Dealer wants to cancel - GreySwan
Hi, can anyone offer advice.

I ordered a Hyundai i10 in May, trading in a 5 yr old BMW 520 as part ex. The dealer signed a contract to supply with an agreed part ex allowance. There have been severe delays. The dealer contacted me in July to say they would honour the contract even though the list price had gone up.

Now the dealer has phoned to say they want to get out of supplying the car altogether, because the part-ex value of my car has gone down.

Has anyone else encountered this, or have any advice on what to do?
Dealer wants to cancel - b308
I'd say if you have a signed contract and there's nothing in the small print tell him to get on his bike and find the car for you!

(But no doubt the experts will be along in a moment!)
Thanks b308.

Please help Experts!
Dealer wants to cancel - Altea Ego
check the contract you signed. There may well be a clause in there that says they can cancel and refund any deposit.
Dealer wants to cancel - Simon
I think I'd try to make the dealer honour the contract. The way I see it is that either you or he is going to take a financial hit on this one and he is trying to wriggle off the hook already. If you let him, then it will be you who is left taking the financial hit.
Dealer wants to cancel - mike hannon
Tell him it'll cost him the difference between his part-ex offers. That might make him look around a bit harder.
I wonder if any of these delays have been down to the dealer hoping that you would pull out of the deal if you couldn't get you hands on the new car when you should?

Did the dealer come straight out with it and tell you that they want to cancel the deal because the agreed part-ex price on your car has dropped significantly? This seems a little too honest coming from a car dealer and surely if they were legally able to cancel the deal without a problem or a financial loss then they would just do that anyway without consulting you first.

I still say make them honour the deal.
Thanks to everyone who has left a post.

There is nothing in the contract allowing them to cancel. There is a clause saying that they bear no responsibility for loss caused by the manufacturer failing to deliver the vehicle, but I think that breach of contract is what we are talking about. In any event, I intend to take them to Court if they refuse to supply a vehicle for the price agreed.

It is a question of who takes the financial hit and I would rather it not be me.

I do take the point however that the 520 is an excellent car, gives pretty reasonable mpg etc etc. I was just taking the view that overall, the environmental impact of the i10 will be less as will running costs, insurance, tax etc.
Dealer wants to cancel - jase1
I do take the point however that the 520 is an excellent car gives pretty
reasonable mpg etc etc. I was just taking the view that overall the environmental impact
of the i10 will be less as will running costs insurance tax etc.

Questionable logic -- the BMW isn't going to just go away.

You're clearly not a driver who does mega miles, or you wouldn't be considering an i10.

If you sell the BMW, and it's bought by someone who does 30K a year, the environmental impact is going to be the exact reverse of what you desire -- you've brought another car into the world (with all the pollution production and destruction of said motor brings), *and* your existing car is pumping more CO2 out into the atmosphere.

All this stuff about moving down to smaller vehicles and selling on the bigger ones is going to cause more pollution than front-end taxation of new large cars (and natural wastage of the older ones) ever would have. Stupid short-termism by the government, latched onto by well-meaning folk who haven't quite thought through the consequences of their actions.
Dealer wants to cancel - Altea Ego
But didnt you know?

A BMW 520 will cure global warming, and cancer. It can leap tall buildings in a single bound, is faster than a speeding bullet, more pwerful than a locomotive.It will even make the tea and wean your puppies and babies onto solid food......
#
well according to someone on here anyway
This is a fair point. I was thinking of changing the car anyway and would have prefered something smaller to larger, and cheaper to more expensive.

There is an financial cost element to it too, alongside the envoironmental, but to keep or to change was a personal choice informed by the other factors mentioned. I agree that I would not be changing were it not in the belief that running a bigger car will just get more and more expensive and that the "cost to change" will be repaid in cheaper overall costs probably within a couple of years.

Maybe on that basis I should not be too unhappy that the dealership is making economic decisions of its own, it's just that I don't like being sold something the seller can't supply, and then losing out so they don't have to.

Personally, I think that it may become difficult to trade in larger older vehicles at all before too long. I just acted on my belief and tried to get out before then. Unlucky me to run into a dealer like this one.
Dealer wants to cancel - MichaelR
I do take the point however that the 520 is an excellent car gives pretty
reasonable mpg etc etc. I was just taking the view that overall the environmental impact
of the i10 will be less as will running costs insurance tax etc.

