Can a 97 TDI run on bio-fuel or veg oil? - Sulphur Man
I've informed a friend about the change in fuel tax laws, where alternative fuels attract no Excise Duty so long as you use less than 2,500 litres a year - enough for about 17,600 miles. He's just bought a nice 1997 Passat 1.9TDI (90bhp) version and would like to know whether it can be run on veg oil, or veg-oil/diesel mix? I don't know anything about this model but can someone informed advise me, or point me to a good info source.

Ta.

Edited by Pugugly on 22/08/2008 at 19:18

Can a 1997 Passat TDI run on bio-fuel or veg oil? - oldnotbold
It'll run perfectly happily on 100% bio-diesel, but it won't run on veg oil without a twin-tank conversion.

More at www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk
Can a 1997 Passat TDI run on bio-fuel or veg oil? - Sulphur Man
Ta, muchly!

Can a 1997 Passat TDI run on bio-fuel or veg oil? - oldnotbold
The problem is that cold veg oil into a cold direct-injected engine drips past the piston rings and into the sump, where it turns the sump oil to jelly.

The solution is to start and stop on derv, and to manually/automatically change to veg oil once the engine is warm. The main tank is used for oil, and a second smaller tank for derv.

Edited by oldnotbold on 22/08/2008 at 17:34

Can a 1997 Passat TDI run on bio-fuel or veg oil? - BAILS43
I've ran three passat's a two Audi's and a seat Alhambra on 60% veg oil and 40% diesel and they have worked perfectly. If you run 100% you will struggle to start in cold weather as you will have a tank of lard.

Can a 1997 Passat TDI run on bio-fuel or veg oil? - borasport20
A couple of years ago,for a few months I ran a 1.9 Octavia TDI on a a mixture of diesel and common or garden cooking oil, sourced from the local supermarkets, using between 10 - 50% veg oil, with no known ill effects and no noticeable effect on consumption.

Sold the car to someone I know, and it's still going strong [despite her son having filled it up with petrol the other week :-) ]
Can a 1997 Passat TDI run on bio-fuel or veg oil? - Hamsafar
I run 0-50% (depending on season) veg oil in my 2002 Passat V6 TDi (not PD)
It runs like a charm *touches wood* at 140,000 miles, I bought it at 112,000 miles