Move over - this'll learn ya. - davidh
I like the middle lane of the motorway.It suits me. I get a good view of all the traffic around me and I'm not constantly having to pull in or out or get boxed in behind slower traffic in the inside lane.

I also like doing 70mph - as fast as I can legally go.

Why is it then, there is a certain fraternity that pull out of the inside lane, come up behind me in the middle lane then indicate into the outside lane, pass me then slot back in to the inside lane to "overly demonstrate" that I shouldnt be in the middle lane. Or imply that I could/should move over as I am too far from the slower truck in the inside lane to warrant being in the middle lane at 70mph.

If drivers behind me are going to get so shirty about me in the middle lane at 70mph, then why do they hurl past me therefore breaking the speed limit?

Its either ironic,hypocritical or I'm paranoid.

Anyone on here care to admit to "lesson teaching"?
Move over - this'll learn ya. - valmiki

Wohoo! I'm first.

Could try reading the highway code, but hey at least you're doing 70. Or so you think.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - jase1
No undertaking, remember?

If there's space for them to undertake without hitting the loud pedal too hard, there's space for you to stop mimsing in the middle lane.

If there's space for them to go left-middle-right-overtake-middle-left, there's *certainly* enough space for you to get out of the way.

Having said all that, if you are genuinely overtaking lorries (and we're not just talking about one half a mile away), then it is a judgement call. The other driver is still right to overtake rather than undertake though.

If there's *nothing* on the left lane, you are one of those drivers I'd have taken off the road in all honesty. Sorry but them's the breaks.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Screwloose

Call it what you like; unless you have your speedo regularly calibrated, you're just hogging the middle lane at 63 for no reason if a car doing a genuine 70 can close, pull out, overtake and then return to the correct - and clearly very empty - lane.
> Anyone on here care to admit to "lesson teaching"?

Oh, and yes, yes I do this all the time. If there is nothing on the left, I will go all the way around the middle-lane hog.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - hxj

I don't teach lessons, I just drive in the correct lane as often as I can.

So if I come up behind you at 75-80 in the left hand lane, pull into the middle lane behind you, then into the righthand lane to go past you then back into the middle lane and then the lefthand lane again, how is that teaching you a lesson. Unless of course you are feeling sensitive ;-).

I'm simply driving in line with the highway code. Although I tend not to pull in if I think that I am going to have to pull out again in 10 or so seconds.

Whilst I might be tempted to undertake or flash my lights as I come up I simply don't ever do it. Might swear at you under my breath though.
> Although I tend not to pull in if I think that I am going to have to pull out again in 10 or so seconds.

This is fine -- but it only works if you're paying attention.

Indeed I'll sit on the outside lane and overtake a string of spaced-out traffic -- BUT I keep an eye on the rear mirror for cars who are travelling faster than I am. If there's one coming up I'll pull in ASAP.

This is where I think people fall down -- inadequate checks while in the overtaking lane.
So, I take it hogging the middle lane is a worse motoring faux-pas than speeding?

Oh well, thats me learned. I'd best stick to 85 and have impeccable lane discipline then.

Come off it. We have a speed limit on the motorway in this country. Middle lane on an autobahn - bad idea. I'm doing 70 remember.

All those how want to get past and swear under their breath are really swapping one crime fro another. Hypocritical I'd say.
Oh yeah, and dont give me all this impeding other motorists wanting to make progress jive.
Oh yeah and dont give me all this impeding other motorists wanting to make progress
jive.

OK, let's take all other road-users out of the equation for a second.

From the highway code:

"Lane discipline

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past."

As I say, ignore the other people on the road -- why are YOU breaking the HC?

Give us a good reason, and we can take things from there.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - valmiki
Oh yeah and dont give me all this impeding other motorists wanting to make progress
jive.

Troll Alert!
So I take it hogging the middle lane is a worse motoring faux-pas than speeding?
Oh well thats me learned. I'd best stick to 85 and have impeccable lane discipline
then.

So I take it stealing is a worse social faux-pas than vandalism?

Oh well thats me learned. I'd best stick to pickpocketing and not dawb all over walls then.

I've had this conversation before, recently on t'interweb. You're not called Alexia elsewhere are you? I was called all the names under the sun by that one.

Remember, if your speedo says 70 the chances are you're really doing less than 65.

Besides, if you'd just drive properly you'd keep yourself in the right. Who cares what others do? Putting yourself in the wrong for no other reason than pig-headed ignorance removes your right to criticise other road users really.
Move over if you can - Armitage Shanks {p}
I drive at whatever legal speed suits me and fast enough to 'make progress'. I drive in the furthest left lane in which I can do this and if I am not in the left lane I move into it any time I can get there and be in it for 10+ seconds. If I am not in the left lane I check my mirrors a lot!
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Altea Ego
>So, I take it hogging the middle lane is a worse motoring faux-pas than speeding?

No but your attitude is

>Come off it. We have a speed limit on the motorway in this country. Middle lane on an >autobahn - bad idea. I'm doing 70 remember

And you are not empowered or employed to police it so it has nothing to do with you. And no you are not "doing 70" probably about 63mph.

>Hypocritical I'd say.