The most expensive part of motoring is the depreciation. Your car has done most of its depreciating - a new i10 is only just about to start.

Put it this way - the i10 might save you a few quid. But it wont be anything major. Would you holiday in a 1 star hotel to save a few quid?

No.

So why drive around in a 1 star car? (Not NCAP stars).
> So why drive around in a 1 star car? (Not NCAP stars).

I don't think that's entirely fair -- as little cars go the i10 is up there with the best of them.

I can understand not wanting to lose the remaining value of the BMW -- but consider this. At the moment the public is in the usual British panic-button mode. Values of big cars are falling through the floor just as values of the very Korean cars you're buying now did ten years ago when Daewoo and Kia hit the skids.

Just as with Daewoo and Kia, this is a transient phenomenon. I would not be surprised if the 520 is worth more this time next year as a trade-in than it is now. Markets find their equilibrium -- and they aren't there yet.

If you cancel now, and wait six months, who is to say that the same i10 won't be as nicely discounted as say the Getz is today? After all they're made in the same factory, and the Getz is actually the more substantial car, it's just an older design.

Ultimately it's entirely your choice GreySwan, but I'd be inclined to call their bluff and demand compensation, pocket it, walk away and wait a few months.
Dealer wants to cancel - barney100
If you get the car the dealer is likely to count your custom as a nuisance and you may not get good after sales care. Best I think to send Hyundai a nice letter expressing your dissapointment at their dealer and find another brand that will show you some commitment. Can't say I enjoy the car buying much now, I try firmly but politely to get as good a deal as I can and prepare to be in there quite while. If the dealerslooked after you, say give you a full tank of fuel or a set of mats or something then you may become a loyal customer. last car i bought had next to no fuel in it and they hadn't prepared it as agreed, next time iwill look elsewhere and of course when asked my opinion of the garage by friends will be somewhat negative perhaps costing them business.....it ain't rocket science!
>>If you get the car the dealer is likely to count your custom as a nuisance and you
>>may not get good after sales care.

But does it work like that in reality? The way I see it is that the dealer will still supply the same car, it will still be PDI'd in exactly the same manner and it will have to be fit for purpose etc when the OP picks it up. The only minor thing that I forsee is that the salesman might be a bit grumpy, but he'll have to grin and bear it.

As for anything else aftersales wise then you deal with a different department nowadays and once the original salesman has handed over the keys when you pick the car up he will never really come across you again. Thus to the service and warranty department you just become another everyday customer rather then 'Mr Jones' who screwed us in that deal. I don't see that you are likely to get treated any differently aftersales wise in a modern large dealership than anyone else.

Besides if they do hold a grudge, there is nothing to stop you from taking your servicing etc to a different Hyundai dealer.
Dealer wants to cancel - runboy
I wonder if the dealer would have said much had the value of your trade-in risen (not likely but if you were trading in a desirable motor then the economic climate could have caused its value to rise)?

The dealer should be taking it up with Hyundai, not you. You haven't caused the delay but Hyundai have - thankfully we don't have a trade-in but again have been waiting months for our i10.

If its any use, I did post elsewhere that our Hyundai dealer have been promised by Hyundai that all back order i10's will be delivered to the UK docks no later than the 7th September ship. If your dealer can get the same commitment from Hyundai maybe he could offer you a loan car for the next couple of weeks and take your trade-in from you now. Not sure how happy I would be if I were offered this but it may be a solution.
Dealer wants to cancel - Bill Payer
Perhaps the dealer could buy his way out of the contract with suitable compensation?

It's a bit rich when dealers threaten customers with loss of deposits - often £500 or £1000 - if they cancel, but the dealer can just walk away.
This sounds like a great opportunity to come to your senses and keep your 520. It is an excellent car, is properly built, and pretty reliable. It is considerably better than a Hyundai i10. Keep hold of it, paying more to get a 'small' car is false economy.

Hang onto it, the cheapest car is the car you already own.

I don't know how anyone could tolerate something like an i10 after owning a 520.
Dealer wants to cancel - madf
"don't know how anyone could tolerate something like an i10 after owning a 520."

it's easy. Having owned or driven nearly 250,000 in executive BMWs/Mercedes/jags in my life, I appreciate:
the ability to park anywhere on a sixpence
the lack of worry of mindless vandals who attack expensive cars or steal them or both
the low fuel bills.
the comfort
the ease of washing and cleaning.
the ability to drive on icy and snowy roads with some chance of retaining traction.
tyres which cost £30 not £60 plus.
£120 servicing.

