02 2.0 diesel fuel filter - Robin the Technician
Hi,
Today was the day I dusted off the spanners and gave my Pug 406 a service. When I got the service items I wanted a fuel filter only to be told there were two types - Bosch and another which i think began with Tec??? As I was not in the Pug to check which one was fitted, I thought I could leave it until I'd done the rest of the service, identify the type and then change it at a later date. Well, I've looked at the filter and I can't see whose make it is. It looks mighty complex with no easy method of removing the fuel bowl. I'm sure its easy when you've done it before but can anyone tell me how to identify which type i have and how to remove it? Do you have to bleed it - I couldn't see a bulb to squeeze.

As always your advice and guidance is much appreciated.

Edited by Pugugly on 14/09/2008 at 00:26

02 2.0 Diesel Fuel Filter - Screwloose
Robin

There can be either Bosch or Siemens fuelling fitted to an HDi from '02-on. If you've got a tank pump it's Bosch, as the Siemens type uses a suction pump with a priming bulb.

In either case replace the filter housing complete as the risk of HP pump contamination is too high. Quick-release pipes off, wire off, lift it out.

A Bosch primes with just 5 key-ons 12 seconds apart - the Siemens needs a squeeze or two. Don't crank a dry pump.
02 2.0 Diesel Fuel Filter - Robin the Technician
Hi Screwloose,
Thanks for the reply. I've looked at the fuel filter again and it does have a plug fitted to the top which is simplistic to unplug. I can't see a primer bulb so must assume its a Bosch type. I can see the bolts to remove and the quick release clips. However, a number of places I've contacted sell the filter - not the complete unit. I assume the filter is replaceable as one has to justify to SWMBO buying a filter housing at goodness only knows cost. I am qualified to work on diesels and know about cleanliness when stripping/ rebuilding such things. What are the risks? I have changed many fuel filters in the past - without a single problem. How do you replace the filter? I assume you remove the filter as an assembly and work on it away from the vehicle. Does the base just unscrew ftom the top?

I know, too many questions!!! But thanks anyway

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/09/2008 at 01:23

02 2.0 Diesel Fuel Filter - Screwloose
Robin

I don't recognize what you're describing there; I rarely change filters anyway, so I'll leave those questions to someone more familiar with that type of filter.
02 2.0 Diesel Fuel Filter - 659FBE
You must drain this filter before you take the lid off, otherwise metal frag goes into the clean side. Silliest design ever - many HDis are wrecked by garages just popping a new element in.

02 2.0 Diesel Fuel Filter - Robin the Technician
Thanks for the reply 659. I assume the best thing is to remove pipes and electrical plug from the top, take off the whole unit from the block then take it to the workshop for strip down and rebuild. Does the bottom unscrew from the top as there doesn't seem to be any retaining bolt? Having spoken to my local Partco ( i work for Unipart - part of the same company) they offer both the Bosch and Tecafiltre filters. I want to get it right first time as messing about with diesel and my hands don't go together particularly well (even rubber gloves get ripped at the wrong time).

Thanks