No tax cars - Tim Hirst
How old does a car have to be not to need a tax disc?
Does this age change each year?

Thanks for the info
Re: No tax cars - John Kenyon
Tim Hirst wrote:
>
> How old does a car have to be not to need a tax disc?
> Does this age change each year?
>

With only a few exceptions (things like works trucks travelling no
more than 6 miles a week between sites), all vehicles on the public
highway must have a tax disc.

A vehicle qualifies to enter the "Exempt Historic Vehicle Taxation Class" if it was constructed before 1st January 1973.

[If the date of manufacture is not shown on the V5 Registration Document, you will be asked to produce a certified extract from the manufacturer's records or evidence from an appropriate vehicle enthusiast's club]

To license a qualifying vehicle for the first time in the new class, you must make your application to a DVLA Local Office. Vehicles licensing in the new class will continue to be subject to the requirement to licence annually. This will require the production of an appropriate test certificate (if applicable) and a certificate of insurance in order to obtain a nil licence for display on the vehicle.

(Shamelessly ripped from www.dvla.gov.uk)

/John
Re: No tax cars - John Slaughter
As a subscript to JK's spot-on note, the key date of 1/1/73 is fixed. The 'historic vehicle' class was for a few years a rolling exemption, based on vehicles becoming 25 years old, but in 1998 the Government froze the qualifying date. This, not surprisingly, upset may owners of 70's classics who were waiting for their pride and joy to become 'zero cost licence'. (Not me - my classic was made in 1958) Another Labour 'stealth tax'?

Regards

John
Re: No tax cars - Stuart Bruce
Unless you are a didi, sorry thats not PC, I mean traveller.
Re: No tax cars - Andrew Bairsto
Buy a new mondeo in Germany and it is tax free for the first three years .Any petrol engined motor with Euro 4 emission is tax exempt for up to 5 Years and Euro 3 up to 3 years. A little fairer than the UK I think
Re: No tax cars - Brian
Yes, another stealth tax
Re: No tax cars - Tim Hirst
Thanks for the info

Tim