And being thoroughly inconspicuos when I travel.

Edited by madf on 02/09/2008 at 17:16

Agree with most of that madf but... comfort?

I've owned a Hyundai before. They're only comfortable in the sense that the suspension is compliant and the seats are pleasant.

So, so basic.
the ease of washing and cleaning.

Clutching at straws a bit here are we not?

Besides, given the average annual mileage of a city car driver, the difference in monthly cost between 25mpg and 40mpg is negligable.
I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed. I have never used this forum before but am very impresseed. Not least because of the range of views expressed.
Dealer wants to cancel - Mr.Tee43
Strange isn't it that if it were you that canceled buying a new car after signing a contract, the dealer would keep your deposit AND sue you for loss of profit on the new car.

Now the boot is on the other foot, if you really want the Hyundai, then I would insist that they stick to the contract or pay substantial damages.
Dealer wants to cancel - Pugugly
Can you keep us updated - closure is good.

Rob - Moderator.
I will report back, hopefully with good news!
Just a couple of points in support of the i10:

It has a 4 star NCAP result which isn't bad for a cheap, small car.
In a recent Autocar group test it easily beat the Panda, Twingo and Agila.
It has a 5 year manufacturer warranty.
It currently is the 4th least depreciating car.
I believe it is currently the cheapest 5 door car with airco as standard (could be wrong though).
It has scooped many awards in India, even their car of the year award (bear in mind the disposable income available and it is amazing how many are selling there).

Of course the downside is that in the UK they are difficult to come by.
Dealer wants to cancel - tintin01
"don't know how anyone could tolerate something like an i10 after owning a 520."

We got our new i10 yesterday, having traded-in a 2002 Saab 9-5 estate. The Saab was a lovely car - great car to be chauffererd around in, big, safe and comfy. However, OH is thrilled with his Hyundai - £35 VED, nice to drive, spacious, easy to park, nice radio, no worries for 5 years. It's a bit plasticy inside, but you don't feel like you are in a bargain-basement, cheap-skate motor.

It depends what you want and what you need. If I was driving 20k miles a year on the motorway I wouldn't buy an i10. For holidays we will use my Primera. But for getting to work and back, local driving, supermarkets etc. I believe they are excellent value.

We ordered in July I think, and the garage honoured the price they offered on our trade-in then. The saleswoman said that Hyundai expected to sell about 5,000 in the first year, but had sold 4,000 by April (or taken orders, not sure which).

I would definitely have another Saab, but at the moment the i10 suits what we need, and is actually a funky little thing to boot.
Dealer wants to cancel - stevekay
Staying with the i10 thread, Hyundai are supposed to be bringing out the i20 - Getz replacement - this month but have put it back to early next year. If they have the same trouble producing those cars as they are with the i10 then the Hyundai image is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Edited by stevekay on 03/09/2008 at 12:07

I think it's rather mad how many people care about £35 road tax. I mean really, why is this so important to people that they'll use it as plus point when buying a car? Of all the costs of a car, the thousands of pounds it takes to buy it, the petrol, the insurance, etc etc, why are people so bothered whether the road tax is 35 quid a year or 200 quid year? It's a complete non issue, some people spend more than the difference on packets of fags over a month.

It's the same as fuel economy - oo I dont use the car much, I just pop into town, dont want something that drinks petrol. Hang on, isn't that when you DO want something that drinks petrol? If you hardly drive it does it matter whether it does 20mpg or 40mpg? Of course it doesn't.

What you DO lose by downsizing into a pram is flexibility. If you decide one day you wish to visit your friend who lives in 200 miles away well you may as well get a train than take something like a Hyundai i10 on a journey of any reaosnable distance. It's Euro NCAP score is a con as well - 4 stars? Lovely, sounds good. Until you realise its only 4 stars when tested against an object the same size as an i10. Most cars on the road are bigger. How does it perform in a crash against a properly sized car? No idea. Never mind though, road tax is cheap.

