M27 - dangerous new layout - darnsarf
I have just driven eastbound on the M27 past J11 for the first time since the roadworks finished and can't believe what they've done to the layout, it feels incredibly dangerous to me. For months now they have been working on adding a crawler lane where the motorway climbs over Portsdown Hill between Fareham and Portsmouth - the crawler lane only starts halfway up the hill but that's another story - and they have finally finished it. There are 3 lanes at the bottom of the hill as before, then the new crawler lane starts at the J11 on-slip to make 4. At the top of the hill it goes back to 3 lanes again but incredibly it is the outside lane that suddenly comes to an abrupt end, with minimal signing, rather than the crawler lane which carries on as lane 1. The fastest-moving traffic in lane 4 is abruptly forced to merge with that travelling more slowly on its' left (sometimes MUCH more slowly, we've just come up a hill remember..). I just cannot believe that someone has actually designed it this way..
M27 - dangerous new layout - pmh2
This concept of the 'fast lane' merging is widespread in France and IMHO a much better solution than forcing the slowest lorries to filter back in to Lane 2 (also containing nose to tail slow lorries - albeit travelling about 2mph faster. The problem in the UK is with those people who do not realise that the HC tells you to drive on the left, and who routinely block the 'middle' lane. See the other thread that is currenly running.

pmh2
M27 - dangerous new layout - Rats
darnsarf, I drove past here a week or so back, after the cameras had gone, but before the lanes were fully opened, and my thoughts were similar to yours, it looks dangerous to me. I haven't driven it yet, but I think your judgment is about right
M27 - dangerous new layout - Bromptonaut
Don't most of them work that way - the longstanding example on the M6 south of Brum certainly does. As others have said it's much better than forcing lorries to merge with faster moving traffic.

How far in advance of the merge is the first warning sign? I'd expect at least 800yds which is the best part of half a mile.
M27 - dangerous new layout - daveyjp
M62 up to Saddleworth summit from Manchester has been like this for years. Outside lane 'disappears'. The first sign is one mile before the lane ends. Impatience is the only reason to get caught out.

You too will have the joy of three HGVs overtaking each other now - 54,55 and 56mph respectively - enjoy the tailbacks.

pmh mentions the middle lane hog - you will now get the lane three hog. I saw one last Thursday evening at 10pm when it was very quiet. 55mph up the hill in lane 3! At quiet times lane 1 will be totally devoid of traffic with plenty of cars choosing lane 2. I don't know why, it's just how it is!

Edited by daveyjp on 01/09/2008 at 22:54

M27 - dangerous new layout - Dave_TD
the longstanding example on the M6 south of Brum

had a Focus, an Astra and a BMW X5 parked at the top of it this evening after all trying to fit into the same two lanes!
M27 - dangerous new layout - Chris M
Sorry darnarf, but you must be driving with your eyes closed.

"Minimal signing" - look again. There are enormous signs and lots of them, warning of lane 4 merging with lane 3. Stop just looking at the car in front and read the road.

I guess there will be accidents over the coming weeks, but it will be drivers fault for not giving way, not poor road design.
M27 - dangerous new layout - RobertyBob
Unless it is a true climbing lane: signed for heavy/slow vehicles then it is normal to have the lane drop on the outside.

The Standards give detailed requirements for the length of the taper and the positioning of signs. Any Deprature from Standard would require detailed analyses and consideration.

Having said that, highway design these days is all about squeezing quarts into pint pots; especially when improving existing roads. It is quite possible that the length of taper has been squeezed to the minimum.

Edited by RobertyBob on 02/09/2008 at 14:38

M27 - dangerous new layout - darnsarf
I'll hold my hands up and say it was my fault, I drove it again today and there are indeed signs half a mile from the lane merge (assuming they didn't put them up last night, mutter mutter..). I guess I drove assuming that the road did what it used to do, I've been along that stretch of road every working day (well almost) for the last 14 years so it came as a shock to be faced with something different. I still think it's poor design mind you.
M27 - dangerous new layout - Chris M
I've just travelled along the stretch of road. Signs at 1/2 mile, 380yds and 200yds.