BMW Boxer - johncyprus
I realise that most of your posts are about 4 wheelers but hope for some good feedback about a 1988 BMW 80RT I am thinking of buying.This is a horizontally opposed twin cylinder motor bike and is 14 years old with 57k on the clock but hasn't been ridden for about two years however it looks very tidy, neither the front caliper or rear drum have seized and the clutch appears to be OK and the engine turns when rocked in gear. What I intend doing is draining the old petrol from the tank and carbs and filling up with new, and jump starting it from my car to the old knackered battery.

Advice on two points would be appreciated:
I) If it doesn't start as above any ideas what do after checking that the spark is OK
2) Will there be any lasting problems with the bike because of it's lack of use?

Many thanks John
BMW Boxer - Toad, of Toad Hall.
1) Dunno but the carbs ought to be easy to get to.

2) Do the usual buying a bike checks before you buy it:

Fork seals. (Give it a good bounce)
Rear shocks.
If the 80RT is a shaftie you can neglect the Sprokets and chain.
Rear shock(s). ;-)
Check for sideways play in the rear wheel.
Check for play in the headstock.
Check the light brightens when revved.
Check all lights.

That's all I can think of to specifcally look for.

IMHO project bikes are always a money pit. Unless it's literally scrap value you want only to buy this as a runner with 12 months MOT...
--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
BMW Boxer - mark
Hi John

these are generally quite sturdy and as toad says carbs are easy to get at.

Your main issues are likely to be a clogged up fuel system I have found that with bikes that have been standing its not unusual to find that the carb float bowls are gunked up and that the inside of the petrol tank has started to corrode leaving bits of rust etc to block the jets once you have it running. I would flush out the tank carefully clean the filter on the tap if it has one and clean out the carbs and blow the jets through.

Other than that a quick oil change and check the condition of the tyres for cracks and perishing before you venture onto the road.

Overall BMW quality of finish is good so after a bit of TLC it should look just like any other BM and who will know its been stored?

as ever

Mark