5 year warranty? If thats so important you seem to be expecting the car to be unreliable?
After months of increasingly irresistible temptation I finally Googled for a picture of the Hyundai i10 that lots of people here keep on about.
I've changed my mind (see above).
OP, don't do it - get your deposit back from the dealer (if you paid one), hang on to the BMW and see what the next year brings in the way of financial circumstances. You might well find that it is worth more when the UK's panic-stricken reaction to any news has abated a bit and a degree of sanity has returned. Even if it isn't you'll still have a car, not - as has been said above - a pram.
'Car of the year in India'. Well, oobli-oo. Beats the pants off the Hindustan Ambassador then...
Is 35 quid road tax important enough to see you left driving around in a puddle-jumper?

Dealer wants to cancel - Alanovich
I think it's rather mad how many people care about £35 road tax. I mean
really why is this so important to people that they'll use it as plus point
when buying a car? Of all the costs of a car the thousands of pounds
it takes to buy it the petrol the insurance etc etc why are people so
bothered whether the road tax is 35 quid a year or 200 quid year? It's
a complete non issue some people spend more than the difference on packets of fags
over a month.

Many people have tight monthly budgets and cashflow is important. Come road tax time, I'd rather have a bill for 35 quid than 400.

I do agree though that it's daft to go out and buy a more expensive car for that reason alone - unless you were going to change anyway. When I realised my 1.6 petrol hatchback was going to cost me 260 quid for road tax next year, I switched it for a diesel car which will cost me 120 quid when the time comes, but I didn't spend any more money than my original car fetched (in fact I came out 200 quid up on a slightly newer, larger car with better fuel economy but a less fashionable badge). Seemed the sensible thing to do to me.
It's the same as fuel economy - oo I dont use the car much I
just pop into town dont want something that drinks petrol. Hang on isn't that when
you DO want something that drinks petrol? If you hardly drive it does it matter
whether it does 20mpg or 40mpg? Of course it doesn't.

I don't think many people would actively want a car that drinks petrol - whatever their usual driving pattern. After all if you only drive around town a bit, what's the point of a big car which is more difficult to park and has more power than you're ever going to be able to use around town?

Edited by Alanovich on 03/09/2008 at 12:43

Many people have tight monthly budgets and cashflow is important.

People with tight monthly budgets should swallow their pride and realise a new car is not a sensible place to put their money. I rather suspect that the OP is not somebody with a 'tight' monthly budget - if he's had his BMW for a few years he probably paid rather a lot for it.
I do agree though that it's daft to go out and buy a more expensive
car for that reason alone - unless you were going to change anyway. When I
realised my 1.6 petrol hatchback was going to cost me 260 quid for road tax
next year I switched it for a diesel car which will cost me 120 quid
when the time comes but I didn't spend any more money than my original car
fetched (in fact I came out 200 quid up on a slightly newer larger car
with better fuel economy but a less fashionable badge). Seemed the sensible thing to do
to me.

Until you are plagued with the reliability troubles that affect modern CR diesels which wouldnt have affected your venerable 1.6 litre hatchback, obviously.
I don't think many people would actively want a car that drinks petrol - whatever
their usual driving pattern. After all if you only drive around town a bit what's
the point of a big car which is more difficult to park and has more
power than you're ever going to be able to use around town?

The point is they are far better value and, in the OP's case, involve not having to shell out thousands of pounds for a brand new Hyundai.
>After all if you only drive around town a bit, what's the point of a big car which is more difficult to park and has more power than you're ever going to be able to use around town?<

Because it makes you feel good. ;-)
Of course, that may not be allowed in future - I daresay there's a government department working on (official!) restrictive measures right now...

Edited by mike hannon on 03/09/2008 at 13:04

Dealer wants to cancel - Dipstick
All the points about the savings being little fiddly bits are absolutely true, and it's mad to turn in a big comfy car for a little a to b job.

Mind you, I'm now £2046 quid better off since April having made the swap, so that helps a bit.

Dealer wants to cancel - stunorthants26
I think it is a terrible state of affairs when people who obviously have plenty of cash to burn have the cheek to be critical of someone less fortunate for trying to run a car as cheap as possible.

A modern small car is quite capable of long distance in reasonable comfort, able to maintain motorway speeds and allow the ability to hold a conversation at the legal limit without raising your voice.
Maybe certain backroomers should enter the new millenium regarding the capabilities of small cars. Sure they arent as good as a larger car, but they are acceptable unless you are especially soft and need ultimate pampering.