Selfish roadhog I would say.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - cjehuk
The Highway Code states that you should "keep left unless overtaking". Frequently I'll be on Cruise Control at 70mph set (Digital read out) and have to come all the way out and then all the way back. Sometimes the number of people doing this is so ridiculously high that I'll end up passing them on the inside... wrong yes, but if there's room enough to pass there then there's room enough to move over too.

Move over and drive in the left hand lane - if everyone did this the motorways would be significantly less congested as their capacity would increase by nearly 1/3.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Brian Tryzers
>Frequently I'll be on Cruise Control at 70mph set (Digital read out) and have to come all the way out and then all the way back.

At the risk of diverting the discussion CJEHUK, I don't think cruise control is appropriate if you are encountering a lot of other vehicles. It removes your ability to fine-tune your position relative to other traffic, with the result that you can spend an undue amount of time in other drivers' blind spots or just behind them and preventing them from pulling out, when it would be more courteous to hang back or hurry through. It can also cost you a vital half-second (and potentially a laundry and valeting bill) if the vehicle you're about to pass pulls out in front of you.

And, incidentally, I wouldn't expect a digital speedo to be any more accurate than a dial - it takes the same feed from the ABS sensors as anything else. Have you tried timing yours over a measured mile (16-and-a-bit 100m markers) with the CC set at 70? I'll be surprised if it beats 55 seconds, or about 65mph.

Can't fault you on the last point, though.

}:---)
Move over - this'll learn ya. - cjehuk
Will - cruise on the Audi TT is able to be set in 1mph increments and appears accurate to within 1mph on a GPS. When set to 70 on the digital display the need reads around 71-72mph. I am more than aware of potential for taking "forever" to pass or creeping up and avoid doing this, moderating my speed up or down a few mph where necessary. I generally manage to drive some pretty long distances without coming off cruise by doing this. I have once managed all the way from home to the Inlaws (about 290 miles) only coming off cruise to stop at services a couple of times - I enjoy the challenge of anticipation and balancing speeds.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - L'escargot
I think davidh is trying to wind us up, so I won't comment further.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - wotspur
O/P most importantly, people who stay in one lane, in your case the middle lane become less focused, they only look ahead and concentrate less as they aren't doing anything to keep their mind sharp.
Motorists who overtake, change lanes,using all available empty spaces, takes useage of all the mirrors, spacial awareness, and hopefully signal, etc and therefore concentrate far greater.
Rule of thumb, if more cars are in your rear view mirror than are ahead, and more cars are overtaking you, than you are overtaking, and there is empty space to the left, move over.
Yes, when necessary I will swoop over
Move over - this'll learn ya. - b308
I think davidh is trying to wind us up

Either that or extremely ignorant...

And there's a good reason you wouldn't do it in Germany - the Police would book you, I've seen 'em do it! (oh and much of the Autobahns are two lane anyhow!!).
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Dog
As I've stated elsewhere, I drive to what the road conditions dictate and I personally find the 70MPH limit too low and I tend to nod off due to boredom - I need to drive fast to focus my attention ...
If I was on the inside lane doing 85MPH and there was "a mimser" in the middle lane, I would undertake him/her.
You can all get back on your trollies as there are no motorways in Cornwall and so I haven't done this for years.

Dog.

Move over - this'll learn ya. - R40
I think davidh is trying to wind us up so I won't comment further.

Agreed.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - movilogo
It entirely depends on circumstances.

During daytime, I usually stay at middle lane (doing 75ish) because lane 1 is reserved for trucks (in reality) and it's an irritation to juggle between lane 1 & 2 every now and then.

However, on odd hours (eg. I was cruising on M1 on Saturday at 2 am) the motorway is nearly empty and I see no reason for hogging up middle lane.

Yep, this is the kind of driver orientated descision making I was rather clumsily trying to illustrate. Thanks Movilogo, I think you've spotted what I was aiming at.

Move over - this'll learn ya. - FP
"As I say, ignore the other people on the road -- why are YOU breaking the HC?

"Give us a good reason, and we can take things from there."

Here's the reason he does it (maybe not a good reason):

"I like the middle lane of the motorway.It suits me. I get a good view of all the traffic around me and I'm..."

Notice the frequent use of "I" and "me". No-one else matters, certainly not the Highway Code.

"I think davidh is trying to wind us up" - either that, or he's self-centred and arrogant.

Or maybe he's winding us up AND he's self-centred and arrogant. Otherwise, why make the posting in the first place?
Move over - this'll learn ya. - oldnotbold
www.lum.co.uk/mloc/ has all you need to know.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Bilboman
MLOC - love it!
More motorists should join!
Given that there are already 10 million members in the M25 area alone, we are looking at a major political force in the next election. Middle of the road politics for evermore!
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Tron
DaveH aka Victor Meldrew? - your (Troll/mimser?) post just shows, if it is genuine, how selfish a person you are.

Okay, hands up. I've made a mistake here with this post. Sorry. Probably should have thought about it a bit more. I genuinely thought the post would sink without trace. I didnt expect it to provoke as much ire. I'm especially astonished that someone has carried with them the grief of a forum spat elsewhere on the net on this subject!!

I stand by my like of the middle lane.

