Is the car market dead? - tawse
I was googling for car sales and came across a few articles saying that the sales of new and used cars has basically ground to a halt. Probably why so many firms are now offering 0% finance on new cars.

I also gather that sales of 4x4s, MPVs and large saloons have ground to a halt with dealers now refusing to take them in part-ex out of fear of being unable to sell them on - does this mean we are all going to be driving around in tiny cars in the next few years as everyone ditches their big cars?

It might sound like the green and financial thing to do but surely this will proove impossible for tall guys like myself, people with families, those who are overweight and people with disabilities?

Anyhow, I am digressing my own thread. Anyone know what is happening in the UK car trade, both new and second-hand, at present?
Is the car market dead? - stunorthants26
Its not the size of a car, its the running costs, so if chosen wisely, there are plenty of cars around still that arent tiny. There are plenty of medium cars that have low emissions and decent economy so anyone who argues on some bleak future for something bigger than a bicycle is just trying to raise a non-issue.

Fat people have always needed bigger cars and small cars have always been cheaper to run, no change there. Maybe if the fat people eat less they can spend more running their larger cars :-)

I wouldnt want to own a medium/large petrol car right now, will become a deadweight soon enough.
Is the car market dead? - midlifecrisis
Dealers may refuse to take cars in p/x at the moment. However, at some point, they're going to have to change their tune, because people will stop buying.
Is the car market dead? - jase1
All that will happen is that the trendy set will be driving around in Fiat Pandas and the hoi polloi -- us -- will take on all the 7-series BMWs and Lexuses that they discard.

Bring it on I say -- anyone who is sensible will realise that the biggest cost of ownership is *still* purchase price, regardless of what punitive taxes are introduced.
Is the car market dead? - DavidHM
Thing is Stu, after I bought my Clio I kind of had buyer's remorse because I've changed jobs and my mileage has basically tripled - and the Clio doesn't really like motorways at all.

So I'm nearly six months into a four-year finance deal and just counting down the time until I can buy myself out of it.

Anyway, I said that, given a free choice I would now buy a Jaguar X-Type diesel and my mother flatly refused to believe that the fuel economy of both cars would be broadly similar, or that I could buy a four-year-old Jag for ~£7k.

So it's all very well saying that some larger cars do have low running costs - clearly they do - but if people's perceptions are that big = expensive (and high CO2 now being defined as 160g/km) then even economical bigger cars are going to struggle.

Yeah but the uninformed masses are pretty ignorant and if dealers and car makers want to sell cars, they need to do the hard sell on the facts.

I have to say, a Clio really aint that bad you know. I recently did a 450 mile round trip in my Charade, with a 2 hr stop in between. It wasnt pure luxury, but it was better than walking. Sometimes you just have to accept that you have it better than it could be.
Id love my XJ40 back, but just not practical or realistic in this day and age.
Is the car market dead? - qxman {p}
I don't think its just the tax and fuel costs. We are experiencing a 'conjunction' of bad financial news. Truthfully, I think a lot of people have been living beyond their means, I read recently that housing equity to the amount of £300 billion has been withdrawn since 2000. That's around £5000 for every man, woman and child in the UK. A great deal of that money will have been blown on luxury goods - I wonder how many Chelsea tractors have been bought on the back of housing equity?
All that has now ground to a halt and the sky is dark with chickens coming home to roost. The priority for many will now be something economical to get them to work in the morning.
Is the car market dead? - movilogo
A lot of people used to buy cars by borrowing money over the odds.

With current credit crunch, those people are being pushed out of the market. Even those who can easily afford buying a car are currently postponing their decision because of fear of recession.

Is the car market dead? - Optimist
Be interesting if everyone who looks at this forum posted details of the first 58 plate they saw and what motor it was on.

I don't think the market is dead, though it may have shifted a bit. From what people say I'd expect to see a lot of the little Hyundais when they become available.

But people have been posting on here about buying the big VW tank and I think it may still be true that for some increased costs are just a comic irrelevance.

If you've got a bit put away it might actually be a good time to buy.

Edited by Optimist on 17/08/2008 at 23:02

Is the car market dead? - Fullchat
Well my Chelsea Tractor - a 2.5 diesel Kia Sorento averaged 32MPG on holiday in the Lakes with a roofbox. I don't consider that return to be a 'gas guzzler'.
Is the car market dead? - Alby Back
I got to chatting with a salesman at one our local main dealers earlier this week. A mainstream brand in the volume market.

I had gone there to buy a part for my car. Happening to catch the eye of this guy on the forecourt he surprisingly opened the conversation with something along the lines of " I hope you're not going to ask me to buy that ? " Somewhat taken aback I replied that, no, on the contrary, I was merely in for a part.

He was a gentleman of mature years and we sort of stood around in the sunshine leaning on my car and jawing for a while. I got the impression he was glad of someone to talk to or maybe to be seen talking to at least.

Once he realised that I was not a "live one" he really opened up and confessed that he had only sold one car in the past month and that he hadn't made any money on it. He told me that he had been in the business all his working life but would give anything to get out of it now. He appeared to be almost in tears. He even asked me for a job !

Now, I know it's tough to feel sympathy for car salesmen but phew, that sort of upset me. He wasn't in the business of selling luxo-barges, he represented a dealer in everyday cars. Quite sobering.
Some figures from May here:

tinyurl.com/5oef3p
Is the car market dead? - Bill Payer
SMMT July (and YTD figures) are here:
www.smmt.co.uk/articles/article.cfm?articleid=17852
Is the car market dead? - spikeyhead {p}
The upper end of the market is really struggling. Small cheap stuff is still shifting, The occasional diesel is still selling over £5k, but any petrol above that isn't shifting unless is heavily discounted.

Glasses guide knocked 2 to 4% off the value of used Porsches this month and there's still a lot more to come on that. My Boxster has lost a paper fortune since I bought it, however its worth it for the fun.
Is the car market dead? - Robin Reliant
I hope it is as dead as it appears to be. My MoT is comming up on Tuesday and at twelve years old you never know...
If you're going to replace it with a small cheap car then you'll find they're more expensive than six months ago.

If you can live with somethign large with a petrol engine then you'll be spoilt for choice.
Is the car market dead? - MichaelR
This is good news becuase although my car is now worth about 50p, perhaps 60p to the right buyer, it also means my next car will be even cheaper. I've no intention to rush out and buy a diesel, I'll wait a year or two and then purchase a car with a 5 litre V8. Perhaps for as little as £2.50 whilst everyone else queues out the door of the local Prius dealership.
Is the car market dead? - welshlad
i dont think the car market is dead, but maybe terminal. its seems the only people gonna make money in the credit crunch will be mechanics because everyone will be holding on to their older cars for longer
Is the car market dead? - daveyjp
I was in our local Audi dealer last week as another transporter with 2 Q7s, and at least two TTs rolled off. Someone is buying them.

