Ball Joint Covers - IKR
Hi Everyone

This is my first post, and regards an irritating failure on my wife's 1995 Micra.

I did a 72000 mile service on the car at the weekend, and found that one of the bottom ball joint covers has split. I've had this before (on the other side of the car), when I discovered that replacement covers or ball joints aren't available. The only option was to replace the complete bottom wishbone, which cost about £60 IIRC.

The ball joints are a push fit into the wishbone, and are sufficiently tight that a large bench vice wouldn't shift them. It just seems crazy to spend £60+, just because a rubber boot has split.

Does anyone know a source of replacement rubber boots? I've looked for them (unsuccessfully) in the past.

Thanks

Ian

Ball Joint Covers - M.M
Ian,

There is/was a company supplying these. The place where I've seen them mentioned is Car Mechanics magazine. A readers letter has prompted the editor to give the details a couple of times over the past few years.

You could buy a copy and phone the editor, he might tell you.

David W
Ball Joint Covers - Galaxy
I did order some ball joint covers from my local Ford main dealer a few years ago. At the time, they were actually available as manufacturers spare parts.

I can also recall the info given relating to Car Mechanics. Wasn't the company that supplied these somewhere down on the south coast?
Ball Joint Covers - jc
Your local car spares place usually stocks one size(or two) fits all.
Ball Joint Covers - jc
Transpares in Hove.
Ball Joint Covers - Pete
" Your local car spares place usually stocks - - - " Not in my neck of the woods they dont!

Send e-mail to sales@southwalesprops.com telling them what you are looking for.
Rgds.
Ball Joint Covers - jc
I'm not talking the one who supplies performance parts and shiny gimmicks but doesn't supply the old-fashioned thick underseal which can cover-up all sorts of problems.Most areas will have one that supports people trying to maintain their cars on a shoestring-they supply pattern parts from countries you've never heard of,recondition all sorts of bits and there is usually an oily queue at the counter because the bloke behind it is trying to work out from a description what is wrong and find something to fix it.Ask around some of the locals with old cars.