Tips for negociating on a used car? - strange but true
Have decided now we want to buy a Fiat Punto Grande, probably 2006,have £5000 max ,but would rather spend nearer £4000.

Looking at the 1.2 or 1.4 maybe,wouldn't mind the dynamic which has the aircon,but don't mind next model down if it's a good deal.

Thought we had found some at a car supermarket,but they turned out to be ex rental,so maybe give them a miss.

I am looking on behalf someone who has just passed their test,and although we do have someone who knows about engines to look over them and test drive them,what tips can you give us when trying to negociate the price.Would we be better private or trade? I am female.looking for a car with my son.

Edited by Pugugly on 19/08/2008 at 18:25

Tips for negociating on a used car? Fiat Punto - lordwoody
I remember a recent survey which asked the respondents whether they would recommend their current car , the Punto Grande came bottom, with only about 44% of owners saying they'd recommend it. I've had numerous Fiats in the past and apart from one, have never had any trouble with them, but I'd think twice about buying one now. Are there no other cars you'd consider?
Tips for negociating on a used car? Fiat Punto - legacylad
Before you buy check out the insurance costs if a newly qualified driver is involved! Especially male. My girlfriend had a £2k budget for her daughter recently...£1100 went on insurance, £200 on 6 months tax and a service, leaving only £700 for an elderly Ka.

Tips for negociating on a used car? Fiat Punto - oldnotbold
When buying a car for someone who has just passed their test it's vital that you assess the cost on insurance before committing, as suggested. Realistically you need to go for a Gp2 or Gp3 car, as anything higher will be prohibitive. You can check insurance groups by using the facility on the menu at the top of this page.
Tips for negociating on a used car? Fiat Punto - Optimist
ONB is right about the insurance.

Have a look on Auto Trader or the FIAT site for a car you like at a nearby dealer. With no p/ex and a troubled market you might get a very good deal. I've just seen a 55 plate 1.2 Grande Punto with less than 10k miles for just under £4k

Good luck.
Tips for negociating on a used car? Fiat Punto - Collos25
A very large percenage of nearly new second hand cars are going to be ex rental or ex motobility or ex lease,there arn't many cars that belonged to little old ladies who only drove to church on sundays about.
Tips for negociating on a used car? Fiat Punto - strange but true
A very large percenage of nearly new second hand cars are going to be ex
rental or ex motobility or ex lease there arn't many cars that belonged to little
old ladies who only drove to church on sundays about.

This is what we are discovering.Is motability likely to be any worse o better than ex rental or does it amount to the same thing.
ONB is right about the insurance.

SNIPQUOTE!

How did you go about finding this.Nearest we have got is an an ex motability at 15000 miles at £4000

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/08/2008 at 19:47

Tips for negociating on a used car? Fiat Punto - madf
A number of my friends have motability cars. Low mileage and serviced by the book.....
Tips for negociating on a used car? Fiat Punto - Optimist
According to Auto Trader it's at Evans Halshaw in Chester. 01244 389515.

Use the Auto Trader buy search and cap your price at £4k.

Good luckk.
We just went to look at a motobility car but it was (semi?) automatic.
Tips for negociating on a used car? Fiat Punto - oilrag
Don`t go near it. They can be very problematic.