50 mph everywhere! - ohsoslow
50 MPH max everywhere!

Is this what all roads will be like soon? Herself and I went out yesterday, from Leek in Staffordshire, into Derbyshire, Asbourne, Belper and then north on the A6 to Matlock. All of the open sections of this drive (ie, not 40 or 30 limits in towns and villages) are now limited to 50mph.

This route has gradually been taken over by 50 limit areas and some of the 40 areas seem to have expanded, now the transformation is complete.

This seems to be a trend here in Staffordshire on major A roads, but leaving lesser A and B roads to the 60 mph national limit.....so far.

Is this just happening here or are other areas doing the same?

50 mph everywhere! - Pugugly
Same here - just done a 20 mile trip to buy a tent (!), full of mimsing craphounds. Led to some spirited overtaking in the Skoda - which is loosening up nicely !
50 mph everywhere! - Westpig
with or without co-driver PU ?
Without - she was cleaning t'house.

Thinking of the other thread about driving for pleasure - I had thought of taking the bike on this trip - but I couldn't have enjoyed it more than doing it by car - nice bit of rain, Desert Island Discs and Paul Merton on Just a Minute - good drive.

Edited by Pugugly on 17/08/2008 at 14:49

guessed so, they tend to give plenty of advice that involves slowing down and conforming to everyone else's standard...takes the edge off the enjoyment
50 mph everywhere! - Alby Back
I know it's childish, but the vision of a Roomster being driven spiritedly just gives me a sort of Mr Toad image of two wheeled cornering and a "parp parp" horn !

Sorry, just my warped and bigoted perception.

;-)
Propaganda Humph - it won't get to me. Wish I'd taken the Golf though, but that is a licence burner.
50 mph everywhere! - Andrew-T
Leaving aside the brief vision of your tent full of m..ing cr..nds, PU, how did your words get past the swear-filter?
50 mph everywhere! - doctorchris
This phenomenon is not so prevelant in the North East.
However, a similar but self-imposed system seems to have been introduced. This involves almost everyone travelling at 35 mph in 40 mph zones, 45 in 50 zones and 50 in 60 zones on single carriageway roads.
However, oddly, the chosen speed in 30 mph zones is almost invariably at least 35 and usually 40 mph where the road is a dual cariageway.
I will avoid mentioning the bizarre reductions in speed that scameras invoke in many drivers.
50 mph everywhere! - Lud
Surrey are quite bad. There's the 50mph on the A3 Kingston bypass - I think it should have stayed NSL but as others don't let's compromise on 60 - as well as the awful fences before roundabouts to blind approaching traffic and force it to stop, or damn nearly. Mimsers take ages to get going again too. Further down on the A24, there's another bit of open, fast, wide, seldom very busy dual carriageway that is quite pointlessly limited to 60. And of course there are the Mickleham 'deceptive bends', perfectly OK at NSL but now with one lane crossed out and covered in gravel and 50 limited.

At least on dual carriageway you can filter past the mimsers. But although people making proper progress on single carriageways are not unknown, they are rare enough to make one happy when in their company, if only because one doesn't have to be trying not to get impatient or annoyed.

Edited by Lud on 17/08/2008 at 15:28

50 mph everywhere! - Dog
(hahaha!) I had to larf to myself cos I must be a "mimser" whatever one of those is.
I went out for a drive yesterday and I had the bare faced cheek - the audacity, to drive along, quite relaxed,enjoying the Cornish countryside and doing 40 MPH on an A road with a 50 MPH limit, and sure enough some young dude was on my bumper, trying to bully me into going faster - I slow down even more when that happens !
The really, really funny thing is - THAT used to be me 20 years ago (and worse !)
mimsers of the world unite : o)
50 mph everywhere! - b308
As long as they leave enough room between them and the car in front to let me "hop" past them I don't particularly care what speed they drive at... tbh I've not really noticed any difference at weekends, they've always been slow, luckily I work a 7 day shift pattern and my rest days tend to be weekdays rather than Sat/Sun... suits me just fine!
Dog,

Do you:

A, help someone past if it's reasonable to do so,
B, drive open mouthed not knowing or caring what's behind you or
C, would you go out of your way to ensure they conform to your speed/ideals?

no one minds an 'A', your prerogative to drive (within reason) at whatever speed you like, but increasingly nowadays 'B' and 'C' comes into play, which is rude and ignorant and arguably even an offence within the Road Traffic Act.