I was trying to elbow the "self appointed, knights of the road" I think I've done that.

Everyone knows that in reality we should all stick by the HW code and keep left. Thats a no-brainer and a given.

Every so often, and I admit it, I make a concious descision to ride the middle lane. I even admit to "forgetting" to move back over. Perhaps I should go for driver re-training I dont know.

My beef is with those who overly "swing all over" the carriageways and speed (cos I'm actually doing an actual 70) in an attempt to "show you how its done"

On the M62 west bound last night from Goole to Leeds - driving rain. Anyone who knows that stretch will know that some kind lorry driver has put a groove in the inside lane all the way from Goole (when I join the m/way) to Leeds. Said groove collects a considerable amount of water and corrupts the steering.

I felt justified in riding the middle lane. Also, periods when there are junction after junction.

Move over - this'll learn ya. - Number_Cruncher
>>I felt justified in riding the middle lane.

It doesn't matter what you felt, what you did was wrong, and was plain bad driving. Middle lane hogging is a bad habit, for which there is no justification. Please consider ridding yourself of this vice.

It doesn't matter what speed you are doing, hogging the middle lane is indefensibly bad driving, and places you very firmly in contention for a king mimser award.

Move over - this'll learn ya. - DP
Symptomatic of the increasingly popular attitude on the roads.

Speed has been peddled by the powers that be as the root of all evil for so long now that bad driving in general has been trivialised.

"It's OK to sit in the middle lane because I'm sticking to the speed limit." is one I've heard many times. Oh, and "I wasn't speeding" was the first thing said by the driver of a car which had just rear ended my friend's on the motorway, as it was by the young lad who demolished the telephone box at the end of our street last year when texting his girlfriend on his mobile phone. Well, that's OK then, it was obviously divine intervention that caused you to destroy your car and a few grands worth of someone else's property.

I feel far less safe as a passenger in a car being driven badly than being driven quickly. Of course, both together are very scary indeed.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 01/09/2008 at 13:51

Move over - this'll learn ya. - Screwloose

On a related point; today is an excellent day to chack your speedo accuracy.

Find a 58-plate artic and follow him. [You do, very occasionally, find them in the middle lane too; so the freshly-crucified OP won't have to move over.]

He'll have brand-new tyres calibrated to the tacho/speed-limiter, 20 times more accurate than a car's; on a slight downhill, he'll be doing 56-57 max - and your speedo is showing......? Ahh...

[The alternative is to do 30.001 mph in N Wales - for the few that will still go there.]
Okay. I give in. Sarcasm firmly switched off.

I've aired my dirty washing here. Admitted to wrongly using the middle lane. You'll find no argument from me on that. I know its wrong to the highway code when I do it.

I WILL have in my driving career inconvenienced people out there even though I dont exactly hang around. Can anyone, perhaps Movilogo aside see that my argument/point is that sometimes people driving fast(er) than the speed limit see other people as inconvenient, selfish, mimserish? And ultimately its these people that are the hypocrites out there?

I wanted to know how many people thought speeding was okay. Some people must cos otherwise you wouldnt be "swing past me" in to the inside lane.

In strictly by the book mode, I wouldnt expect to catch anyone up thats doing the speed limit.

No, its not my job to slow people down and purposefully stymy them. I dont care what they do (I do really - be safe out there). I care what I do and how I react to the road and situations as they develop.

Move over - this'll learn ya. - FP
"An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial ... messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response ..."

(Wikipedia)
Whos that trip-trapping across my bridge?

Thanks for that good old wikipedia.

Here's me thinking it was a discussion forum. You know, an exchange of ideas - I dont get some kind of kinky satisfaction from getting peoples "dander" up.

If you think I'm wrong about something - tell me. Educate me if you will. I've learnt a lot on here.

Lets not be vanilla. Talk sense, be honest. An emotional reponse is the best fuel for lively debate isnt it?
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Armitage Shanks {p}
"Lets not be vanilla." Please can we have this English? Please tell us what medication you are on - so that we can avoid it!
>"Lets not be vanilla."

Never got the idea of vanilla as something bland, myself. It's a gorgeously subtle flavour, one of my favourites. I love getting a hint of it somewhere unexpected, like whisky or chocolate.

Ah, motoring link, ah...'vanilla' is also the Spanish word for a particularly light light goods vehicle.
};---)
>>I love getting a hint of it somewhere unexpected...

Try a pint of Marston's Firestoker!

Move over - this'll learn ya. - Nsar
>>I care what I do and how I react to the road and situations as they develop.<<

That's the attitude of a driver who is alert to his responsibilities to other road users, but forcing someone in the left hand lane travelling faster than you to move out and then back in across two lanes is being selfish
> I care what I do and how I react to the road and situations as they develop.

In isolation, a good attitude. But it doesn't have much to do with speed limits. Most of us - enforcement officers included - apply a little latitude to the absolute values of speed limits, and 75mph is far safer in most motorway settings than is 33mph (or even 28mph) in a busy town.
Where it becomes dangerous on a motorway is when someone insists on driving much faster than the rest of the traffic. Most days on the M40, I'll see something - usually black and German - barrelling up the right-hand lane only to have to brake abruptly when someone driving at a more normal speed fails to anticipate its arrival and moves out in front of it. The speed itself is not the problem - an alert driver on a deserted motorway would do it quite safely - but it's as inconsiderate of fellow travellers as hogging the middle lane.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - borasport20
Why is it then there is a certain fraternity that pull out of the inside
lane come up behind me in the middle lane then indicate into the outside lane
pass me then slot back

Would you rather they passed you on the inside ?
Would you rather they passed you on the inside ?

