2000 2.0 - MIL Light - xantmark
Hi.
I bought a 2000 Honda Cr-V ES Exuutive about a month ago with 109,000 on the clock.
The car has had a brand new exhuast in Nov 07 front to back including a new cat.
I have got the MIL light coming on and have got the code P0420 showing which is Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
One of the silencers (can't tell which one) has like a 'rattle' when revved, someone said it may be a baffler knackred inside one of the boxes.
Phoned local main dealer he said exhaust wouldn't turn light on and it's probaly on of the o2 sensors, but car is running as sweet as a nut and is really good on fuel.
He also said, and I have read this on the net, that they don't like 'aftermarket' cats.
If anybody has any advice on this I would be most gratful.
Regards, Mark

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/08/2008 at 19:40

2000 2.0 Honda CR-V MIL Light - Screwloose
mark

Private or trader sale?

You're right about the non-gen cats. Hondas don't like anything non-gen; particularly cats and oxygen sensors and cheap cats are pretty useless on most cars.

The rattle could well be the monolith; a broken-up cat can certainly cause that code and you need to get that investigated.

If you have a meter; you can check the cat efficiency by watching the post-cat sensor's signal. It should be fairly stable around 0.6-0.7 volts; hot and idling.
2000 2.0 Honda CR-V MIL Light - xantmark
Hi srewloose trade sale with prety useless 30 day parts only warranty the dealer is 125 miles away and i off loaded my 51 plate Citroen C5 HPI money pit to him where would i put the meter to check the signal many thanks Mark
2000 2.0 Honda CR-V MIL Light - Screwloose
mark

30 days? In his dreams... www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43

You need to find the post-cat sensor's wiring plug and tap-in [a pin into the rubber seal is good] to the sensor's signal wire [often black.]

Hot and idling; the signal should be steady - not swinging up and down.

When the cat is cool; bump the bottom of it with your hand - does it knock or rattle?
2000 2.0 Honda CR-V MIL Light - xantmark
Screwloose no knocks or rattles on the cat only the rattle/vibration ? when you rev it will try the meter test tomrrow the wires from the sensor disapperars into a gromit in the floor pan i presume the plug may be in there Mark
2000 2.0 Honda CR-V MIL Light - Falkirk Bairn
Had the same issue with a new exhaust & cat (3rd party) on Civic.

Disconnect battery, wait 60 seconds and re-connect - repeat as necessary - I got the light on approx 1 x per month - there were no codes showing when at the Honda garage.

They said I needed a Honda Cat, new AC condenser and re-fill of gas, rubbers in rear suspension, new brake pads (front & back), new disks on front, new rheostat on fan...........£1300+VAT.

Sold it 12 mths later having spent £50 on AC topup for £2000. 3rd Honda but gave them a wide berth after this attempted con!
2000 2.0 Honda CR-V MIL Light - pyruse
Surely the problem wasn't the car, but the dealer?
Why not take the car elsewhere?