Repairing Flex Exhaust Parts.. all cars - hm
hello all.... HJ - you may well move this post to discussions... but I thought about it and it is techincal... your call dude........ :0)

The issue is on a BMW 530d E39 1999 - but generally applicable to all cars.

On many cars where the down pipe meets the middle section or the complete back section there is oftern a flex exhaust part.. some I noticed over the years are 'corrigated effect' where as others are wrapped in for want of better work mesh....

has any one ever tried to repair on of these that is blowing...(the mesh type).

I can only assume that this car has driven over something at sometime and it has caught the mesh.. now she is blowing.......

I'm thinking of trying to use one of HOLTS flexiwraps.. but I though they went 'hard/brittle' so techincally will simply crack on a flexi exhaust part....do the bandages go hard or stay 'flexible' ?

This is a general question.. reason why I appear to be mad..... if I can not fix it I need buy a new front section of exhaust... which will set me back the wrong side of £350.......

A diagram of the exhaust system can be seen below.... the flexi part I'm talking about is kind of below the number 6....

www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DP81&mospid...0

Thanks All H (now living in Prague, but still need to sell the wife's 2001 A4 Tdi :0)... now willing to go silly cheap)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/09/2008 at 22:08

Repairing Flex Exhaust Parts.. all cars - Screwloose

You should be able to get a length of flexy exhaust tube from anywhere that repairs light commercials.
Repairing Flex Exhaust Parts.. all cars - topbloke
they generally come in two diameters and can either be welded into place or clamped, welding being the prefered method