Don't kick a man when he's down -- I think he's as good as acknowledged the error of his ways.

The difference between davidh and a mimser is that David is intelligent enough to detect that something is amiss, and do something about it when its pointed out.

And to be fair there is no real excuse for hurtling around everywhere at 95mph. The fact that we all do it is immaterial!
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Nsar
I drove very late at night earlier this week seeting off at 1.30am on all but deserted motorways and found that I had no desire to go above (ahem) mph even though it was a long journey and a very high speed for once would have knocked a fair bit of time off it as I knew I wouldn't meet any hold-ups.

Yet the same journey in normal traffic would have me chomping at the bit to floor it - maybe it's just a competitve urge that we dress up as the desire to get somewhere quickly.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - bathtub tom
>>And to be fair there is no real excuse for hurtling around everywhere at 95mph. The fact that we all do it is immaterial!

Sweeping generalisation!
Both my cars will probably attain that sort of speed, but I never have while driving them. Perhaps I'm a mimser ;>)
Move over - this'll learn ya. - pendulum

If by that, you mean does anyone else move from the inside all the way over to the outside to overtake a middle land hog, and then back again, I put my hand up.

It's not really to teach you a lesson; it's because I mark you down as potentially being very 'thick'. If you're driving down the middle of the road for no reason, what else am I to think? I wouldn't want to undertake you, as your obvious lack of skill and knowledge is a warning to me - you might move back to the inside just as I am undertaking. So I overtake you instead. It's nothing personal.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Lud
In the early days of motorways, when they were often empty or nearly so, a friend used to use the middle lane because he said it minimised the sensation of speed (he always drove more or less flat out everywhere). His observation was correct.

There is another reason why car drivers prefer the middle lane to the slow lane even when there is no slow traffic: the ruts beaten into the slow lane by HGVs, which upset the tracking of some small cars making them a bit restless and uncomfortable to steer. Others seem much less affected.

There is nothing wrong with hogging the middle lane on an empty or nearly empty motorway, although it looks untidy. What is wrong is to obstruct other traffic unnecessarily or to be consistently unaware of what is coming up behind you.
There is nothing wrong with hogging the middle lane on an empty or nearly empty
motorway although it looks untidy. What is wrong is to obstruct other traffic unnecessarily or
to be consistently unaware of what is coming up behind you.

Fair comment -- the problem though is that, just like use of indicators when there's no-one about, this can lead to laziness and bad practice if people get complacent about it.

Agree with you in principle though -- I tend to do it myself (along with driving right down the middle of a two-laner at night -- safest place to be).
Okay, before I sign off on this one, let me get this straight.

1) Travelling in the middle lane or the outer lane 3 for longer than necessary is wrong.
2) We don?t actually know how long longer than necessary is.
3) Although in the UK the motorway speed limit is 70, we know unofficially we can get away with 80.
4) We must treat lane one (inside lane) as though there is an electromagnet constantly pulling our cars in to it from lanes 2 and 3.
5) We know that trucks that heavily populate the inside lane want/need to travel at 56 mph, so we must equal or travel faster than 56 mph.
6) From 5) above, we have a window between 56 mph and 80 mph.

So in conclusion, the slower you drive above 56 mph the more often you will be in the inside lane and the more time you will spend in it.

As you go faster, then the gaps between slower traffic in the inside lane become notionally narrower so you in effect spend more and more time in lane two and oscillate into lane one less therefore giving the impression to faster road users that you are a mimser in lane 2 even though you could be doing 70+.

Further, if you go faster still, you will start dicing with traffic in lane two and feel the need to go in to lane three. So logically to me, I would have to then go back in to lane two after the over take and then lane one.

Hang on then. What that means is I'm now dicing with the 56mph gang who I'll catch up with pretty quickly in our crowded motorways cos I'm now doing a socially acceptable indicated 80. I'm soon back in to lane two, then lane 3 again.

All this swinging about across lanes trying to maintain a speed is making me work hard mirror signal manoevering and making an accident more possible? If I'm doing 80 in the middle lane why have we got a lane 3 then?

Why is lane 3 supposedly for overtaking only then? That would seem to apply to lane 2 also.

We must therefore have a system that penalises slower drivers - you have to duck in to the inside lane more.

56 mph drivers lane 1 == low work load
65 mph drivers lane 1 occasional lane 2 == medium work load
75 mph drivers lanes 1,2 and 3 == high work load
85 mph++ drivers lanes 3 occasion lane 2 == medium work load

Seems that the sweet spot is 65 mph moving between lanes 1 and 2. Decent progress and fuel economy and safest, inside the law and less tiring. There wont be too much effect on journey times either.

