North Circular on a Saturday morning - Radar
Next Saturday (13th) I need to travel from Lightwater to East Finchley for a wedding at 12:30. All the route planners and sat navs suggest going to Chiswick and then round the North Circular past Hanger Lane, Ikea etc. I've never attempted this on a Saturday morning. I would be grateful if somebody with local knowledge could comment on how busy it is likely to be and/or suggest an alternative route.
North Circular on a Saturday morning - Altea Ego
I would go M3 - m25 - m40 - Hanger lane - north circ.
North Circular on a Saturday morning - Westpig
I would second AE's choice, as the Chiswick to Hangar Lane bit of the NCR can be very slow...i'd recommend checking a travel update system first though e.g. from your mobile phone (177 on Orange, 2222 I think, on Vodaphone) as the M25 can have awful problems on occasions
North Circular on a Saturday morning - henry k
>>.... as the Chiswick to Hangar Lane bit of the NCR can be very slow
Sure can!

Maybe consider exiting J3 of the M4 and taking the A312 ( Hayes bypass) all the way to the A40.

File all the options so you are prepared to reroute if traffic reports are poor for any part of your route.
North Circular on a Saturday morning - motorprop
before 11 am there should be no probs. After that, I'd stay on the M25 , come in on the M1 ( J21 ? ) till J2 which is A1 going South , till the North Circ which is a quick mile or two to East Finchley .
motorprop.
I think OP is coming from Lightwater close to the M3.
North Circular on a Saturday morning - Mapmaker
motorprop.
I think OP is coming from Lightwater close to the M3.

Yes, I would agree with motorprop. Only 10 miles and 4 minutes longer, per Googlemaps.

Potentially ghastly journey whichever way you go; can't you go to Bristol instead?
North Circular on a Saturday morning - Tron
This used to be my commuter (from Barnet) route to the city so it is very well tried & tested!

A lot longer but possibly quicker - stay on the M25 but come off at J23 for the A1M.

Take the 3rd exit (signed A1081 Barnet) off the South Mimms services roundabout and then follow the A1000 through Barnet, Whetstone, North Finchley, crossing the A406 and straight into East Finchley.

East Finchley can and really is a so & so of a place to park so parking at High Barnet tube station (entry next left off the A1000 after a road called Medway as you go down hill) and catch the tube down using the Northern line is another option for you going this way.

Edited by Tron on 08/09/2008 at 12:50

North Circular on a Saturday morning - cheddar
From Lightwater I would do M3 / A316 to Richmond then past Kew Gardens, over Kew Bridge to Chiswick, Hanger Lane etc, as long as you allow 20 mins from Richmond to Hanger Lane you should be fine.
From Lightwater I would do M3 / A316 to Richmond then past Kew Gardens over
Kew Bridge to Chiswick Hanger Lane etc as long as you allow 20 mins from
Richmond to Hanger Lane you should be fine.

>>
There is a 50 /30 speed limit at the end of the M3 then lots of lights and roundabouts.
Kew bridge is a bottleneck and Gunnersbruy Avenue / Chiswick roundabout up to the A40 can be a real pain.

Motorprop. & Mapmaker.
Thanks for the info via A1. Very interesting. I would not have thought of that route as I am too far inside the M25 on the south west.
A personal well tried route is always welcomed.
North Circular on a Saturday morning - Lud
I agree with those who say take the M25 and come in on the M40, then turn left at Hanger Lane and trundle up the N Circular. Indeed even the suggestion of going further on the M25 and coming in on the A1(M) may be good. But the N Circular between Chiswick and Hanger Lane should be avoided if possible these days.
Thanks to everybody who has replied - I am leaning towards M25/M1 but will make a final decision in the morning after checking the traffic situation online.

I will post after the journey to let you know how it works out.
The M1 will have a lot more traffic on it than the A1 route - think about it - people and their SatNavs will go for the most obvious route to anywhere.

The most direct route is not always the quickest!
Fair point Tron - I may go for the A1. I'll let you know the outcome.
Thanks for everybody's help. I went right round to J23 and down through Barnet - worked a treat, we were there in plenty of time. We also used that route to get back to the reception near Watford and got there ahead of all the other guests who had been advised to use the North Circular!

Thanks again.
Radar,

Pleased to have been in a position to help you mate!

The route from Barnet to Watford I could do in 10 to 12 mins on a good day (GSXR1100RW) and I am sure, if I ask nicely - someone will work out time distance & terminal velocity of that 11 to 12 miles distance for me!

Tron.

Edited by Tron on 15/09/2008 at 22:19