91 1.3 petrol in oil - Kevz
hi, i'm just wandering anyone would know if there is anywayz the petrol could mix with the oil on these engines?, the things is the car is a very poor starter the fuel delivary is nearly non existant and the oil light likes coming on quite often but the carb stinks of petrol and the rocker cover stinks of petrol, i did manage to fix a leak in the inlet manifold due to a failed gasket but weirdly the manifold its self was swimming in petrol, i was told the float settings in the car don't need to be adjusted because their self-adjusting???? any help will be great, thanx
91 1.3 petrol in oil - Screwloose

A leak in the fuel-pump diaphragm would be my first thought.
mmm, didn't think of that nice one, didn;t think it was possible, i sealed the fuel pump to the cylinder head a while ago thinking that would help the fuel flow but not for long, but would that cause the manifold to be flooded??

The fuel leaking through the diaphragm [you did say the fuel delivery was poor?] would raise and thin the oil and it would get through the [dissolving?] breather hoses into the manifold.

In times past; it used to be very common.
so if the fuel pump diaphram was faulty, would i only need chenge it and the oil or would i need to do something else, i've just looked at the inside of the engine with the rocker cover off but there doesn't seem to be any signs of leaking,i'l try and get a new unit tmoro from vw cos i did think the pump was faulty before but a german and swedish supplier kept giving me the wrong ones, so just replaced the "O ring" and sealed it with silicone, but when you say manifold breather pipes, do you mean the two coolant like pipes on the right of the manifold?

There are only really two ways petrol gets into the oil; through a pump diaphragm or by the carb flooding and the fuel leaking down the bores.

If the carb was flooding to that extent; you would notice severe drivability issues and clouds of black smoke - do you?
no black smoke, i'l try a new fuel pump tmorow, i cant thank you enough for your help, i'm not use to dealing with fuel pumps apart from on my dads bedford!, i'l let you know how it goes but thanks for your help, very much appreciated!!!!!!