I'd be tempted however to swish straight over to lane 3 and do 90 though as it would be :-

A) exciting
B) I'd get where I was going faster
C) I'd feel superior over slower cars
D) I wouldn?t have to go in to lane 1 at all and have to brake as much or indeed get boxed in.
E) I could intimidate people with my car I wouldn?t dream of doing in a social situation.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - David Horn
Me - I do this but enjoy swinging from lane 1 to lane 3 and back to lane 1 for emphasis. This is at 70-72 on the GPS, which is showing 75-80 on the speedometer.
"Hang on then. What that means is I'm now dicing with the 56mph gang who I'll catch up with pretty quickly in our crowded motorways cos I'm now doing a socially acceptable indicated 80. I'm soon back in to lane two, then lane 3 again.

I'd be tempted however to swish straight over to lane 3 and do 90 though as it would be :-

D) I wouldn?t have to go in to lane 1 at all and have to brake as much or indeed get boxed in."

I don't know what the roads are like where you are, but these comments seem to be cemented by a view that the roads are chock-a-block with cars.

In my experience this just ain't the case. Most of the time even the 130mph drivers can remain in the inside lane on most roads. There just isn't that much traffic around most of the time.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - GroovyMucker
The problem really becomes acute when you have a procession in the middle lane, with none of them prepared to move back into the appropriate lane. This reduces a three-lane road to one with only two lanes.

I appreciate taking proper note of what is going on around you is more difficult than simply trundling down the middle lane (not wishing to be rude, although it sounds like that I know!) but the roads are getting more and more crowded and we don't have the space for people to take up two lanes for themselves.

The concomitant, of course, is that those in the overtaking lanes need to be more prepared to let out those driving considerately in the inside/inner lane(s).

BTW, I was surprised to see the same problem in France on three-lane roads (but not on two-lane ones).

The concomitant of course is that those in the overtaking lanes need to be more
prepared to let out those driving considerately in the inside/inner lane(s).

Yes.
That is the key. It would be an incentive to be disciplined with the lanes.

The middle lane hogger is not only selfish to those wanting to go faster but also to those that are in the inside lane fast approaching the back end of a lorry.

May be its todays society. "I want to pass you, you inner lane user you. I'm in the middle lane. Theres nothing you can do. I can see that you're going to have to slow down to match the truck in front of you, ha ha ha I have superiority and control over you" Muaaahahahaha
Move over - this'll learn ya. - quizman
As a Daily Mail reader I would have these middle lane hoggers shot.
Quite often when I come across them I wish I were in James Bond's Aston Martin, then I could give them a blast of my twin machine guns. Or overtake, preferably on the inside, then give them a brake test, then lay some oil down.

Middle lane hoggers make me really mad.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Roger Jones
Now where is it? Ah, got it. Dust it off and present with flourish: when resurfacing motorways, use rough and noisy stuff on lane 3, slightly less rough and noisy stuff on lane 2, and super-smooth and near-silent stuff on lane 1.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - Paddler Ed
I got taught that the savest lane to be in is the inside lane (aka as the slow lane) as it's the lane that 99% of the time leaves you with an option if it goes to pot in front of you; there's always the hard shoulder rather than another lane of traffic or the armco.

I do get frustrated with the middle lane owners club, I know that my car's speedo is out when compared to my satnav (running at 12foot accuracy it shows a difference of about 6mph to the car's indicated speed)
75 mph drivers lanes 1 2 and 3 == high work load

Only if they keep coming across people like you who hog the middle land when you can safely use the inside lane.... otherwise their workload is no different to any of the others...

Think about it!!
Move over - this'll learn ya. - FotheringtonThomas
Okay before I sign off on this one let me get this straight.
1) Travelling in the middle lane or the outer lane 3 for longer than necessary
is wrong.

Yup.

5) We know that trucks that heavily populate the inside lane want/need to travel at
56 mph so we must equal or travel faster than 56 mph.

Nope. They can overtake slower traffic, like anyone else.

6) From 5) above we have a window between 56 mph and 80 mph.

Assumptions based on some sort of imaginary 56MPH minimum speed limit are unfounded.

I'd be tempted however to swish straight over to lane 3 and do 90 though
as it would be :-
A) exciting
B) I'd get where I was going faster
C) I'd feel superior over slower cars
D) I wouldn?t have to go in to lane 1 at all and have to
brake as much or indeed get boxed in.
E) I could intimidate people with my car I wouldn?t dream of doing in a
social situation.

Don't be bitter - do the right thing!
Move over - this'll learn ya. - barney100
Yep, I've been guilty of 'teaching'. Though Ic an see the logic of the I'm doing seventy bit hogging the middle lane snarls the motorway up too....can't really see a black and white here.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - PW
Just wondering how many middle lane hoggers have noticed an increase cars/ vans with trailers in lane 3?

Have seen a huge increase in this in recent years.

And next time any middle lane hogger is reading this is stuck in a rolling jam on the motorway (from 50- 80 mph) just glance over to the left to see how much space is available to ease the congestion.

And yes I do go from lane 1 to lane 3 and back again for middle lane hoggers. I dont drive down the middle of ordinary two lane roads, or lane 2 of empty dual carriageways so why should a motorway be different?
Move over - this'll learn ya. - bananastand
Ha ha - I thought I was annoying! Dude, MOVE. OVER.