50 mph everywhere! - Dog
>>>A, help someone past if it's reasonable to do so,
B, drive open mouthed not knowing or caring what's behind you or
C, would you go out of your way to ensure they conform to your speed/ideals?<<<

Well westpig, if there is room to move over & let someone pass, I most certainly do, I remember when I drove through Germany many moons ago, there was a sort of hard shoulder like lane where one could pull over for that reason, which I found to be a great idea ... Look, if someone sits on my RHS drivers mirror - as close as is dangerously possible, then I'm going to be equally as courteous.
A 50 MPH limit doesn't mean you "have" to drive at 50 MPH.
50 mph everywhere! - Boggy
We have a 'relief road' opened a few years ago, built over the route taken by an old railway line. 2 miles of dead straight dual carriageway, concrete crash barrier down the middle - 50 mph! If you want that real mimsing experience, this is the road for you. Oh, you obviously do get the occasional BMW blasting by at well over the ton, but it's hard to imagine why it's not safe to go as high as 70. Has always struck me as very strange. I can't think of a road round here where it's possible to do 60, let alone 70!
A5 Edgware Road over Staples Corner (over the A406 North Circular Road) with West Hendon to the north and Cricklewood to the south is a dual carriageway, central barrier, no pavement, urban clearway, no traffic lights, most of it up in the air so pedestrians can't even vault a fence when they're not supposed to....and it's a 30mph limit, for the whole length........absolutely ridiculous

50mph would be reasonable, because there are 30mph limits either side and they are needed (a 70mph limit would have people still driving fast through the 30's)
50 mph everywhere! - Roger Jones
The more speed limits are introduced whose rationale most motorists find difficult to understand, the more all speed limits will be ignored.
The more speed limits are introduced whose rationale most motorists find difficult to understand the
more all speed limits will be ignored.>>

I agree. There were several stretches on these roads where it was very difficult to keep to 50. Many drivers just treated the limits with contempt anyway.

Next I suspect, more speed cameras of some description will appear.
50 mph everywhere! - Ravenger
There's a 4-lane dual carriage-way near me which is 30mph for its entire length and has a speed camera. What's bonkers is that there are very few pedestrians along the road and they are separated from the road by crash barriers and wide pavements. What's even more bonkers is that several hundred yards past that bit it goes into a 40 zone, and there are houses, shops and a school close to the road. Makes no sense!

Also the local council recently built a new ring road, which has more traffic lights and junctions than the road it replaced, and despite being a 4 lane dual carriageway is again 30mph for its entire length.
50 mph everywhere! - Lud
(over the A406 North Circular Road) ....and it's a 30mph limit for
the whole length........absolutely ridiculous

Haven't you ever hit 60 on that flyover Westpig? I certainly have.

But the carphounds and their pathetic open-mouthed acolytes have got us so cowed and terrorised these days, I don't know that I'd dare...
>
Haven't you ever hit 60 on that flyover Westpig? I certainly have.

Lud,

I'm pretending to be American..and pleading the fifth
50 mph everywhere! - stunorthants26
Northants isnt suffering unduly with cameras and silly speed limits - there are plenty of tight twisting 60mph stretches for spirited driving if that floats your boat.

We have the odd one though not so much a bad limit but creates bad drivers.
I was harrassed by some utter fool in a Focus today who seemed enraged by my unwillingness to do more than 40 on a long, straight stretch that has a 40 limit. I stuck to the limit because I know the road, I know that it runs through a parking area for walkers where they are often crossing the road, kids/dogs inc, so it is justified.

He even stuck on my back bumper on a twisting 60 section before nearly mounting my car alltogether when I slowed from 60 to 30 on entering the village.
I tell you, if I could launch objects rearwards legally, I would :-)
Most people who object to the limits would object whatever they are and then break them regardless. Make it 100 and they will do 110, law and order isnt for everyone.
50 mph everywhere! - ijws15
Coming back to the original post. I used to enjoy those roads until the 50s came in.

But they did have a lot of head on collisions and the number of fatalities on them has fallen. Perhaps the changes are not so bad after all.
50 mph everywhere! - Dog
I drive to what the road conditions dictate, I see roadspeed signs as advisory rather than compulsory ... same on the motorway - a 70MPH limit is far to low IMHO.
I have the greatest respect for commercial vehicles, of all shapes & sizes, as I've been there - stuck behind the wheel day in day out, year in etc., etc.,
Whilst I will treat a kid in a Fiesta sitting on my RHS mirror with the contempt they deserve, I will always try to be less of a mimser (hehehe - Ilike that word) to a true Knight of the Road.
I see roadspeed signs as advisory rather
than compulsory

Does that apply to all the other laws of the country, road and otherwise? Or are you just selective to what suits you and pick and choose - just wondering if you include murder under those you feel are "advisory"?