I have driven my Charade 500 miles in a day and will be taking it to Cornwall in two weeks time with no worries of lack of comfort. I can take four people with more than acceptable legroom so size is no advanatge and a disadvantage in todays towns.
Ive owned a Jaguar so I know what long distance comfort feels like, but in reality, there really isnt a huge gulf between the two these days. Its just an ego thing that small cars arent manly enough when infact, its usually the man who isnt and needs big toys to bolster themselves. Its ever so funny to the outsider :-)
Assuming one needs a car for A-B motoring and not a humungous mileage:
Brand new 'cheap' car at - I dunno - 6 or 7k; depreciation slide begins here.
Older big, comfy, stylish motor at - say - 1.5k; most depreciation now history; bit more fuel over a year; couple of hundred extra in road tax.
Who's burning cash?
Dealer wants to cancel - Miller
Sometimes though the decision to buy a replacement smaller car is a no-brainer.

I have just bought a brand new Clio, and I will be paying 140 quid a month over the next 5 years for it. I have calculated that on top of saving 40 a month on petrol/ins/tax costs compared to my old car, I will have no repair or MOT costs for three years. So basically I am running a new car at a net cost of around 60/70 quid a month.

As for the "small cars are carp on motorways/long journeys" arguement, that may have been true 10-20 years ago in a Metro or Fiesta but nowadays this is rarely the case.

If you can afford to run a big car fine, just don't knock us for wanting to save a bit of cash!
Dealer wants to cancel - Bagpuss
Yes, I ended up driving from Munich to Erlangen and back in one day last year in my wife's Ford Ka. It's a round trip of 500km and, contrary to my expectations, the world did not stop turning as a result, nor did I end up permanently crippled or deaf as I had feared.

I can see the logic in owning a bigger secondhand car, but my wife's motivation for wanting a small hatchback is not really financial, it's simply that she does not like driving or parking larger cars and I guess she is not the only one. Also, although older 5 Series BMWs offer really excellent value, when something serious needs repairing, the repair costs reflect the original new price and not what they are worth at 10 years old.
Dealer wants to cancel - carl_a
Sounds to me as if the dealer has another buyer that wants a car quite quickly and a deal that will generate additional profit. I'd stick to your guns.

New i20 should be out early next year, looks to be a fine car with new fantasic engines.
Dealer wants to cancel - ajit
Just heard that there was a fire in the Hyundai paint shop on Monday (in India). Six robots are rumoured to be damaged. Not sure where i10 or another model has been affected
UPDATE!

Feel relieved today. The dealership have agreed to honour the original deal. Car now promised before end of September. They also offered an alternative, which was an amount of compensation, but I am pretty sure I will go for the car still.

Reading the posts on this thread have made me think about whether I am changing because of economy, environment, panic about the used car market, boredom and just want a change etc etc.

Ultimately, I expect my monthly costs to go down by £110-£125 (petrol,insurance, servicing, tax). I am paying £2,500 to change, so to my mind, I will recoup the expenditure within 2 years. I hope to keep the car for at least 5 so it seems to me to be justifiable.

I also don't believe that the BMW has finished devaluing yet, and may devalue more per month than the i10 in the next couple of years. Time will tell, but I feel that to change is to do the right thing.

If it doesn't work out, I can always trade the i10 in against a new BMW......(joke)

Purely out of interest now (I've made my point that you are mad and won't labour it further) what shape 5 Series was it and how much did they offer? At 5 years old it'll be an early E60?
It was one the last of the 03 520's, a 2.2 litre ESI SE. It has 80K miles, 2 owners from new, the business pack (bluetooth), manual gear box, leather seats etc. I got £4750 P/E. Went today to another dealer to check P/E and got offered £2,900. A couple of thousand down in four months! Please don't think me mad. I really don't feel it.
Dealer wants to cancel - jbif
It was one the last of the 03 520's, a 2.2 litre ESI SE. It has 80K miles, 2 owners from new,

One backroomer has his 2001 model in the classifieds here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/threads.htm?f=5&
"2001 520i SE"

It was one the last of the 03 520's a 2.2 litre ESI SE. It
has 80K miles 2 owners from new the business pack (bluetooth) manual gear box
leather
seats etc. I got £4750

Sigh, such a great car, such a good spec, such a lovely engine and such a worthless PX value. Quite why you didnt just keep it and run it into the ground, shedding with it any worries about residual value, is quite beyond me. Still whats done is done.