The dealership can't sell their new showroom on a sale/leaseback deal though.
I was in our local Audi dealer last week as another transporter with 2 Q7s

Apparently BMW is sold out of X6's for 12 months.

While the YTD figures don't look too bad (BMW are up 12%), the last couple of months have been pretty bad all round.
Is the car market dead? - drbe
>> " I hope you're not going to ask me to buy that ? "

Just curiosity, what car was it?
Is the car market dead? - madf
My target price for a Citroen C6 is yet to be achieved. Late next year I expect it.. sub £10k

Lots more gloom and doom to come on housing and bank losses as a result..

Is the car market dead? - mike hannon
I'm intrigued by the state of the 'classic' car market in the UK at the moment.
The magazines are full of bullshine about gigantic prices and how various makes are shooting up in price, and to go by some of the dealer prices advertised they are right. But it's only asking prices that seem to be shooting up. You see the same cars advertised month after month and when you look at auction lists you see that prices achieved for everything but the most exceptional motors are much, much lower.
The other day I Googled for a particular dealer and happened across a link that led to an ad of his from a few months ago. It had several of the cars he still has in stock, but all 3-4k cheaper. What sort of logic is that - hasn't he noticed the world has changed around him?
Time for a mid-1990s-style dose of realism, I think.
Is the car market dead? - prm72
My brothers business partner has just bought a brand new Mercedes C AMG 63, £52000, alright for some.
Is the car market dead? - zm
But it's only asking prices that seem to be shooting up. You see the
same cars advertised month after month and when you look at auction lists you see
that prices achieved for everything but the most exceptional motors are much much lower.

Yes but dealing in classics is not like dealing in normal cars. You have to take the long term view that a car might take months - years even - to sell, but with the margin that you have in the car it should be worthwhile, totally different to selling Fords and Vauxhall's. However to be able to deal in this manner you NEED alot of capital behind you, classic car dealers tend to be much more mature gentleman who have spent decades dealing in bread & butter cars but have gradually swichted to dealing in nothing but classics.

And let's face it, the punters for classic stuff tend to well healed and not bothered about 0% finance, credit crunches, environmental efficiency or any of that twaddle. They buy the things for cash and as second/third/fourth cars and tend to want the very best examples around. Like I said a totally different world to flogging mainstream stuff, and alot more enjoyable.
Is the car market dead? - niceguyeddy
In short the answer to the origianal question is NO.

From a personal point I used to answer posts on here quite regular but dont have the time to these days BTW I run a sales department in a large dealer.

The market has changed towards the big stuff inc 4x4 but we still take then in PX no problem but the price has to be right so as we can sell then on but people are still buying 4x4 from us and big petrol engines.

Maybe we are lucky but more like its because we are pricing to current market conditions wghich ultimately is set by the buyer.
Is the car market dead? - Carrow
I work for a motor factor and we are dead today!! It is nearly 2 'o' clock and we have done about a quarter of our daily sales target so far. Phoned round our customers and most of them are quiet as well, it seems that car owners are stretching intervals between services, or just having an oil & filter change done, rather than a full service.

Time to start saving cardboard boxes, I reckon!

Is the car market dead? - The Melting Snowman
Come back and answer this in 12 to 18 months...

Edited by The Melting Snowman on 18/08/2008 at 22:15

Is the car market dead? - Downesi1
Don't forget that its the school holidays, the roads are dead in the mornings.....
Is the car market dead? - MikeTorque
There is still plenty of stock being moved, a lot more people are buying fuel efficient cars and the value of used fuel hungry motors is dropping fast.
This is good news becuase although my car is now worth about 50p, perhaps 60p to the right buyer

Actually your car is worth around £200 scrap value. Sending old or low priced cars to be scrapped for cash is now big business due to the price of recycled materials such as steel, cats, alloys, plastic.
Is the car market dead? - MichaelR
>> This is good news becuase although my car is now worth about 50p perhaps
60p to the right buyer
Actually your car is worth around £200 scrap value. Sending old or low priced cars
to be scrapped for cash is now big business due to the price of recycled
materials such as steel cats alloys plastic.

I'd like to hope its worth a tad more than that, it was rather tounge in cheek. The values of big engined cars have taken a dive but not so much that mint 2002 530i Sport's are fit only for scrap!
Is the car market dead? - Blue {P}
Oh alright then I'll do you a favour, call it £500, throw in a full tank and we'll call it a deal.

Do you prefer cash or bank transfer?

Is the car market dead? - pd
The major drop in prices in the last few months has meant the car market (used anyway) has begun to pick up. Cars are selling again at both trade and retail levels but only after a major realignment of prices. Many cars have lost 50% of their value in 2-3 months.

I think things will steady a bit between now and the end of the year with fewer 30% month on month drops but they will continue to fall at 3-5% pcm for many models.

As for large and large engined cars they have fallen so much that buyers are beginning to see value in them. If you do a low mileage then they offer great value for money. The going rate for a 2001 E39 with about 70k seems to be about 3.5k at auction at the moment - I've seen many Y-reg or 51-plate decent condition examples sold at that range.

If you want something with a V6 engine with all the toys and some life left £1500 is all you need to spend at trade level. I saw a really nice 02-reg Mondeo Ghia X 2.5 with 70k ish sold for £1200 only last week. At retail it'll need to be £1995 to sell. Another cheapie which caught my eye was a nice looking facelift MG ZT 190+ on a 54 with 65k for £2000 week before last. Again, £2995 retail to sell.

If you want something really big, D2 A8's have lost about 50% in 3 months with 02-reg 4.2 Quattro Sports with 80k selling for about 4k (expect dealers to ask £5995 to cover the potential bills) as have all BMW 7-Series.

All of these cars are now finding buyers because they are so cheap people are suddenly realising they're not as poor as they thought they were and are finding the cash.
Is the car market dead? - Blue {P}
I wish I hadn't read this, I could quite well cry when I think about the fact that a year ago I effectively paid £2,500 for a W reg old style Ghia X! :-( At least it's got the RSAP fitted which frankly still looks very very good and indeed the overall look of the headlights etc. isn't a million miles away from Ford's current design direction, in fact I think it's ageing very gracefully.

