00 1.6 would you recommend one? - polecat10
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on this car.
I'm planning to buy a 1.6 petrol V reg Astra estate with 32,000 miles on the clock from a dealer. Is this a reliable car? or are they prone to expensive problems compared to a similar focus etc?

It has a service history but appears to have gone a couple of years between services due to the low miles- is this a problem.

Also any tips on things to look for before i buy it?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
Mike.

00 1.6 would you recommend one? - Number_Cruncher
If an 8valve engine, ask the garage to have the ECU software updated by Vauxhall to disable EGR. Check carefully for clutch judder when cold - especially when cold and damp.

In my experience, the 8v engines, and this shape of Astra isn't prone to expensive faults and problems.

Thanks number cruncher- not sure if its the 8v or 16 but will check this.
Mike.
00 1.6 would you recommend one? - John S
I'd agree with NC. Sold a 2002 1.8 a little while ago. Had it from new, 40 k miles, and it was faultless. Well screwed together. My cousin couldn't wait to get his hands on it! Check the service history for a cam belt change. recommended at 40k or 4 years whichever comes first. Not expensive at the Vx dealer.

JS
Thanks JS, don't think it has had the timing belt done.
00 1.6 would you recommend one? - Screwloose
polecat

Vauxhall used 5 different engines in the 1.6 in 2000; just make sure which one this is.

DO NOT buy a X16SZR.
Thanks screwloose, I've made a note of that- where will I find out what engine it has?
Any other things to watch for with the petrol astra? (I'm not a fan of diesels)

Not sure I'll buy the one I mentioned- the low miles and gaps between services give me reservations- I know extremely low miles isn't always good news. I deffo want an astra estate though so I'll give that engine a miss.

The engine code - not the engine number - is stamped along the top face of the web of the block that protrudes towards the radiator, flywheel end.

Find the nearest bit of cast steel to the radiator; almost exactly in the middle of the car and you'll see it sloping upwards at about 45 degrees. Take cloth and solvent to remove any rust or oil.
00 1.6 would you recommend one? - catsdad
We've had a 75hp 1999 8 valve estate from 6 months old and its covered only about 37k. Typical daily journey is about 2 miles (I know about the effect of short trips and it grieves me but there are good reasons for the need to do this). It gets a weekly 30 mile blast and the occasional longer run. The only work its ever needed other than servicing has been 2 new exhaust back boxes (short journeys causing this no doubt) and a £400 repair around the ECU etc. Good points, its a very quiet car, great carrying capacity, reliable. The main weak spot is out and out performance, it is painfully slow to accelerate. When loaded ths is even worse. For us its not an issue as its second car. There are a lot to choose from out there and you might prefer one with a bit more grunt - although I do think some of the later 8v are a little more powerful.
00 1.6 would you recommend one? - FotheringtonThomas
We've had a 75hp 1999 8 valve estate from 6 months old and (...) a £400 repair
around the ECU etc.

Oooh, swines that they are. I fixed the DCU on a 1.7 with a soldering iron, the garage wanted £700-ish to fix the thing. Got a lovely glow in the heart and a nice rustly feeling in the pocket!
catsdad

You've got an X16SZR - and all the typical reasons never to buy one.