Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - rogertb
I think i screwed up and somehow deleted my last attempt at posting a topic so let me try again :

I have just paid out for a new clutch and think my lovely Rover 75 (1.8 Club 2000) will have to go before I have to shell out for a cam belt and maybe a clutch slave cylinder..

All the guys in the pub say that dealers are "... giving cars away..." 'cause the market's so bad ... where are they all ? the ones I've encountered offer me £1K for mine (probably as good as I'll get) and no movement on the asking price of anything I'm looking at ... I'm Ok to spend about £5K and want something small and economical (doesn't everybody) - there's a Vetec down the road in a garage, the Citroen C4 looks good (maybe a bit big) honest John mentioned a Hyundai i30 or KIA Cee'd. 1.4 or 1.6 petrol or 1.6 diesel, there's also the Seat Ibiza ... any advice very welcome please regards Roger
Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - Lud
If the 75 is lovely, and you've just given it a new clutch, why change it? How much would a good independent charge to change the cambelt? And a clutch slave cylinder is not an expensive item if not too hard to get at.

How tight are you really rogertb? 'Penny wise, pound foolish' they used to say...
Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - oldnotbold
Do the sums - what will it cost you to keep the 75 on the road for the next two years? What will it cost you to keep the £5k car on the road for two years including depreciation?

How much more is the £5k car and can you justify the higher cost?
Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - Number_Cruncher
>>Penny wise, pound foolish

Shrewd words Lud.

People of my acquantance have recently made a foolish new car buying decision. They regreeted it quite quickly, and so, replaced the car with another new one. They have suffered two serious hits in depreciation, yet, they think that it's OK, because they use economy bread to make their toast and sandwiches with!

The most stupid related proverb is "Look after the pennies, and the pounds look after themselves". What complete twaddle!, hang the pennies!, the pounds are much more important!

Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - bbroomlea{P}
A cambelt and tensioner on a 1.8 is likely to cost no more than £200. You would loose that by driving your next car from the dealer. If it is purely a financial decision I would keep the 75.
Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - scrapmetal
If you just paid for a new clutch, surely they put a new slave cylinder in? ( this is gearbox out job). Keep the rover as posts above.
Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - Alby Back
It might, just might, become a "classic" in the fullness of time. Its retro looks etc.
Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - R40
It might just might become a "classic" in the fullness of time. Its retro looks
etc.

Only might?

;)
Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - oldnotbold
It's not going down in value by any large amounts. Run it year by year until it dies.
Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - rogertb
Thanks one and all for making me sit back and think a little more, all good sense really. Best regards Roger
Tight old man needs advice (trade Rover 75 - buy)? - jag
as another tight old man what i need is a tight old woman! . jag