03 1.9 abs firing when stopping very slowly - volks
hi,i'm a german car mechanic and i am having problems with my passat 1.9 tdi 130 6 spd, i have just replaced my front wheel bearing, now whenever i brake very gently as i come to a stop the abs fires on that wheel.[grinding noise] when you brake hard nothing happens, i've tried changing the abs sensor as i know they dont like to be disturbed but it has made no difference , when you drive normally the car seems fine it doesnt pull or make any weird noises!!!!!!!!!!!!
so any help would be appreciated ....thanks
03 1.9 abs firing when stopping very slowly - Screwloose

Is yours a two-wire or a three-wire sensor? Does it have ESP stability control?
hi, it has a 2 wire sensor and it does have esp......thanks
It would appear that the signal from that sensor is weaker than the others and the ABS is concluding that the wheel has locked.

Is there anything that is stopping the sensor going fully into the hole? Can you watch the 4 wheel speeds on a scanner - or check their signals on an oscilloscope?

Could this be a coincidence and there's water in the ABS module plug?

Edited by Screwloose on 18/08/2008 at 19:11

no scanners at work ,but do you know how to correctly set the sensor? i measured the one on the other side to set this one.......

The only spec that I've got to hand is 0.2 - 1.2mm for the reluctor ring type.
03 1.9 abs firing when stopping very slowly - jimbano
Hi,

It could be something just as simple as the air gap between the sensor and the exciter ring too small. If memory serves me right, the sensor on that model is a push fit into the hub. If it's pushed too far in, it closes the gap. Gently pull the sensor out a little bit and then try again.

james
hi james thanks for your reply, i have tried that but it made no difference, but that was with the old sensor, so it might be worth another go, do you know the correct gap?
03 1.9 abs firing when stopping very slowly - jimbano
Hi,

Not sure what the spec would be, but whenever i worked on this setup, i pushed the sensor into the hub as far as it would go, and then gently pull it back a little.
Is the end of the sensor damaged? This would have happened if the sensor was sitting against the driveshaft and then you road tested the car. If it looks scraped/damaged, a new sensor will be required.
hi james
the old sensor did have marks on it, that was one of the reasons why i changed it. but there are no marks on the new one, so i think adjusting the gap is worth a go
thanks again
03 1.9 abs firing when stopping very slowly - Hamsafar
Did the kit included a new ABS ring? if so, maybe it has a different number of teeth/holes?
hi
the new senor did not come with an abs ring, but it is supposed to be the correct one for the car and the fault was the same with the old sensor which did not show up to be faulty under diagnostic
just to let you know it turned out to be the gap between the sensor and abs ring...
i pushed the sensor in as far as it would go without touching the abs ring and that sorted it out !!!!!!!!!! so thanks to those of you who helped..........