I suppose there's no point crying about it now, it's running on LPG and is costing me peanuts to run, just gonna run it into the ground for 2 years by which time the LPG will have repaid, the market will have bottomed and I will be debt free. Then I'm going shopping. :-)

Is the car market dead? - pd
You didn't get a bad deal. Not much more than a year ago I remember old shape ST200's selling for £4k at trade level.

I can't see drops of this level happening again - a unique combination of fuel prices, economic problems and Mr Brown's road tax plans have seen a massive drop. Buyers are now seeing cars so cheap they are starting to buy so whilst prices will continue to fall I think the really big drops have already happened.
Is the car market dead? - tyro
It's a good thing I'm a married man.

If I was single, I'd be seriously tempted to get rid of the Ka and get pick up a Mondeo with a 2.5 engine.
Is the car market dead? - Leif
Sending old or low priced cars to be scrapped for cash is now big business
due to the price of recycled materials such as steel cats alloys plastic.

So does this mean that areas where burnt out cars are common are now going up market, and becoming desirable 'bijou' districts?

Also man hole covers are going missing due to record scrap metal prices.
Is the car market dead? - FotheringtonThomas
sales of new and used cars has basically ground to a halt.
I also gather that sales of 4x4s MPVs and large saloons have ground to a
halt with dealers now refusing to take them in part-ex out of fear of being
unable to sell them on - does this mean we are all going to be
driving around in tiny cars in the next few years as everyone ditches their big
cars?

It's down to money. The "housing market" is dead, too. That's got nothing to do with the price of fuel or road tax. House prices are still grossly inflated, people have racked up credit on the basis of house prices, as well as generally, and the whole lot's gone down the pan. Things are likely to get far worse, making a couple of hundred on road tax a year, and 30% on fuel, look insignificant. Inflation's up, the base rate could go up, the global economy is iffy. It's not simply car tax/fuel price.

(smaller cars) impossible for tall guys like myself people with families those who are
overweight and people with disabilities?

Not so, see other thread.
So - now, or the near future would be a good time to buy a new/replacement car?
Logically I will lose on my trade in?
Is the car market dead? - MikeTorque
If you want to save cash in the long run then change as soon as possible to a more economical car even though it may mean taking a short term financial hit now, otherwise change it when you need to or want to.
Is the car market dead? - NowWheels
If you want to save cash in the long run then change as soon as
possible to a more economical car even though it may mean taking a short term
financial hit now otherwise change it when you need to or want to.

That may or may not be good advice, depending on what the differences are in running costs and how big the immediate hit is. There's no substitute to doing the sums properly for each case.
Is the car market dead? - hxj

The reason that the housing market has ground to a halt has nothing to do with prices.

It is simply because lenders now have extremely limited access to wholesale money and therefore cannot borrow that money and on lend it to those who want to buy.

That has led to a drop in demand as people are finding it hard to borrow money.

Therefore those that need to sell are chasing fewer buyers, therefore prices are dropping.
Is the car market dead? - Falkirk Bairn
The reason that the housing market has ground to a halt has nothing to do
with prices.
It is simply because lenders now have extremely limited access to wholesale money and therefore
cannot borrow that money and on lend it to those who want to buy.

When I was 10 yrs old (52 yrs ago) my parents bought a new house but could not sell the old one. Building Societies could only lend a £1000 if somebody banked £1000. There was no wholesale money in those days.

The person who bought the house had a loan from their employer to bridge for the year until money became available via a BS.
Is the car market dead? - barney100
No- its alive and well on my drive, I think there are going to be many bargains in big cars to be had and I certainly got one. My 3.2 petrol will cost me on my mileage about £450 a year extra in fuel, I've cancelled the gym membership and take the dog for longer walks instead, result I ain't much worse off. Nows a good time to look for that car of your dreams!
Is the car market dead? - mjs100
I've spent the last three days in differing showrooms, I've been just about the only person there. Today I was in one and all the staff were watching the GP. One week before the new plates come out? And I'm the only one in a main London showroom? I asked one of the guys and he said that the place has been dead for weeks. They're really struggling.

I went to a VW showroom today, had the money to buy a Golf, I was looking for a one year old 1.6 Golf Match. He had a couple, all about £3k over the Parker's price. Again, no one else there. I saw the one I liked and said that if they could match the Parker's price then I'd buy there and then. He said no chance and that he could maybe offer £50 off the advertised price. I left and purchased a one year old 1.6 Ford Focus Zetec Climate 115 which had done under 10k miles for £8.5k instead.

It amazed me that the VW guys let me walk out of there knowing that I had the money to buy and wanted a car. I wasn't messing around, they knew I would buy a car at the right place but they didn't care too much. Maybe VW are doing really well although by the looks of it no one's in the showrooms I've visited over the last week.

From what I've seen the market is dead but the dealers and sales guys are in denial, unwilling to work towards a price that they will sell the cars at believing that someone will turn up and buy it at the prices they could get last year. It's probably similar to the housing market, people just not yet accepting that they need to drop prices to get a sale.

>> From what I've seen the market is dead but the dealers and sales guys are
in denial

Although they're only down a couple of % YTD, VW were down 25% last month, so it won't be too long before something happens. I don't think there are model changes etc that could explain that drop.

Mitsubishi have slashed prices, and that's being blamed on a 40% drop in their sales last month. Mitsubishi's drop is more understandable as they mainly do larger SUVs and 4x4s.
MJS100 - I was also in a VW dealer this week and I was shocked by the price of their secondhand cars. Many of them were MORE expensive than I can get them new from the likes of Carfile or DrivetheDeal. This was even though they had a 'sale' on with 1K off all the secondhand cars.

I was the only one in the dealers though and they looked really pleased to see me when I went in.

Problem is, like you, how can I fork out 15K plus for a new Golf when the likes of Motorpoint are selling low mileage secondhand and pre-reg Focuses for anywhere from 8K to 12K dependent upon engine and spec you buy? I can't. Shame I cab't fit in the Focus but, heck, I can't fit in the Golf either but you get my point.

I am hanging off buying another car partly because I am unable to find a car that fits someone as tall as myself which is not a big engine, high fuel, high VED car. But the main reason is that, as you say, like house prices the car dealers seem to think they can charge what they want when we are in a huge credit crunch and on our way into a big recession. I think by October we will be seeing loads of car dealers going bust just as we are now begining to see loads of estate agents go bust.

Edit:

Oh, as for that VW guy offering you £50 off - he was taking the proverbial and I would have told him so.