He seems to have put a lot of energy into defending his position, whilst giving a little ground here and there. MOVE. OVER.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - bananastand
quizman - giving them the brake test would be highly irresponsible and dangerous. Also, on paper, it would be their fault for being too close.

Ha ha.
Lightly flamed! - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think OP has stuck his neck out a bit and been quite well treated overall; I don't think we go in for flaming here - or only very lightly!

I go to other sites where the progress of what passes for a discussion is:-

1 Bald statement of fact
2 Blunt contradiction
3 Serious verbal abuse

It doesn't go like that here I am glad to say! Long may it be so!
When the road is empty, it's all yours and you can straighten roundabouts, take the racing line round bends and generally get a move on with no drama. When other vehicles are in sight even it behooves a proper driver to behave with decorum.

Driving down the middle lane at the speed limit or preferably a bit over when the nearside lane is full of 56mph trucks is OK. But waddling down it with head sunk between shoulders at the same speed as the nearside lane, or indeed any speed below the limit unless (as so deplorably often) held up by cars in front, constitutes lane hogging on a motorway and is deplorable, a form of mimsing. I remember arguing with NowWheels about this. She said she didn't want to go over about sixty and felt intimidated when held up in the middle lane, trapped and threatened on the busy M6. Actually we all know the feeling, anyway I certainly do. The solution is to get on it and get out of it by pressing the loud pedal. If you can't do that you shouldn't drive on motorways, for your own sake and everyone else's. Harsh but true.
> The solution is to get on it and get out of it by pressing the loud pedal. <

This is the problem. We shouldn't need to do this, but it's often inevitable.

I've lost track of the number of times I've decided to be sensible and stick to a steady pace on the inside lane to save fuel and sanity, only to find that I come to a piece of road occupied by 10,000 trucks and associated mimsing 60mph types clogging up the middle lane.

With the reps all doing 90 on the outside lane (and the rest sometimes), I am not the kind of driver who would willingly hold anyone up, so I have a choice -- do I mimse along with the rest of them or do I put the foot down.

After 15 minutes of this the need to apply pressure to the right foot gets the better of me every time.

If the mimsers would just get a move on, move up to 70 or get in the inside lane, none of that would be necessary.
I suppose what I meant jase was that the comfortable place on a motorway is in the two outer lanes, because motorways are adapted to fast traffic and 56 is too damn slow. It's true that since I stopped driving at 100 whenever possible I have sometimes felt a certain pressure to go over my chosen cruise for a few hundred yards under the sort of circumstances you mention, but it doesn't often happen.

Everything I say is based on drivers feeling comfortable and relaxed at those speeds, often surrounded by gauche or ill-mannered other drivers they have to watch out for. If the whole enterprise slowly winds you into a tense ball, or just terrifies you out of your wits, it shouldn't be attempted.
Hey Lud, hats of to you!

May be you're taking the same recreational drugs as some people have postulated that I do!

What you have commented in this thread is, as usual, a much more eloquent version of how I feel on todays motorways.

I'm not a mimser either. I like to think I'm considerate too and sometimes pushed about on the road.

I think i have been only slightly toasted on this thread - and treated well - definately no hard feelings.

But come on guys, do we just have to jump on middle lane users and bandy about words such as "selfish" "ignorant" etc etc.

My original post was to muse the pro's of being in the middle lane and the fact I like it there and I'm doing 70. I have never suggested holding anyone up, being in the way, or indeed being pig-headed about it all. Or for that matter, not using the inside lane when appropriate.

If you were driving along the motorway normally I bet you wouldnt actually notice me.

The conjestion on todays motorways means that we are all stressed that little bit and its a bit mano-a-mano at times.

How is that being a troll? Had someone best not post because it flies in the face of received wisdom or is just plain wrong?

I have a sneaking suspicion that some amongst us confuse "normal" drivers like me for mimsers or hoggers or patently un-able to handle an automobile and should have it confiscated.

Me thinks some protest too much :-)))
>>I have never suggested holding anyone up, being in the way,...

But, you did. If someone has to go from lane 1, to 2, to 3, and then back to lane 1 to overtake you, you were in the way, and should have been in lane 1 all the while.

>>But come on guys, do we just have to jump on middle lane users and bandy about words such as "selfish" "ignorant" etc etc.

Middle lane users; fine, no problems. Middle lane hogs, on the other hand, should be used as the foundation for future middle lanes if they like being there so much.

That Lud is becoming an apologist for middle lane hogs is a rather worrying development.

becoming an apologist for middle lane hogs

Er... I don't think that was what I was being. I said it was OK to stay in the middle lane when the nearside one was full of slow stuff, but not driving slowly. I said it wasn't OK to be unaware of stuff coming up behind. I didn't bother to say that it would embarrass me to drive down the middle lane with a succession of faster vehicles coming up behind in the nearside lane and driving all the way round me, or undertaking me as HJ might. I thought that would go without saying.
becoming an apologist for middle lane hogs

>>Er... I don't think that was what I was being.

You did go on to say more than this snippet of your prose, "There is nothing wrong with hogging the middle lane...", but, in itself, the use of the word hog is worrying from one who is no supporter of mimsers. Perhaps I'm being over-sensitive, but hogging implies taking in excess of one's due, i.e., an inappropriate use the middle lane.