The ES has those rather lovely 18 inch split rim wheels and Sports seats as standard as well, does it not?

I can't understand why, after driving and chosing such a lovely car in the past, you've now reduced yourself to owning the sort of car a pensioner buys whilst they wait to die. Surely after 15 seconds in the driver seat the dawning realisation of how crushingly horrible it was swept over you and you lept out to your senses? Every time I get into something else after mine it feels a little low rent and thats things like the Mk5 Golf, let alone an i10.

No? Doh :(
Dealer wants to cancel - TJ63
I can't understand why after driving and chosing such a lovely car in the past
you've now reduced yourself to owning the sort of car a pensioner buys whilst they
wait to die.

I was sorely tempted to hit the "report this message as offensive" link when I read this. Have you even seen an i10 up close, or sat in it, or better still driven the thing?

I seriously doubt it. I'm not a pensioner, and will not be for many many years, but I do find this sort of remark offensive, as no doubt will any real pensioners who read it.

I am the very proud owner of an i10 (as of 3 days ago), and in my opinion it is admirably suited to its purpose, that of being a city car - i.e. made for short journeys at medium speeds. No, it isn't a luxury car, as BMWs are supposed to be, but it does what it is made for very well.

Look at the spec - for example there are BMs costing £18,000 where aircon is an extra cost option - it's standard on all models of i10, even the one which costs less than £7000. No, it's not a premium car like all BMWs try to be (and some don't quite manage it), but neither does it try to be or is it presented as such.

The new "i" series Hyundais are a turning point for the company (which incidentally is now the fifth largest car maker in the world), marking the move from the cheap (and admittedly sometimes nasty) cars of old to a whole new range of quality cars. Take a trip to your local dealer and have a good look at one. Check out the spec, and bear in mind the price and the free 5-year warranty then come back here and tell us all honestly if you still have the same opinion.

I would seriously doubt it. Mind you, I also seriously doubt you will take up the challenge.

Please let us all know.

TJ
As someone used to say when they posted "It's not what you drive, it's the way you drive it" -
thanks for resisting the temptation to retaliate in your post.

Rob - Moderator.
Well done TJ63. A few of the comments on this thread have grated with me a bit, but then we are all entitled to our opinion.

As a fellow i10 owner (well we will be when it arrives) I am looking forward to taking delivery, or rather my wife is. We want a second car that my wife can continue to learn to drive in as although she has passed her test she isn't keen on starting out in a car bigger to that she learned to drive in. So we wanted a cheap second car, and for us the i10 is ideal. We will have a new car which is cheap to fuel, tax and insure and will be covered by warranty for 5 years.

We went through the thought process of do we spend £100 and get something that doesn't have the kit of the i10 and could well be unreliable. Do we pay a few thousand and get something a bit newer, or do we pay a bit more and end with something new, so we went down the new route.

We did nearly waiver and had a look recently at a 18month old Fiesta Ghia - in my opinion the interior was no better quality than the i10. The i10 has won many awards abroad and in this country beat the Twingo, Panda and Agila in a group test run by Autocar, a magazine whose writers must carry some credibility.

In April the i10 went on sale in the UK and Hyundai sold their predicted 2008 sales in that one month meaning some of us have had to wait months for their i10 to be delivered.

I think Hyundai are suffering what Skoda went through a few years ago with the general publics perception that their products are sub-standard when in fact they were good value for money. Look where Skoda is today.

When we get our i10 I'll put together a review on here.
It has 80K miles

That is hardly "run-in" for a 520i e39.
It would have easily done 200k miles, and the whole car will still look and feel new in another 5 years time.

Oh well, the deal and the deed is done, is done, is done.

Edited by jbif on 05/09/2008 at 00:03

I suspect the entire car probably still feels more solid and better built than a brand new i10.
Compared to current BMW 5/6 series im quite sure the interior will be more durable, current ones are terrible after a bit of use. Maybe a step up in reliability aswell, along with customer care.
Compared to current BMW 5/6 series im quite sure the interior will be more durable
current ones are terrible after a bit of use.

No, the current ones are not quite as good as the BMW's of old but there is a huge difference between not quite as good as the BMW's of old and a Hyundai. I had the misfortune of a lift in a Getz once. My goodness . People bought them?! I've had better plastics in a packet of Mr Kiplings Exceedingly good cakes.