Edited by tawse on 25/08/2008 at 01:44

I was speaking with a relative who is a Renault salesman a few days ago. He said new sales are dead, but he's been very busy as people buy small used cars in the £4-6000 region.
Seems the small car is in, especially now today the new Dpeuty BOE Governor has declared this credit crisis is as bad as the 1970s.
Is the car market dead? - De Smythe
In respect of VW dealers you can understand their arrogance when they are able to advertise and sell the following without any apparent difficulty. All are genuine (anonymous) examples that I have seen in regional press within the last 2 weeks:

1) Mark IV GT Tdi 150, 03/53 with 30K miles: £10,995
2) Mark V GTi, 04/54 with 35K miles: £14,250
3) Mark IV GTi 180 turbo, 03/53 with 30K miles, £9,495
4) Mark IV 1.6 Match, 03/03 with 30K: £6,995
5) Mark III colour concept convertible, 02/02 with 45K miles: £8,995

None of these were on forecourts for more than 3 weeks apiece. Searching Autotrader seems to bring up much cheaper equivalent examples but also some that are equally as costly, often from private sellers as well as dealers. Both seem to be in fanatical denial about dropping values (MINI owners also take note) but if mugs keep paying top dollar then who can blame them.
I think car sales people are strange folk. Whether it's arrogance or laziness, I don't know. (I have posted similar thoughts on here before.)

I am thinking of trading in my MB E class for a new one, or possibly a recent second-hand example.

So - I took myself to MB at Brooklands last Wednesday morning (the 20th), the salesman was late for our meeting. He took all the details including my mobile number and email address, looked at my old car and said that he would be in touch. Since then, guess what? That's right - nothing, not a phone call or text or email to say that things were on the way.

On Wednesday afternoon, I visited the two MB Direct sites on the A3 at New Malden, the afternoon was inconclusive because the salesmen seemed unable (unwilling?) to respond to any offer I made them. They too have not been in contact since Wednesday.

Of course, it may be me!
This is typical sales tactics - to see how desperate you are to buy. They don't call back so you eventually call them and then they know that they have you over a barrel.

In the housing boom I saw EAs use this tactic to have one lady in tears literally begging the EA to allow her to buy a particular house. The phone then conveniently rang and the EA said it was someone else bidding 20K more than the woman's offer.

Houses, cars, whatever - you have to be prepared to walk away to get a good deal.

Is the car market dead? - ForumNeedsModerating

This is typical sales tactics - to see how desperate you are to buy. They don't call back so you eventually call them and then they know that they have you over a barrel.

Yeah, but in a recession? There's also a school of selling that says never allow a (potential)
customer out of the door. Rather than cute psychology on the salespersons' part I'm rather inclined to believe it's poor (or absent) technique. Someone selling MINIs in 2002 may have been able to play the hard-to-get & shy coquette, but in late 2008 a seller should be using handcuffs & anaesthetising darts on any good prospect.
They probably do not think/realise we are in a recession and/or they believe all the guff that it will soon be over. Estate Agents appear to be in such denial.

Years of arrogance and riding a credit bubble probably makes them think that the good times will soon return. None of them can seem to grasp that the banks are technically bankrupt and we are on the verge of an economic cliff.

I think the next 6 weeks will be interesting as we might see loads of pre-reg cars up for sale on garage forecourts and sudden price drops when car dealers/makers realise that the market has fundamentally changed.

I have cash in my pocket ready to buy but I am hesitating. I look at the higher fuel charges, I look at the higher VED coming in the next two years and I think to myself that this is just going to keep on going up. At the same time I am trying to rationalise buying a smaller, more economical car with issues such as my height, safety and long-distance driving.

I have tried the bus for 2 months and it ain't good - everything takes longer. Saturday morning at Sainsburys now takes all day. You spend most of your life queuing for buses and whilst they are pleasant enough if you have 'nice' people on the bus with you if you have drunks, people who smell of smoke, ipod 'blasters' or screaming kids next to you then bus travel is not fun. Oh, and the obligatory British person who has years of anger built up within him or her and it is just bursting to get out.

Largely agree with you tawse. The banks and financial sector have landed us all in the mire and it'll be some years before this mess is cleared up (at the taxpayers expense, no doubt). Its not so much the current situation that worries, as what might be to come (higher inflation, possible redundancy etc etc). In previous recessions we've had some 'diversity' in the economy, but years of downsizing of manufacturing base and growth of what Mrs Thatcher called the 'post industrial economy' (burger joints, restaurants and selling each other houses) have left things rather fragile - its all a house of cards. I guess most people are thinking that now is not the time for making large purchases. I've read that lots of estate agents are closing offices - car dealerships to follow perhaps? I also reckon that when the new higher VED reminders start dropping on doormats there will be a burst of selling of big/heavy machinery - good job the price of scrap metal is rising LOL!
I have tried the bus for 2 months and it ain't good - everything takes
longer. Saturday morning at Sainsburys now takes all day. You spend most of your life
queuing for buses and whilst they are pleasant enough if you have 'nice' people on
the bus with you if you have drunks people who smell of smoke ipod 'blasters'
or screaming kids next to you then bus travel is not fun.

I wouldn't use the bus for the family weekly shop, but about a year ago I started using it to commute to work. I'm lucky in that I have a stop near home and one near work, so it couldn't be better really. Fellow passengers are usually commuters - not seen a drunk yet! I pay £12 for a weekly ticket - that's about 150 road miles of travel - difficult to beat that (although its been that price for over a year, so might be going up soon!).
Yeah but in a recession? There's also a school of selling that says never allow
a (potential) customer out of the door.

I think it's possible because traditional British reticence is seen as the customer not being keen.

I had our local SEAT dealer call out the blue trying to get rid of the last of the current model Ibiza's as daughter's is 4 yrs old. She was on away on holiday so I chatted to the guy and I said I'd helped her buy it and I was thinking it could do with changing (true) and wouldn't it be nice for her to come home and have a new car.

I then couldn't get rid of the guy over the next couple of days but it turned out he was "wrong" about the insurance group (it was 2 higher than he said) and the car didn't have side airbags, which I'd paid extra for on daughter's car. They were offering a pretty good deal, although I'm not sure I'd have plumped for the current version with the new one being more or less here now.
Is the car market dead? - Avant
Like you, BP, I help my daughter with car purchase. She's now on her third 1.3 Yaris and these are well worth a look. They seem expensive but Toyota dealers are keen to do deals - particularly now, as per this thread.

The new Yaris is costing her £20 a month less than the old one, even though this was PX'd at 2 years old and 55,000 miles. Impressively, nothing went wrong with it (or with the first one) and it still ran like new even after a hard life.
Is the car market dead? - tintin01
I think both EA's and car salesmen have forgotten how to sell in a recession. Certainly estate agents have been so used to a rising market that I think they still don't think they have to do anything to get the punters in. Our EA rings us up and asks about dropping the price, without any suggestion about what they could do (more pics, better copy etc.)

