Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - catalyst2
I am thinking of buying a new top-of-the-range Jimny, priced at £10,660. However, I checked its depreciation in the Glass's guide and it is shocking, according to them it would only be worth £4,500 after 2 years with 25K mileage.

Why does it depreciate so much?
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - Alanovich
Because it makes you look like a hairdresser.

;-)
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - Pugugly
Buy a two year old one maybe ?
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - movilogo
Jimny's performance on road (over 60 mph) is awful - this is what a Suzuki dealer told me :)

You are far better of buying a 1-2 yr old car which will be still under warranty. Suzuki dealers have them plenty.

But, Jimny is a very capable off-roader.

Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - jase1
Isn't that usually the case though with 4x4s?

Rubbish on-road = good off-road
Rubbish off-road = good on-road

Even expensive cars like the Jeeps or the Landcruiser suffer from this.

Most Jimnys on the road are a criminal waste of a capable car.
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - Martin Wall
Why does it depreciate so much?

...because, according to various reviews (and check the Car-by-car entry for this) it's a pile of junk. If you must have one check the discounts at the usual brokers. If you want an 'SUV' then Suzuki's own Grand Vitara has to be a much better bet - drivethe deal have some good deals on these but also check carfile, broadspeed, autobytel etc...
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - madf
It IS unfair to call a Jimmy a "pile of junk".

After all, junk is stuff that once had a use and is now no longer usable.

Whereas a New Unused Jimmy is unusable for any sane human driver from its first drive out of the factory.

The ones I have seen on a bumpy road make even the worst handling of cars look like a picture of stability.

Hairdressers do not drive Jimmies.

Trainee trainee hairdressers do.
As do people with a severe case of that nasty car disease called Ihavenotasteanddriveaboxonwheelsand thinkitswonderfulbecauseIhavenotaste.

Second hand buyers recognise this and pay peanuts.

Edited by madf on 29/08/2008 at 19:43

Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - Alby Back
I know a girl who has one and loves it. She is highly educated., has an erudite personality and is more than easy on the eye. She is also married to one of my closest friends so I am not ( publicly ) hormonally biased !

However, she is French......
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - jbif
She is highly educated., has an erudite personality and is more than easy on the eye. She is also married to one of my closest friends .. However, she is French......

SS Humph - Strange coincidence that.
I have a friend whose wife matches that description. He said he suspects that his friend [who recently bought a Signum] lusts after his wife! Humph, you don't live anywhere near the A534 in Nantwich by any chance, do you?

Oh 'eck !
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - Pugugly
Whoops ! A similar thing happened here a few years ago !!
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - jbif
Oh 'eck !

LOL ROTFLMAO
Relax, I am only having a larf.
Your yummymummy neighbours with the German cars can rest easy too.

Edited by jbif on 29/08/2008 at 21:09

:-)
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - JH
"She is highly educated". Maybe, but I bet she's given it a name. They're funny like that.
JH
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - Chrome
Bettina Selby the travel writer had one, she stayed at the place where I work a few years ago, I remember chatting to her and she gushed forth enthusiasm for the Jimny whilst admitting it wasn't very practical size-wise.
according to various reviews (and check the Car-by-car entry for this) it's a pile of junk.

The motoring press always gave 5 stars to Land Rovers for their wonderful off-road ability. However, in reality they are off the road because most of the time they are broken down :o) [even threads in this very forum proves the fact]

Jimny, on other hand, cheap as chips, far more reliable and extremely capable off roader.

To OP

If you are too worried about Jimny's depreciation, consider Daihatsu Terios as well. It is slightly more expensive and overall a better bet. However, it also depreciates heavily. Now Terios comes with 5-yr warranty.

Edited by movilogo on 29/08/2008 at 22:24

Maybe but I bet she's given it a name. They're funny
like that.
JH

"Roget" apparently
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - polecat10
I guess 'cos they're horrible to drive, impractical and deeply unstylish- and what is the 'convertible' all about?.

Should be good to hire for a week on a Greek island though.

I had a Suzuki X-90 a while back and it was the worst handling car I've driven and I felt like a right plonker every time I went out in it.
Mike.
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - stunorthants26
I drove a Jimny around for a while and while its an old school off-roader, its hardly horrible.
It does what it says on the tin, country folk seem to like them round here and its not a bad looking thing, esp the top spec ones with leather etc.

I did a stint along the M6 at 80 in the driving rain and it was quite acceptable, no worse than a small high sided vehicle would be and not in the least unstable.

Its cheap used because its too expensive new - if it was £7.5k they would sell quite well I suspect. Dont be fooled into buying a new one, buy a used one as theres enough about with low mileage and save a packet, they dont go wrong so a used one isnt buying a whole lotta trouble.

Id second lookinga t the Terios though, its quite a competant motor and dealers do carry low mileage ones.
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - Bilboman
Is the depreciation related to the utterly stupid name?
What's the story? Did Suzuki want to call it "Jimmy" but suddenly find the name was copyright somewhere, or did they just chicken out?
Any news on depreciation of the C'eed? Maybe things are changing and moronic names are the new must-have feature on cars...
Out with the Scrabble board, chaps - need a nicely original 7 letter name for the Scenic replacement...
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - Stuartli
It's more than likely because it's one of the most ugly, pointless exercises in producing a vehicle for the common herd.

In fact I'm surprised that those you would assume are sane people even bought one.......

Edited by Stuartli on 30/08/2008 at 00:53

Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - tawse
Didn't one of the survey companies - might have been JD Power or NCAP - report a few months ago that a low speed shunt into the back of one of these would cause such expensive damage that it would be a write-off?

Try a google to see if you can find the info. I think Whatcar might have carried the story on their site.

That was for Suzuki Swift and not Jimny.
Why so much depreciation on the Jimny - catalyst2
Thanks for your input on this.