>>I have never suggested holding anyone up being in the way ...
But you did. If someone has to go from lane 1 to 2 to 3
and then back to lane 1 to overtake you you were in the way and
should have been in lane 1 all the while.

Whoa! Hold on there!

So I have to be responsible for those tearing up behind me at the sound barrier who are in the inside lane? Its common practice now-adays for people to use the inside lane in-between wagons on a congested motorway to "gain advantage" on busy lanes 2 and 3.

These smug persons break the speed limit by large amounts in the inside lane, drop back when they meet me, as the chances are they are about to be boxed in by a wagon they've inevitably caught up wit, swing around via lane 3 as described then power off into the sunset back again in lane one.

Smug, self satisfied speeders who technically dont undertake but drive fast and erratically.

In their small mind they are using the lanes correctly and self justify themselves that they stick to the inside lane.

The poor chap doing actual 75 in the middle lane, overtaking wagons that are debatably spaced has no chance.
But come on guys do we just have to jump on middle lane users and
bandy about words such as "selfish" "ignorant" etc etc.

Why not? They block the smooth progress of everyone else by their selfishness!
Me thinks some protest too much :-)))

>>

You perhaps??

Like you I drive at an indicated 70mph when I use the motorways and use cruise to keep me at that speed, I don't find any problem in using the left hand lane whenever possible and I find that making sure I use the correct lane keeps me alert and aware of what is going on around me, sometimes I do come across people using the middle lane whose speedo is obviously is very slightly slower than mine (or they vary their speed +/- 5mph) and they are a pain in the backside, especially when I have to use the third lane to get past them and they then speed up!
Those are true motorway mimsers and lane hogs b308. They are very dangerous actually.
>> But come on guys do we just have to jump on middle lane users
and
>> bandy about words such as "selfish" "ignorant" etc etc.
>>
Why not? They block the smooth progress of everyone else by their selfishness!
>> Me thinks some protest too much :-)))
>>
You perhaps??
Like you I drive at an indicated 70mph when I use the motorways and use
cruise to keep me at that speed I don't find any problem in using the
left hand lane whenever possible and I find that making sure I use the correct
lane keeps me alert and aware of what is going on around me sometimes I
do come across people using the middle lane whose speedo is obviously is very slightly
slower than mine (or they vary their speed +/- 5mph) and they are a pain
in the backside especially when I have to use the third lane to get past
them and they then speed up!

I must be thick. How is that me?

I have said I drive at 70 (actual)

You wouldnt even catch me- you'd be pacing me. going with me.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - jbif

for starters:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=42...2

for dessert:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=53...8
"This happens a lot to me. "

First point

Okay. Perhaps a polite "whoops remember not to quote all of it" would've surficed? Youre not a self appointed knight of internet forums as well as the road are you?

Second point

Judging people you've never met. Getting personal with it. Hmmm. All I know about you or would even deign to guess is that you can search old posts.

Please leave it out. Whatever your point is.

Will you stretch my jumper next?
You said:
>> >> Me thinks some protest too much :-)))

I said:
>> You perhaps??

The reference "you perhaps" related to the all the posts you have made trying to justify yourself....

The other paragraph was just showing that you can drive at a constant speed around what you say you are driving at AND use the inside lane when appropriate.... you don't have to hog the middle lane....

Edited by b308 on 01/09/2008 at 22:30

Okay okay :-)

At the end of the day, it doesnt matter what anyone on here says to me on this subject. I appreciate the comments very much but contrary to how it looks I'm not fighting a rear guard action over this thread.

Dont agree with me with on it. Fine.

My comment about protest too much was simply that it hailed brickbats greater than I think it deserved.

I was trying to provoke discussion on the seamier side of motorway driving. Maybe even to drag out an admission from someone that they are a patronising motorway driver on the make who speeds and hides behind superficial lane discipline?
Move over - this'll learn ya. - MichaelR
I was trying to provoke discussion on the seamier side of motorway driving. Maybe even
to drag out an admission from someone that they are a patronising motorway driver on
the make who speeds and hides behind superficial lane discipline?

The thing is, you drive in an anti-social manner. People doing 80 on the M5 do not.

Get back to the nearside lane or get the bus.
Move over - this'll learn ya. - jbif
pull out of the inside lane, come up behind me in the middle lane then indicate into the outside lane, pass me then slot back in to the inside lane

If someone is able to do this, then clearly the middle-lane hogger has no manners and is utterly selfish and is a very poor driver. Middle-lane hoggers like him should be prosecuted fined £1000 minimum, and automatically given 12 points.

Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - Tron
tiny.cc/2wQOO

Explained in full.

Edited by Tron on 01/09/2008 at 21:17

Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - Lud
I think davidh is trying to justify dawdling along in the middle lane even when the nearside one is clear for long stretches, thus getting in the way of heavy faster traffic, feeling flustered by it, and badmouthing other drivers to cover his shame. But he is a bit of a troll and does shift about rather.
Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - davidh
Thats funny LUD :-))

Had a look at the youtube clip about middle lane hogging. I do agree with what they say. The policemen are professionals so I'm not about to go against them.