Who's fault is it? Banks for giving easy credit, but mostly the governents for allowing 10 years of massive house inflation. If people didn't have giant mortgages they would be able to absorb food and petrol rises more easily.

We say bye to our Saab 9-5 when our Hyundai i10 arrives in two weeks. I think many people will be making the same sort of move in the coming year.
Is the car market dead? - The Melting Snowman
Not as dead as it will be in 12 to 18 months, the usual length of time it takes for a recession to bite. And then there will be four years of hardship after that.

Old people like me have seen and lived through it all before and saved during the good years. There will be many up to about age 35 who have never experienced a recession and may well be in for a nasty surprise.
Is the car market dead? - Pugugly
We're off to Cumbria next month -Mrs P going to tease some Estate Agents whilst we're there. I think that's why she told me to sell the 535 :-(
You are far better placed than most to check this PU but I believe there is an unrepealed bit of law somewhere which still allows chastisement of a spouse with a stick no wider than your own thumb knuckle in the case of extreme insubordination. If true, I would never of course recommend its practise but you might consider the aquisition and prominent display of a suitable bough. Perhaps on a bracket above the fireplace.

;-)
The modern alternative is a BMW brochure left strategically in the shared bathroom.
Is the car market dead? - Old Navy
There will be many up to about age 35 who have never
experienced a recession and may well be in for a nasty surprise.

>>
I couldent agree more Snowman, I saw a 15% bank rate when I had a mortgage and car loan. I think there will be many distress sales of cars to come over the next few years, and bargains for some.
Our EA rings us up and asks about dropping the price without any suggestion about what >> they could do (more pics better copy etc.)

Perhaps it wouldn't make any difference at the moment, but it amazes me that estate agents don't generally give advice on how to present a house for sale. So you get these TV programmes where they spend perhaps a grand and the house used to sell almost instantly.
Is the car market dead? - ForumNeedsModerating
As you say MeltingSnowman - but I would say perhaps even older, 45-ish, given that many people don't really 'engage' with the mature economy until they're late 20s - that's a whole generation learning afresh that money doesn't grow on trees, that every pound spent must be earned at some point & that every pound spent via credit costs two pounds.

There's some nonsense in the media that things won't get better for another year or so - I say nonsense because the unravelling of the 30-40% HPI over & above the 'normal' range will take at least 5 years. Add on the oil price shock & the destruction of value from the credit crunch it & looks like a recipe for a step-change in our economic outlook & propects - I believe general living standards have peaked in fact, just as has the notional indicator of economic well-being, peak oil.

Edited by woodbines on 26/08/2008 at 00:36

Who's fault is it? Banks for giving easy credit but mostly the governents for allowing
10 years of massive house inflation.

So you would propose the government regulate lending and house prices then? It would be interesting to see the level of vilification of any government that went through with those kinds of ideas!. House price bubbles are practically a British pastime, made all the worse this time around by the fevered scramble for 'Buy To Let' investment properties (which kept the bubble inflated long after things would normally have cooled) and banks who were desperate to sell more and more debt without anyone bothering to look at the risks. All those carpetbaggers who got building societies to convert to banks don't look so clever now either.
Its all unwinding now and I suspect many sectors of the economy are in for a very rough time, I wouldn't want to be a car dealer right now.
Whose fault is it?
Who regulates the banks?
Who controls the printing of money.
Who can use the laws they have or pass new ones?

Answers to 10 Downing Street, London.

I agree with Snowman: end 2009 will probably be painful.

Meanwhile the C6 slowly gets cheaper...
I'm looking at the positives. It's making me keep my car and not make an impetuous change at the usual 18 months. (Combined with the fact it still 'feels' like a new car)
Is the car market dead? - NARU
How can the government criticise the people for taking out loans and frittering away the money, when its doing the same thing at an international level? We couldn't balance the books when lots of people were in work, so there's no buffer now times are getting harder.
How can the government criticise the people for taking out loans and frittering away the
money when its doing the same thing at an international level?

I don't think the government is criticising people for taking out loans, is it? Rather than 'nannying' people it has allowed them to get on with their lives and make their own financial decisions. Unfortunately a lot of people have been a little too avaricious or made flawed assumptions (e.g. that house prices only ever go one way - up) and so when they come unstuck they look around for someone to blame - and who else but the government.
UK government debt is pretty modest by international standards (despite all the alarmist headlines). As a percentage of GDP its below that of France, Germany, US, Canada, even Switzerland, and way lower than Japan's (which is almost 200% of GDP!).
Is the car market dead? - jbif
As a percentage of GDP its below that of France, Germany, US, Canada, even Switzerland, ...

Interesting claim. Can you provide the source, please.

The last figures I can find for various measures of debt are:
www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factboo...l
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_externa...t
www.order-order.com/2008/04/uk-mortgage-debt-gdp-r...l

Edited by jbif on 26/08/2008 at 11:17

Interesting claim. Can you provide the source please.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_...t

Internal + external debt as a % of GDP.
Whose fault is it?
Who regulates the banks?
Who controls the printing of money.
Who can use the laws they have or pass new ones?
Answers to 10 Downing Street London.

Its not as simple as that. It would be politically impossible for the UK government to regulate house prices or to impose lending controls of the sort that we had in the 1960's. Times have changed.
The FSA regulates the banking sector and is an independent body funded by the companies it regulates.
The current problems are most definitely not the 'fault' of government, they are the result of systematic flaws in the banking sector which need to be addressed on an international basis.
Certainly the UK government could introduce more regulation, but it would not be easy and there would be tremendous hostility and a lack of cooperation from the banking sector.
A great many people got into BTL when they realised that Brown had screwed their pensions and that their pensions would not be enough to retire on. Also, people got fed up of paying their pensions to Bankers who took an upfront commission whether the price of your pension shares went up or down.

Alas, greed then dived into the market, it got out of control, people began MEWing for bigger and bigger cars, more expensive holidays and so forth.

I think we are on the verge of the biggest housing crash in history. I think UK house prices will fall by at least 50% and no area of the UK will avoid the drops.

I live in South Wales and it is shocking how many 30K plus cars you see on the roads despite Wales having one of the lowest average wages in the entire EU. House prices have gone up several hundred percent and for those who bought 8 or 9 years ago the housing bubble has become an ATM for them. Now, the bad times are about to it - house prices will tumble, holiday firms will go bust and car dealers are going to suffer big-time.

Like houses, car dealers who heavily discount now will sell more in the coming months than those who wait. Same with houses. Things are just going to get worse and worse in the coming months and years.