Anarchy here we come, eh! ;-)
50 mph everywhere! - Dog
>>>Anarchy here we come, eh! ;-)<<<

I congratulate you on your correct assumption comrade b308, I am an Anarchist in the true sense of the word = Rule without rulers.
:-)
50 mph everywhere! - colinh
Just simulated the OP's route in Garmin Mapsource with a 70 mph limit and a 50 mph limit (so it's been a slow day at the Olympics so far), and it shows a 3 minutes difference in the journey time - discuss.
Journey time was no concern for me on this journey. I expected that the time gained at the higher limits would be quite small but am surprised it is as little as 3 minutes. I just feel that we are increasingly being reduced to 50 on all but some dual carriageways and motorways.

The frustration shown by some drivers on this journey was quite apparent, which surely is not good for road safety. We'll all get used to going at 50 soon perhaps.

I drove back from Sunderland for 4 hours at 55-60 to save fuel.
Thing is, on the way there earlier in the day, it took me virtually the same time to get there at 70-75 when possible. Driving fast has little to do with journey times, journey times are just the excuse used to justify driving faster.
50 mph everywhere! - Waino
Driving fast has little to do with journey times ..... journey times are just the excuse used to justify driving faster.>>

I suspect that this is true.

Whilst I'm sure that Lud (and his acolytes) are excellent drivers, there are many excellent drivers who can't handle a car properly even at 50mph - hence the millions being spent (and the inconvenience) on straightening out the 'Haughley bends' on the A14.
In today society, I personally have opted out of the rat race as it were. Im capable of driving fast and on a rare occasion I do, but these days, my priority is economy, not progress and if it takes a little longer, that is usually to the benefit of stress levels.

50 mph everywhere! - mjm
>>a 3 minutes difference in the journey time - discuss.<<

I commute 13 miles each way to work and back. Rural roads, no dual carriageway/motorway. I have done the one way trip in a best of 10 minutes and a worst of 30+ minutes(mimsers/fog/hgvs/etc) The 20 minutes "saved" is irrelevant to me. It plain, straightforward is irrelevant. The enjoyment of "making progress" is the means and the end in itself. I suspect that most people who enjoy "speed" think the same way.
50 mph everywhere! - perleman
My friend is a doctor who lives in Barnstaple and works in a country practise some 35 miles away. He drives a 1.4 Peugeot 306 and the journey takes hime about 1:15. However in his wife's Subaru Imprtezza WRX STi, he can do it in 50 mins.

50 mph everywhere! - Lud
Journey times can be radically shortened by driving quickly at times of low traffic density, in extreme cases halved. However it is also possible to work yourself into a white-knuckle sweat over 50 miles and hardly make up five minutes on someone taking it easy. Depends very much on random factors - 'luck' with other traffic and traffic lights etc. - and overall traffic conditions starting with density and considering weather, time of day, direction of travel, day of week, time of year etc. These days of course there are new hazards in the form of lower limits, gratuitous lane closures and other deliberate, often dangerous obstructions inserted into the road system by evil local authority gremlins, cameras and the effect all these things have on other people's driving as well as one's own.

BUT as I and others have said in the past, journey times are not usually what it's about. It's about staying awake, pretending motoring is still possible and resisting the embarrassingly infantile attitudes and practices being foisted on us by government and eagerly embraced by far too many of our fellow car users.
50 mph everywhere! - The Melting Snowman
The best fun these days is on two wheels. Kawasaki Ninja 650R. Great fun.
50 mph everywhere! - Big Bad Dave
To plant a slightly different angle on things, just got back from doing 2000 miles in Blighty 99.9% of which were thoroughly pleasant motorway miles in the good old North West. Nobody speeding, (well maybe the odd white van was almost a little bit naughty at times), no morons, no heavy traffic, no tail-gating, no abuse, no unwanted hand signals. I began to wonder if this was the same land I left 4 years ago.

I got to back to Poland last week, spent 5 and a half hours to drive 200 miles on Friday to the lakes (1 serious head-on collision due to moronic overtaking) went back on Sunday - 11 hours to do 200 miles (lost count of the number of delays due to morons in head on collisions and sickening aftermaths) Dogs learn faster than this don't they? Try and overtake 7 cars in a 700cc Daewoo and you will DIE! Or worse, waste three hours of my time. Idiot.

Count yourselves lucky UK, cheap, great quality used cars and fantastic driving conditions, not to mention a population with a modicum of road craft. Where I live, every lobotomized Rhesus monkey has a driving licence, the entire population is bereft of any road-sense whatsoever and successful sexual selection is dictated by what idiotic male enters the most dangerous bend first or at the highest speed.

Just ranting.
50 mph everywhere! - daveyjp
BBD - try the A65 on a Sunday, it is just like Poland - plenty of fools doing mad overtakes into blind bends. Another biker was killed on there just this weekend.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/756748...m

I saw the aftermath - not pretty.