1999 1.8 Front brake noise - jp147
I had new front discs and pads fitted to my Ford Focus last November at a main Ford dealer in Devon. However during the MOT in July it was found that the front discs were distorted so the car failed.

As I had 12 months guarantee on the brakes fitted last November I went back to them and said they shouldn't have gone after only 4000 miles. They measured the discs and agreed they were distorted and that was what had caused the brake judder through the steering wheel. They only replaced the discs this time. Now when I drive the car either first thing in the day or initally after it has sat for a while and apply the brakes, I notice some squeaking from the brakes which seems to disappear once I have driven a mile or so.

Do you think this is normal and if not should I go back to the garage again ??

Thanks

ps Do you think the calipers need attention
99 1.8 Brake noise - jp147
I had new front brake discs and pads fitted to my car last November at a Ford dealer and after only about 4500 miles I was experiencing juddering through the steering wheel whilst braking at 50 + mph. So last August I went back and the dealer checked the thickness of the discs and agreed that there was some distortion in them and so when I collected the car the woman on reception said that they had replaced the discs under their 12 month warranty.

I now notice some noise when I apply the brakes after the car has stood for some time (and therefore first thing after leaving in the morning). However the noise seems to go after a few minutes - it seems to me that once the brakes have "warmed up" the noise disappears.

What do you think I should do and surely if the pads are at fault wouldn't the brakes make a noise whether or not they were hot or cold i.e. all the time ??
99 1.8 Brake noise - Number_Cruncher
>>surely if the pads are at fault

You can't say anything so definite about brake squeal. The presence of brake squeal does not necessarily mean that the brake has a problem. A squealing brake is no less efficient than a quiet one.

There has been research into the problem of disc brake squeal dating back to soon after the introduction of disc brakes. The problem is so difficult that there isn't a production line cure which works for all cars. For some cars, the application of copperslip grease to the pad backing contact points will cure the noise, for others, chamfering the leading edge of the pad material helps - in some cases, simply taking the brake apart, and putting it back together, doing nothing! cures the squeal. Th research is still ongoing, and there is no catch all answer (a similar, related problem is clutch judder)

By all means, ask you garage to check that the brake is OK, i.e., there is plenty of material left on the pads, that nothing is sticking, and that all fasteners are good and tight, but, if the brake is fundamentally OK, I wouldn't get too wound up by it.