I think this recession will kill of many dealers and it might see a fundamental change from dealerships to car supermarkets.
"The current problems are most definitely not the 'fault' of government, they are the result of systematic flaws in the banking sector which need to be addressed on an international basis."

And who regulates the banks?
Who regulated Northern Rock so well they let it break capital requirements and approved a dividend payment just months before it ran out of money?

I do not claim the banks are blameless: far from it. But history says (and says it every 20 odd years) that loosely regulated banks a end up in a credit bubbble.
Blame Greenspan.
Is the car market dead? - Baskerville
As you say MeltingSnowman - but I would say perhaps even older 45-ish given that
many people don't really 'engage' with the mature economy until they're late 20s

It depends. If your parents were unemployed in the early 1980s, or you lived on a sink estate in Toxteth, or in a town like Hull or Barnsley, then I'd say you were 'engaged' with the mature economy back then and knew money didn't grow on trees even if you were a child. It was probably the only thing you knew for sure in fact.

And then of course the last housing crunch came in the early 1990s, just about the time when many middle-class people who are now 40 were getting into buying property (often using dodgy endowment policies to finance the deal). I'm well under 45 but I know very well what a recession looks like and I have the scars to prove it.

As for quality of life, that peaked long ago, around the time when it became necessary to have two decent salaries to buy a family house in a good neighbourhood. There are more shiny toys now, but it's a mistake to equate that with quality of life. I look at my parents, whose house was all paid for by 1990, who only ever had one teacher's salary, and who 'retired' at 55 to begin a comfortable life of swanning around, and think we will never see an opportunity like the one their generation had ever again.

I look at my parents whose house was all paid for by 1990
who only ever had one teacher's salary and who 'retired' at 55 to begin a
comfortable life of swanning around and think we will never see an opportunity like the
one their generation had ever again.

Anyone with a decent job in the public sector (and that's a lot of people, including all Police and fire officers, teachers, nurses etc) will retire on index linked 2/3 salary pensions.

The people with more senior jobs are sitting on absolute goldmines - my SIL just took early retirement at 51 after 30yrs in local government and her pension is only slighty less than my pretty decent salary.
That is a huge change in size of car from the Saab to the i10 - have you considered things that you are able to do in the Saab but will not be able to do in the i10 - carrying large items - and what the pros and cons of it are.

Like you, I am considering a smaller car but height is an issue for me re car size plus I surf, so I need something that can carry a surfboard, and am thinking seriously about whether I even need to give up doing some of the things I enjoy just to be able to downsize to a more economical car. In reality, I do not think that is practical, especially as it would remove a joy of living for me... but in these days of much higher car running costs I think more and more people are thinking such things.
Did anyone of you try to get a job in the current market? If you did, probably you've seen that almost no one is hiring now!

The economy has come full circle. Most people are spending bare minimum. So, not just car market, overall any market is dead.

Did anyone of you try to get a job in the current market? If you
did probably you've seen that almost no one is hiring now!

I think it depends on the sector. Certainly, from what I hear and read, construction and retail are pretty dead. However some other sectors are doing OK. I teach electronic engineering in a university and, as every year, have taken quite a lot of calls from companies and agencies asking if we have any good graduates who haven't yet got jobs - there's still lots of vacancies out there.
Isn't this because of the dearth of people studying engineering now? I thought most students were studying Meedja or PC Games Studies these days?

Isn't this because of the dearth of people studying engineering now? I thought most students
were studying Meedja or PC Games Studies these days?

Only in Daily-Mail-Land. The proportion of students studying Media Studies and Games etc. is actually rather small. Business, Marketing etc tend to be very popular along with the usual (English, History etc etc). Engineering is not very popular, probably something to do with the relatively low salaries and demanding nature of the courses.
Is the car market dead? - DP
>>BMW are up 12%

I was talking to a Business to Business sales manager from a local BMW dealership at a BBQ yesterday, and he was telling me much the same. Apparently, the CO2 based company car tax and companies focusing increasingly on CO2 emissions are causing the x18d / x20d models to literally fly out the door. Low lease costs and low company car tax - quite a powerful combination.

Oh, and the 118d is Congestion Charge exempt from October thanks to 119g/km CO2 emissions, so expect to see quite a lot of those in and around London.

Fair play to BMW. They've anticipated the market and they're reaping the rewards.

Cheers
DP
I was reading an article in the Irish Times a few weeks ago stating that BMW were cutting back on volumes sold in Eire in order to keep up prices in a slowing car market.

I think they announced a 44% fall in profits a few weeks ago also?

Is the car market dead? - gordonbennet
Fair play to BMW. They've anticipated the market and they're reaping the rewards.

And should anyone have cause to visit Bruntingthorpe, they will find hundreds of the things 08 reg mostly 1 series parked there waiting for what.....buyers?
And thats only one parking lot.
And should anyone have cause to visit Bruntingthorpe they will find hundreds of the things
08 reg mostly 1 series parked there

Pre-registered - really?
Pre-registered - really?

Couldn't say what the reasons are, could be ex company cars or ex lease cars for employees, but they come in by the truckload, several every day.

Pendragon (owners of Evans Halshaw etc) are to post much reduced profits today. Their share price is a shadow of what it was and the company is now worth much less than the money they paid for the likes of Reg vardy not that long ago.

the car market might not be dead but the slaes / profit pulse seems very weak!
The days of people MEWing from their houses are gone and will not return. The banks are going to correct the housing market by returning to 3 times salary mortgages. They have to in order to prevent themselves publicly going bankrupt - they are technically bankrupt already - so house prices will collapse in the next few years and so will the price of cars. We are now in a deflationary cycle no different to Japan from 1990 to, um, the present day. I know that is hard for people to understand with rising fuel costs, rising taxes and so on but it is a deflationary environment nonetheless.

The clever dealers will begin discounting heavily now. Even offering 0% finance on a car is no longer of value as new cars will now depreciate further and faster than in previous years.

Is the car market dead? - jbif
so house prices will collapse in the next few years and so will the price of cars.

Audi are increasing their prices! See News item on the right:
Currency Price Rises Starting to Feed Through
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=5120

Is the car market dead? - Mapmaker
>>The days of people MEWing from their houses are gone and will not return.

Are you saying that houses will have to have cats, as well as cars?
Is the car market dead? - Chas{P}
And should anyone have cause to visit Bruntingthorpe they will find hundreds of the >>things, 08 reg mostly 1 series parked there waiting for what.....buyers?
And thats only one parking lot.

