Variable Servicing - Happy Blue!
Our (new to us) A150 is about to be one year old and has done 6,500 miles. According to the service indicator on board it does not need servicing until 13,500 miles. I rang the garage and they said that is right and just run the car until it tells us to get it serviced.

Ignoring the usual comments about getting a car looked at every 12 months come what may, does this sound right? We have done about 1,100 miles since we bought the car a couple of months ago and expect to do about 8,000 miles pa.
Variable Servicing - daveyjp
Appears to be a similar system as VAG - when variable tells you, or bi-annually, whichever comes first. The service book will tell you.
Variable Servicing - Number_Cruncher
>>does this sound right?

Yes.
Variable Servicing - cheddar
If you do lots of short stop-start runs relative to the first owner it may be that the predicted variable service system scheduled 13500 miles will come down over time, the converse could also be true. Can the MB system be switched to fixed intervals as per VAG I wonder.

Eitherway I would have an oil and filter change every 12months max.
Variable Servicing - Number_Cruncher
>>every 12months max.

There is a time based part of the service interval algorithm - the count will rapidly change as the time limit approaches.

I *think* that this system can also be updated at service time with the oil quality used, and the behaviour of the service mileage counter varies accordingly. Few garages actually do this, and so, the car usually does not take into account the high quality of the oil it's filled with - i.e., the system is misused, but, in a safe way (or in a way that has you booking services more frequently than you really need to!)

Variable Servicing - Happy Blue!
Thanks all. We should be doing more miles than the previous owner (it was a demonstrator anyway) and doing more miles per start, so would expect to the service indicator to remain static.
Variable Servicing - Bill Payer
Even MB dealerships don't seem to know how variable servicing works. On some models, noteably E Class, they will often run to 15-16K for the first service, then following services seem to pop up at 10K intervals - the suspicion is that the dealers deliberately don't set the oil quality correctly.

To overcome this, MB announced a good couple of years ago that they were switching to fixed interval servicing. On the A&B Class it's 12,500miles/12mths (it's 15,500miles/12mths on most other models). I'm surprised the OP's car isn't on fixed servicing.

I do few miles in my C Class and it ran to 2 yrs between its last services. The dealer was unsurprisingly keen for me to move to fixed intervals, but other owners, whose services are coming up every 10K and would benefit from fixed interval, have apparently been told that it can't be done.
Variable Servicing - Andrew-T
> when variable tells you, or bi-annually <

.. just to be absolutely correct and pedantic about this - you mean biennially. Bi-annually means every 6 months.

sorry ...
Variable Servicing - Pugugly
Oh No ! - he said in a voice very similar to Ruth from the Archers.