Pattern oil filters etc - Crinkly Dave
can anyone direct me to a newer source of information on pattern (rather than makers "own") oil filters. After reading Car Mechanics I had a look at www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study

This is obviously a few years old, done by a layman rather than a professional, and based on American sources not British, but it does seem to indicate that many sources of what I had believed to be OE standard replacement parts are now manufactured in the third world, and may be of doubtful quality.

I used to insist on Fram or similar. Its enough to get me to buy Peugeot parts. Can anyone direct me to a suitable OE standard maker/retailer? If anyone has a web address for any newer study than the one above I would be grateful.
Pattern oil filters etc - Dizzy {P}
Dave, I don't have specific information on pattern oil filters but the following may help your general question. Some of this response is paraphrased from an older posting of mine to save me thinking again!

Oil filters can vary tremendously in various ways, e.g. filtration area and density, relief valve fitment (to allow oil to by-pass the filter when starting with very cold/dense oil), standpipe fitment (for filters mounted upside-down -- so they do not drain off overnight), machining swarf content and resistance to inward collapse.

I would have no hesitation in naming FRAM as my own favourite for overall quality but I'm sure that any off-the-shelf filters with known brand names like Champion or Bosch will be OK, even if manufactured in the third world.

You mention buying Peugeot filters - but how would you know that the filter you buy wasn't also made in the third world? Service items are not necessarily from the same source as the original fitment even if they have the same livery. This is especially likely if the current cars in production are built with a different filter to the one on your car.
Pattern oil filters etc - Cyd
Fram make OE and aftermarket filters on the same lines to the same standards. Look at
www.master-filtration.co.uk
coopers filters

TJ filters have been taken over by an American outfit called Wix. They also make both OE & pattern filters.

Mobil 1 do high performance filters which can be bought off any Kmart shelf in the US, but are not available here - you can order direct from the Mobil 1 website if your car is listed.

Apparently K+N are soon to introduce high performance oil filters. Pipercross have recently stopped doing them.

All decent filters will capture anything bigger than 15 microns. Anything smaller than this will do very very little damage. just keep changing it regularly so it never has a chance to become clogged and open up that bypass valve.
Pattern oil filters etc - Vansboy
Unipart did offer a supposedly higher quality filter in addition to their standard range.Think it was called Supreme,like their oil brand.Think they originated from Champion.
We are currently using Wix, an American make, no problems with availability, price or fitment.
Mark
Pattern oil filters etc - Dave N
Dave, I assume you are looking to save money on filters. If so, just buy the manufacturers ones, they rarely cost much more, maybe a pound or so, sometimes they actually cost less than Halfords prices. Even if you save £2 per filter, with 2 filter changes a year, you'll save a grand total of £4. Probably about as much as it will cost you in phone bills scouring the net for info on aftermarket filters.