Funny how there was no mention of excess speed. Wouldnt do for the program to say "Get out of the way of speeders" now would it? We've all seen footage of perhap some one in a three wheeler causing havoc.

The implication of it all was that lane hogs are driving slower than the limit or even the prevailing traffic. Thats NOT where I'm coming from - I will indeed get out of someones way but 99 percent of the time, there's no need. I wouldnt be paying attention if I didnt know what was behind me.

Yes and before some smart alec says "oh 99 percent? really?" "There 20000 cars per hour on the M6 so you are obstructing 200 cars per hour, by 5 seconds, thats 16 minutes an hour" Youre costing the economy 25 percent of the uk average wage!

The crux of what I started out to say was that its funny how anyone can be a lane hog if youre going slower than the person screaming up to you.

Looks like I've seriously misjudged this one.

Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - b308
Excess speed doesn't cause tailbacks, someone blocking the middle lane does, perhaps thats why its not mentioned?

Someone did some research about it and that was the estimated figure, whilst it obviously wasn't 100% accurate there is no doubt that those staying in the middle lane when the inside is free do cause congestion, that much is proven....

I think we've given you plenty of reasons why you should give up your illegal and anti-social habit, Dave, but we ain't going to get you to change your mind, that much is obvious from your replies, but I would challenge you on one point, you have said that you are aware of whats going on around you and if needbe you'll move over... I think that you'll find that research also has been done showing that people who "hog" one lane all the lime become less and less aware of what is going on as boredom sets in... not that I'm saying that will ever happen to you! ;)

Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - Dog
As I've stated b4, I drive to what the road conditions dictate ... now if I'm driving along in the "slow" lane, and I see with my beedie eye a lorry or other slow-moving vehicle some fair distance ahead, I will pull out to Davids lane very early and stay there & be damned, till I pass the vehicle - goodness how many times have I been blocked in for not following this 'rule' ... but I'll return to the"slow" lane when *conditions* dictate.

Dog.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/09/2008 at 19:49

Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - davidh
Yes. Thanks Dog.

Says it all for me really - glad I didnt say it though.

Well, I it dont know how to leave a thread - whats forum etiquet? Just dont post further on the subject or reply? I've lost momentum, beated, a spent man.

Dunno. See ya on another thread.
Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - b308
Says it all for me really - glad I didnt say it though.

But its not what you said you were doing! - Dog said that he uses the inside lane as a matter of course but sometimes pulls out early to prevent getting blocked in when overtaking - there's nothing wrong with that, its sensible driving - you initially indicated that you stay in the middle lane all the time, even when its clear you could be using the inside lane perfectly safely, as you clearly said that cars were able to overtake you and move back into the inside lane... So you agree with Dog's driving, which is also what I do?! Good, I'll see you in the inside lane when you are not overtaking, then!

Talk about confusing!!!

Edited by b308 on 02/09/2008 at 10:32

Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - Ed V
How interesting!

Mainly for the sense of decorum, although occasionally stretched...

Also, that there seems to be consensus on speeding. Why do we accept 70? If a Morris Minor or Datusn Sunny was allowed to travel at that speed in 1965, why should an Audi A8 today? Patently, a half decent alert driver can travel quite safely at 100 in good conditions.

Sadly I'm too old for all that, and tend to 'cruise control' along at 75.
Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I know accurately what speed I'm doing in the car from my Road Angel GPS and set my cruise control accordingly. Recently I've noticed some cars re-passing me several times . I always try to overtake at a fair speed differential and open up a decent gap.
Why come past me again?
Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - FotheringtonThomas
I (..) set my cruise control (..) I've noticed some cars re-passing me several times
Why come past me again?

Perhaps they're fiddling with their cruise control settings.

Perhaps they're travelling at slightly higher or lower speeds from time to time to take into account the road conditions.
Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - Tron
The will to live....

Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - Adam {P}
I've held my tongue for I would dearly love to post in this thread but I'm afraid time is a commodity I do not have as I've just set up a race with my fellow workmates; whoever makes it to the end of the M57 in the shortest amount of time buys lunch.

Forgot to say - we can't leave the middle lane for the duration of the challenge.
Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - Screwloose
Forgot to say - we can't leave the middle lane for the duration of the challenge.

Did you tel them that you'd borrowed a fire engine?
Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - Lud
So the roughest looking bloke in the roughest looking car with the brightest headlights and the loudest horn should win, provided he (or are there some girls too?) has nerves of steel in matters like extreme tailgating.

Go for it Adam!

On reflection it occurs to me that the objective may be to come last.

Edited by Lud on 03/09/2008 at 15:15

What they don't know is, even though my car looks nice and clean, I really couldn't care less if it gets battered and dented. But the fire engine is a good idea....damn...wish I'd thought of that sooner.

I'm definitely going to win. I'm sure of it.

I'll keep you updated.
>>On reflection it occurs to me that the objective may be to come last. <<

That's the ace up my sleeve Lud.
Move over - this'll learn ya - no this will - legacylad
This post reminds me of a track by Chuck Brodsky...'Blow 'em away' which we played whilst barrelling down Highway 50 from Tahoe earlier this year. Very much TIC, but funny lyrics ...the first time around.