That airfield is the fullest I've ever seen it in the time I've been going there. The Cold War Jets Collection open day has had to be cancelled due to lack of space to access the runway.
hundreds of the things 08 reg mostly 1 series

I wonder how many of them are 118d and 120d models?

I wonder how many of them are 118d and 120d models?

I'll be there either this week or next, i'll make a point of having a nose, seem to be quite a few saloons/cabrio things.
Just wondering if this guy was spinning me a yarn.... ;-)

Is the car market dead? - Sofa Spud
Without giving too much away, a very desirable looking upmarket performance 4x4 has been on sale for some time at the local garage, at what appears to be a very reasonable, not to say 'bargain' price. Possibly the fact it has a petrol engine might be a factor here.
Is the car market dead? - boxsterboy
>>Oh and the 118d is Congestion Charge exempt from October thanks to 119g/km CO2 emissions
so expect to see quite a lot of those in and around London.

Not any more.

Boris has closed the 120g-or-less-for-free loophole along with the £25 charge for 'gas-guzzlers'.

Which makes the hybrid exemption even more of an mystery.
Boris has closed the 120g-or-less-for-free loophole

Which only goes to show that all the research and arithmetic we do before making decisions counts for nothing when a politician sticks his oar in.
How the devil can you possibly decide which way to jump in this country, unless you've got Mystic Megs moble number....
>>Both seem to be in fanatical denial about dropping values

Values clearly are NOT dropping, you say so yourself. "Denial" is a pretty strong word, as is "fanatical". They're just selling cars, you know!
Is the car market dead? - adverse camber
They're just selling cars you know!

Or not, as the case may be.
Values clearly are NOT dropping you say so yourself. "Denial" is a pretty strong word
as is "fanatical". They're just selling cars you know!

Just sat about twiddling their thumbs and reading Dear Deirdre's photo casebook in The Sun I would have though?
Yes, them and estate agents too (I know!)
Is the car market dead? - BobbyG
Spoke to an Estate Agent last night who told me she knows of one couple who bought a £300k house on a new development. Unfortunately no one else has and they are now being offered for £250k !

Ouch!
Which means that with some haggling you'll get them for £210k and with carpets, curtains and plenty of other stuff thrown in too. A decent negotiator would probably manage even more off that/

I'm sure that at least one big lease company, car sales company and house builder will go bust in the next 12 months.
Continuing to veer off thread, I read in the weekend papers that since Foxtons (London Estate Agents) was sold last June for £390m, the interest repayments are £26m/year. That's before all the other overheads. How long can that go on for?

Motoring link. The agents all drive around (some pretty badly) in gaudily painted MINIS, and there is a warehouse in Park Royal whose car park is full of their MINIS (presumably surplus to requirements in the current housing market).
Not long Boxster is my guess.
People must remember the car joke from the last fall-out in the financial sector:

What's the difference between a banker and a pigeon?

A pigeon can still put down a deposit on a Porsche.

Is the car market dead? - Kevin
>I think both EA's and car salesmen have forgotten how to sell in a recession..

That's because many of them have never had to do so, but they are probably going to learn. The dealers who have seen it before are already taking measures to reduce fixed costs (staff). A regular in our local is a car salesman who is keeping an eye out for a particular car I want. A couple of weeks ago he told me that overall sales where he works have fallen by about 20% and they've already made one salesman redundant.

>Our EA rings us up and asks about dropping the price, without any suggestion about what they could do..

To be honest, if your property is sound and in good decorative order there is very little they can recommend, (other than dropping the price), that would be cost effective in improving your prospects of selling.

My wife worked for an EA during the last dip and one of the problems they faced were owners who doggedly stuck to their original valuations despite prices falling from week to week. They were competing against lenders who would take any offer against a reposessed property that covered their exposure and it only delayed the inevitable.

The problem in today's housing and auto market is that the situation been made much, much worse by the "will-he/won't-he" Stamp Duty and VED fiasco.

Darling's dithering in clearing up the uncertainty is extremely irresponsible and is causing unnecessary damage to both sectors.

Kevin...
Is the car market dead? - Kevin
Duh!

Homer...

Edited by Kevin on 27/08/2008 at 01:00

Anyone with a decent job in the public sector (and that's a lot of people
including all Police and fire officers teachers nurses etc) will retire on index linked 2/3
salary pensions.

Would just like to correct this because its not true. Majority of the public sector do not get a 2/3 final salary pension (Police and Fire yes, but not most others such as teachers etc).
I work in a university and we work on 1/80 of salary per year with a maximum 40/80 (after 40 years). These days you would be lucky to get a pensionable lectureship before 30-35, so that means a max pension of ~30/80ths. And bear in mind that for the vast majority of staff the salaries are not that good. Approx 50% of UK Higher Education staff are on temporary short-term contracts.
I do a certain amount of work with industrial partners and occasionally you'll get a crack about how easy life must be in a university. I take great delight in telling them that we have vacancies (which is usually true). If they have a good honours degree, a PhD (or plenty of industrial experience) and a track record (in R&D, publications etc) then they will be shortlisted. If they get the job then they'll earn a salary that would have a Shell tanker driver spitting blood. Oh, and no company car, health cover, etc. Unsurprisingly none ever apply.
Go into any UK university science or engineering dept these days and you'll probably find that less than half the staff are British, or even Western European. We are increasingly dependent on staff from the Middle and Far East, along with some East Europeans. When we advertise a job its not unusual for not a single applicant to be UK/West European. The rewards in the sector are simply not enough to attract them, the private sector pays far better. Obviously it would be different if you were to look at other subject areas such as English or Archaeology, but staffing of engineering and science in UK Universities is in a bad way however you look at it.

Edited by qxman {p} on 27/08/2008 at 01:55

Is the car market dead? - b308
Stating the obvious, but many of the private firms are now doing away (if not already done so) with FS schemes and replacing them with rubbish alternatives, the Government Dpts aren't... yet... lucky them! The closer you get to your retirement date, the more you realise just how much you need something more than the basic pension, and the Gov stuff is these days better than you are likely to find in the private sector, especially at the bottom end of the job pile... so, to bring motoring back into the debate, the retired Gov employee will probably be able to afford a better car than the private one in comparable jobs....
I've never understood why all the people who complain about the wonderful pensions in the public sector don't work in it themselves.

Couldn't be that the salaries offered are generally too small to pay for a decent house and car, could it?

On the subject of cars I was in a local franchised dealer yesterday who says they're putting out quite a few 58 plates but only on the smaller models. No surprise there, I think.

I've never understood why all the people who complain about the wonderful pensions in >> the public sector don't work in it themselves.

