2004 1.6 - Won't start, but no error codes on ecu - Zafira Adam
Hi

We have an 04 1.6 Life (petrol).

Over the last 6 weeks, it hwas occasionally refused to start, but shows an error light on the dash (yellow engine symbol flashes).

It has been to our local independent garage as well as two Vauxhall main dealers and they can find nothing wrong. There was a lambda error on the ECU, but this should not stop it starting.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Adam

slt

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/08/2008 at 01:38

2004 1.6 2004 Zafira 1.6 - Won't start, but no err - Collos25
I think it might stop it starting so can a dirty tdc flywheel sensor.
2004 1.6 - Won't start, but no error light. - Screwloose

Come on lads; I left this one alone deliberately.

A flashing MIL light - immobilizer fault.
2004 1.6 - Won't start, but no error light. - Dynamic Dave
A flashing MIL light - immobilizer fault.

OP says "but shows an error light on the dash (yellow engine symbol flashes)."

If it's immobiliser related, then it will be the car/spanner light flashing.

However, the other light (the pic of an engine block with a propeller on top and on one side) will only flash with the engine running - BUT only if there is a fault.

Can the OP confirm which light is actually flashing?
2004 1.6 - Won't start, but no error light. - Screwloose

The only reason, that I know of, for the engine light to flash is a catalyst-damaging misfire. As it won't start; I thought that fairly unlikely.....

Regardless of which light was flashing; I've always considered a flashing light, when cranking, to be an immob fault on a GM vehicle.
2004 1.6 - Won't start, but no error light. - Dynamic Dave
The header is misleading as well. Says no error light, but the main body of the post says that there is an error light. The OP needs to confirm a couple of things for us.
1.6 - Won't start, but no error codes on ecu. - Zafira Adam
Hi all

Thanks for your reponses.

Sorry for the heading (now corrected) - should have said ecu. {and I've corrected the topmost one - DD}

The fault appears at irregualr intervals. There is no response to using the key in the ignition from the engine, but the yellow engine icon on the dash flashes rapidly. DEFINITELY the yellow engine light but without the engine running.

It goes to the garage. They wipe the ecu and it starts again, but they can not find anything to suggest why the engine won't start.

I tried phoning Vauxhall head office, but was told the technical team will only support dealers.

Does this

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/08/2008 at 01:38

1.6 - Won't start, but no error codes on ecu. - Screwloose

Get the garage to read the immobilizer codes; it may not leave a code in the engine ECU as there isn't a fault, as such, the immobilizer is just doing it's job.

Can you try a different key?
1.6 - Won't start, but no error codes on ecu. - Zafira Adam
Thanks.

I have tried both keys - as have all the garages. Makes no difference.

No one mentioned reading the immobiliser though. Will ask about that.

Cheers

Adam
1.6 - Won't start, but no error codes on ecu. - SpamCan61 {P}
Sounds to me like the sensor that reads the chip in the key and passes the code on to the immobilser has gone intermittant. Not a part I'd thought likely to fail though.
1.6 - Won't start, but no error codes on ecu. - Cogs
Did anyone solve this problem? I have EXACTLY the same problem on my Zafira 2.0 DTI, same flashing light. It intermittently wouldn't start, bringing up the same fault, suggesting it's the immobiliser. They changed the box on the steering column but it's not that. Apparently it's 'always' that for every single other car with the fault, but not this one. SInce then it won't start at all, so no longer intermittent. The car is otherwise in excellent condition and only done 85K miles. Vauxhall suggest their only other route would be to track down a 'possible' earth fault, which could take many many hours and so cost thousands of pounds and they may never find anything. It's not showing up any codes in the ECU. They've therefore considered the car a write off, delivered it back to me with the steering column bits on the passenger seat and suggested I try to sell it for spares! It's sat on my front lawn becoming a bad ornament. I've had one look on the internet and found this string so thought I'd ask. Someone mentioned along the way that I could try the fuel pump, that a fault in the fuel pump would cut the immobiliser. I haven't tried it yet. I'd then have to tow it back to the dealer to get it all programmed and tried out. Any clues?
Thank you.
2004 1.6 - Won't start, but no error codes on ecu - Ariff

I do have the some problem with my zafira 2001 1.8 , I all ready change the fuel pump but the problem is still the some , it start only after bein reast for many hours then after driving the next time refuse to start. The Garage check the are think mybe cotrolbox type simtec 71 it dose give signal to imobilliser code B3040. The said I should change the control box Iif I do so then I must also change key ring with new ignition key even that the said the a not 100% sure ,.... is anyone has solution, pls