Edited by Webmaster on 05/09/2008 at 02:24

Sorry but until you show me a two year old Hyundai with an interior finish that has simply peeled off, the BMW will never be any good in my eyes. Its shocking that anyone buys such a poorly finished car. In this day and agepeople shoudl demand better and regardless of how soft or hard the plastics in the hyundai are, atleast they last longer than 5 minutes.
Sorry but until you show me a two year old Hyundai with an interior finish
that has simply peeled off the BMW will never be any good in my eyes.

I can't say I've ever seen anything like this. If you are not exagerating then I can only assume the one you've seen was an isolated case.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

People who, in any way, associate soft plastics with quality demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of what quality is, and therefore their arguments may be safely ignored.

The fact that such people choose to ignore rather than engage this postulation kind of proves the point -- they choose to switch off, and come out with the same old piffle the following time the conversation comes up.

This kind of nonsense is the very reason German cars aren't as well made as they used to be.

Oh no, a manufacturer making a £6000 car doesn't place some foam padding on top of the standard hard-plastic dash. Whoopee-do.
When I started this thread, I was hoping for some advice and experience from other users about what chance I had of pesuading the dealer to honour the contract. It has turned into a debate on new vs old (sort of).

However, for anyone who reads this thread having had the same problem I would say stick to your guns and don't simply accept what you are told. The dealer has been fine with me, polite and professional throughout. I disagreed with them that they had the right to cancel the contract, and they only agreed to honour it when I serious threatened them with Court, but they still stayed friendly and polite and I will use the for servicing in the future.

It was a relief to me that the negotiations could be conducted without accrimony as frankly no one would win if it had just got rude. Still, I think they were just trying it on to begin with which cheeses me off even now, as some other people might have just gone along with it and lost money on the deal. I guess that's business!

Thanks again for all the posts.

Exactly Greg - and you will be he one best placed to give the comparison. I can say that the interior finish of a Skoda Roomseter is nowhere near a recent 5 series, but the gap is closer than you'd imagine.
they only agreed to honour it when I serious threatened them with Court, but they still stayed friendly and polite

Thanks for posting that info. It is useful to know how the final outcome was brought about.
When I started this thread, ... It has turned into a debate on new vs old (sort of).

That is the nature of discussion forums. Don't let that put you off. Threads tend to drift off topic, sometimes within the first 5 posts!

Dealer wants to cancel - tintin01
I am pleased to hear that you have acheived a satisfactory outcome. OH is still very happy with his i10. Let us know how you get on with yours when it arrives.
Dealer wants to cancel - mickfb
I have got an Hyundia i10. I have done 6500 miles still with no rattles. I commute 70 miles a day motorways and A roads. I have just come back from holiday in Wales. I did 600 miles and I am not crippled, we did the journey in comfort.

I now have a reliable car with a 5 year unlimited warranty which includes the interior.

You do not buy an i10 if you want a fast car but it does what it says on the tin.

I am very pleased with it.

Mick

Dealer wants to cancel - midlifecrisis
My wife has a Getz with a '5 year unlimited' warranty. Examine the small print, it isn't quite so 'unlimited' as you think.

(Not that anything has gone wrong with hers..apart from being terminally dull)
Dealer wants to cancel - NowWheels
apart from being terminally dull

It's a painted metal box with 4 wheels. Like other metal boxes with wheels, it doesn't dance, recite poetry, cook good food, sing blues songs in your hallway or treat you to a night of sensual passion. So where's the surprise in its dullness?
Dealer wants to cancel - midlifecrisis
If you don't understand..then there's not much point entering a discussion!
Alfa Romeo not for you then NW ?
Alfa Romeo not for you then NW ?

I don't see how a car is made less dull by the addition of rust spots (which the old ones all rapidly regained), or a breakdown truck (which the new ones seem to need)
Its more than that ! My Roomie is unlikely to rust and statistically its less likely to need a breakdown truck than most brands its still a soulless bit of kit compared to a BMW M3 or M5 at full-chat though - or even a V6 Alfa.

Edited by Pugugly on 12/09/2008 at 19:35

I can.

In a spirit of friendly helpfulness, NowWheels heads off to the schlossPugUgly to add some rust to his car as it is hauled up onto a low-loader.

Don't get it myself, but chacun à son goût, comme on dit dans Le Pays de Grenouille.
Quite right - sorry I edited "I can" from my post as I felt a wave of petrol engined emotion overwhelm me !