2002 1.8 EML on and using loads of petrol - West
Hi everyone, I own a 02 reg Vauxhall Vectra 1.8, I have had it for 2 years now, and for the past 4 months I have had the Engine Management Light on, and since then the car has been consuming more petrol than before the light on, it drives well no problems apart from when I stop the Idle is not stable, keeps going up and down, it keeps feeding it self until it stebalises, never used to do this, I have been told that it could be a fault with one of the sensors, I dont know which.

I have spent quite a lot of money in this car and would appreciate any possible help, or advice. I just had the car serviced and there is no difference to it at all.

Thanks for any comments.

Edited by Pugugly on 16/09/2008 at 21:47

2002 1.8 EML On and Car consuming loads of petrol - SpamCan61 {P}
A few things:-

1) Is this a Z18XE engine?

2) Are you sure it's the engine management light not the emissions light? Some Vauxhalls from that era - like SWMBO's 2000 Zafira - use an engine icon for the emisisons light rather than the EML, which confused the hell out of me 'til I realised.

3) Difficult to pin down a problem without some fault codes, although I don't think the 'paperclip trick' will work on a Vectra C.

4) Uneven idle is a common fault on VX 1.8s, which is often caused by the throttle valve body getting gunged up; removal and a decent clean should fix this. There are other possibilities like dodgy EGR, back to need for some fault codes.

Excess fuel consumption could be all sorts of things, lambda sensor on the way out for example, expensive guesswork though.
2002 1.8 EML On and Car consuming loads of petrol - Dynamic Dave
for the past 4 months I have had the Engine Management Light on

it drives well no problems apart from .....

The light is telling you there is a fault. It could be one of many things. Lets hope that 4 months of over fueling hasn't knackered the cat convertor - they don't like being drowned in petrol, which among other things your car is currently doing.
I have been told that it could be a fault with one of the sensors, I dont know which.

Bite the bullet and pay someone to read the fault code(s) out. It takes away all the guesswork of what's wrong.

ps, too new to perform the paperclip trick on.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/09/2008 at 19:43

2002 1.8 EML On and Car consuming loads of petrol - West
Hi guys sorry about the delay, i have been really busy, thanks for your replies i really appreciate your help. Dave the light used to come on and then go off during that time, in the recent months the light has permanently stayed lit.

I have had a chat with one of my friends who knows a bit about cars and he told me that its a defenitive fualt with the lamba as I did get bad lamba reading during an MOT, test recently, the car stalls when I fuel up, and he said its alll to do with the fuel filter becuase I have been driving the car a few times on very low petrol, he said it needs a clean.

Now I dont know if you guys agree with this but, I would like to take action right now and try and fix these problems so any further advice would be great.

I am taking the car for a Diagnostic test, and i will let you know the outcome of it.

Thank you

2002 1.8 EML On and Car consuming loads of petrol - Screwloose
I have had a chat with one of my friends who knows a bit about cars

Well he certainly thinks he does....
and he told me that its a defenitive fualt with the lamba as I
did get bad lamba reading during an MOT test recently the car stalls when I
fuel up and he said its alll to do with the fuel filter becuase I
have been driving the car a few times on very low petrol he said it
needs a clean.

Utter drivel...!! There is no connexion whatsoever between the Lambda computed by the gas analyser and the "Lambda probe." A failed oxygen sensor is only one of hundreds of faults that can cause an emission failure.

A blocked fuel filter would restrict the flow and cause the exact opposite of your symptoms?
2002 1.8 EML On and Car consuming loads of petrol - Collos25
Screwloose is very correct ,a faulty maf could give you similar symtoms a quick test would be to run it disconnected and notice if there is any difference but failing that it needs a proper looking at.
2002 1.8 EML On and Car consuming loads of petrol - West
Hi again guys, I seem to be completely wrong, I took the car to a garage yesterday, and booked an appointment, the mechanic told me they will nedd to perform a diagnostic as it could be different things causing samer problems, for the stalling part when refuelling and sometimes when just turing the car on, he said it wont be the fuel filter as you just had it serviced, its eaither the fuel pump or i dont know something else he said.

If the car is wasting largew amounts of petrol, is due to a sensor fault which I dont know, reason why i think its this is becuase i dont think the car is controlling the amount of fuel it burns at all, not long ago I could easly cover 65 to 70 miles for £10 of petrol, now i can hardly get close to 50 I would be lucky. full tank only lasts me a week, and I dont travel that much, 35 to 40 miles per day max.

I think its best if do all the repairs and sell it as I cant really afford it anymore and buy a smaller engine car, but I would like to fixeverything before I sell it. Peace of mind.

I will let you know the diagnostic results after I get them.

Thanks

Regards West