tyres and brakes it hs needed nothing (it replaced a very unreliable 2001 Galaxy Tdi).

There does not seem to be anything out there o replace it with. Espace - unreliable, new Galaxy - never again, Mazda 5 - too small, Hyundai Tregedy ? and Kia ?

We would like sliding doors, sunroof, swift diesel and reliability. Your starter for 10!
Hmmm....... judging by the response, reliable and well specified MPV's are thin on the ground :)
53 plate Mazda MPV - keep or replace? - freakybacon
If you are happy with this car, keep it. It does everything you want and appears to be reliable. Why change & lose money in depreciation. Is it really that you just fancy a change?
Not really - I'm happy with the car but want to avoid a major problem and getting into a cycle of ever increasing servicing and repair bills as has been the case with some of these diesels. I won't sell just for the sake of it but would like to get some views on what similar cars may fit the bill if I do decide a change would be nice. I like to be prepared and forewarned is forearmed after all :)
53 plate Mazda MPV - keep or replace? - boxsterboy
We're in a similar position with our Citroen C8. Same age as your Mazda, but more miles. It just carries on doing what it says on the tin, and it is hard to justify a replacement, even though it would be nice to drive something different after 5 years.

Oh to be road-tester, eh, HJ!
53 plate Mazda MPV - keep or replace? - tonyl
I put 75,000 miles on an 04 Mazda MPV I had as a company car. It was 100% reliable, didn't even have to change as much as a lightbulb. I was sad to see it go at the end of the lease, and would probably have ordered another if they were still in production. For the spec they weren't bad value either against the other MPVs I looked at.

In the end we bit the bullet and ordered a Galaxy 2.0td Edge to replace the Mazda. Poorer spec (no sunroof, no rear aircon, no sliding doors, no spare wheel) than the Mazda and rather more expensive! The only other full fat MPV we half liked was the Citroen C8, but the company car tax liability was higher and the potential reliability was a concern. Same comments apply to the Espace as well, so I guess the Galaxy was the "least worst" choice in the end!

On estate cars - if your requirements can be met by an estate car you'll save money. Large MPVs are great if you really need all that space, but otherwise why buy something that drives less well and costs more to run?
53 plate Mazda MPV - keep or replace? - dodo
Jury still out? Want a change - any ideas?
Still got my MPV which is due for its MOT this month. Going to see how it fares and then decide how to proceed. I skipped the 5th service last year and just had an oil/filter change so it's due a service and cambelt change now really. Very happy with the car - just touching wood that the large bills don't start to come flooding in.... Will report back after the MOT..... bites nails......
53 plate Mazda MPV - keep or replace? - wazza
would like to know what happens and how much it costs for a cambelt change etc. Am thinking of buying one.
Sorry for the late reply but I've not been able to access the site for over a week as it kept causing IE7 to crash...

Anyway, my trusty MPV sailed through the MOT with not so much as an advisory... phew!!!

I'll be making enquiries about the best option for the next service shortly and let you know what's recommended re the cambelt and what the cost is going to be.

53 plate Mazda MPV - keep or replace? - SpamCan61 {P}
Very happy with the car - just touching wood that the large bills
don't start to come flooding in.... Will report back after the MOT..... bites nails......

Even large bills are still likely to be less than the depreciation on something new.