I think it's something you don't think about until you reach a certain age. I find it almost astonishing that as a (young :-) ) 51yr old, the lads I went to school with who joined the Police are retiring now!

I'm not complaining - my wife and both daughters all work in public service. What does irk me is that my company employs people elsewhere in Europe who will retire on state earning related pensions which our company is paying a fortune for, but won't do the same thing for UK employees because it's not mandatory here.
Is the car market dead? - TheOilBurner
I arranged a test drive the other day (Avensis), but then cancelled when I got cold feet, later that day the sales manager was ringing me up practically begging me to come over and drive it, even if I wasnt' that bothered.

Given that you normally can't get these guys to call you back, let alone have their boss chasing you, something has clearly changed in the world of cars sales...
Is the car market dead? - tintin01
tawse - yes, moving from a Saab 9-5 to a Hyundai i10 is a big change. We will still have my Primera as a family car, but I will be interested to see how my OH who is 6ft+ finds the Hyundai if he needs to do a long drive. I don't know how suitable such small cars are as a family car, but I think we are maybe a bit spoiled nowadays.

I saw a lovely coke-bottle shaped Cortina the other day - it seemed quite small, yet in my childhood they were considered large, comfortable cars. It's not so long ago we were all living in 2 up 2 down houses, driving Austin's. I guess we have much higher expectations nowadays, which is maybe why personal debt is so high.

House prices - yes, I guess we will have to drop the price if we want a sale. The trouble is the ones we like are not dropping yet, so we can't afford to move unless we get a certain price. We want to buy somewhere bigger so a housing crash would benefit us in the long run.

I can see that people may think it inappropriate for the governemnt to interfere in the housing market, but I think I would have looked at taxing buy-to-let in order to reduce demand.
>>but I think I would have looked at taxing buy-to-let in order to reduce demand.

Ah that old joke. In what sense is buy-to-let not taxed just like any other business?
Here's an example - Audi A4 in green, 1.8 auto with 90k on a 98 K reg, climate control etc, full history, stack of bills etc, lovely condition - cant sell at £1000. I would have bought it at that price if I wanted a car.

Another, Astra on a Y-reg, 5dr in silver, 1.6 mid-range - £600, cant sell.

BMW 318 Coupe, 140k in blue, good cond, stack of bills, well heeled previous owner - cant sell at £1000.

Oh dear!
Is the car market dead? - Screwloose
on a 98 K reg

Something wrong there?
R-reg i meant :-)
Quite interesting market dynamic going on here if you can stand back from it all for a moment. There has been what might be called a certain irrationality in the car market, in this country at least, for quite a while. A habit which probably originated in the States of regularly updating or replacing cars.

If you consider that this is one of the few pieces of "household" kit that people regularly replace while it is still more than functional, indeed in many cases, hardly used. Washing machines, fridges, cookers, TVs, lawnmowers computers and so on tend only to be replaced when they fail to work and are deemed uneconomical to repair.

Maybe we will see a return to this purchase pattern with cars where people will continue to use them for much longer and even to "end of life".
Is the car market dead? - gmac
Maybe we will see a return to this purchase pattern with cars where people will
continue to use them for much longer and even to "end of life".

Interesting thought though with a Government intent on taxing anything over a certain age off the road guarantees a steady stream of replacements. Imagine if they did that with white goods.

Edited by gmac on 27/08/2008 at 20:02

£1,000 for a ten-year old car? You're taking the mick. Stuff it on eBay and you'll get £550 for it.

What will be really interesting is to see what happens in five years' time. If it's a really bad recession, there won't be new cars coming into the system to keep prices down. Used cars will rise in price.
Is the car market dead? - b308
tawse - yes moving from a Saab 9-5 to a Hyundai i10 is a big
change. We will still have my Primera as a family car but I will be
interested to see how my OH who is 6ft+ finds the Hyundai if he needs
to do a long drive. I don't know how suitable such small cars are as
a family car but I think we are maybe a bit spoiled nowadays.

I can't speak for the Hyundai, but we changed to the Fabia Estate in 2001 as our family car (2 adults, 2 teenagers plus luggage) and have clocked up many thousands of miles all over Europe in them since - the seats are comfortable and the ride very good - though size-wise, as you said later, its a big beast compared with the Metro/Fiesta which started the Supermini era!

TBH I think that cars are just getting too big these days, especially considering our roads aren't getting wider at the same time... We went out and looked at what was available in 2001, and, more importantly, what we actually needed, and found that we could easily cope with a Supermini/Small Family Estate, it was then narrowed down to a 306/Focus/Fabia... In my humble opinion cars are far too large these days....
return to this purchase pattern with cars where people will continue to use them for much longer

If people are forced to buy cars with cash [i.e. no cheap credit available] that situation is bound to happen!

In recent years, the word affordability was translated as ability to make monthly payment rather than whether someone has enough cash to make a down payment.

Is the car market dead? - ijws15
Passed a Peugeot dealer this morning

Advertising "New Peugeots for cost plus £1"

Would be worth getting a price and asking trading standards to check it really is cost plus £1.

Passed a Peugeot dealer this morning
Advertising "New Peugeots for cost plus £1"
Would be worth getting a price and asking trading standards to check it really is
cost plus £1.

this will be the INVOICE PRICE - the garage gets a BONUS per quota of cars - say target is 100 cars in the quarter the bonus could be £1,000 - £3,000 per car!

Get the price from the Peugeot garage - then check drivethedeal etc and car supersites
Is the car market dead? - MVP
Why would you buy a new/different car at the moment?

Who knows which way the price of oil is going to go - if it goes back to sub £1 a litre , why get rid of your big comfy car, if it's going to cost £1.50 a litre, the smaller the better.

A car that seemed a sensible choice 2 years ago, can look like a dinosaur today - until some stability returns to the world economy, I'm sitting tight

MVP
Assuming we go into a recession then fuel prices will fall BUT... this will only be short-term and as the global economy comes out of that recession all the same problems of supply and demand will be there and fuel will rise higher and higher... hence why there are all the gold bugs out there buying gold as they see it soaring by around 2012... and I don't mean for the Olympics!

Is the car market dead? - BobbyG
My friends had a crash in France on our summer holidays and their Scenic written off.
Insurance have just paid out their settlement and I have told them that the longer they can hold off buying a car the better as the values seem to be falling.

Although theirs was a 15 month old Scenic, I think they will now go for a 3 year old one and put some of the money towards clearing the loan.

They are also in quite a fortunate position of now being able to buy a car with cash, no trade in so think they will get quite a favourable deal. Yes, dealers normally prefer customers taking finance but I would imagine in this day and age they will be happy with a customer full stop?