Driving Pleasure - redviper
Just wondering, with the increased petrol costs traffic jams etc, - does anyone still just get in the car for the sake of it and go for a drive somewhere for me the greatest way to "chill" is to take my car out somewhere some good tunes on the CD player and drive off for a couple of hours through the country ( i dont go tearing through at great speed) I just like to drive and the feeling it brings, I dont get the same feeling driving to work becasue ive got work on my mind but after work i just think about the pleasures of driving my car - but i feel more and more guilty with constant reminders of air pollution, high petrol prices, and road space (but at the same time it does not stop me)

Anyone else feel the same?

Ste
Driving Pleasure - MVP
Not anymore

We've had several classic cars, and I feel I would even sell the remaining e-type we have.

Speed camera's , speed bumps, traffic calming, congestion etc. etc., have taken away most of the pleasure.

We now have a boat :), you can go out into the solent, with hardly a boat in sight, go as fast as you dare, and no nanny-state interference - this is the way to go IMHO

Mark
Driving Pleasure - stunorthants26
Funny this has been brought up now - me and the misses are just about to go for a drive round the villages south of Daventry, just for the hell of it. Its a nice time to chat, see pretty places and potter about. We do it every few weeks.
Thanks for your reply - its just that i love driving so much, my car is there for my pleasure thats what i pay for the more the car tax will go up the more im inclined to use my car to "get my moneys worth" LOL!
Driving Pleasure - skorpio
For being out in the fresh air and being able to go anywhere I like, I'd prefer my mountain bike thanks.

If I lived in the Lake District and had my ideal car, a Caterham superlight, then yes, I would definitely go out for the pleasure of it.
Driving Pleasure - jase1
Well, I live in rural County Durham, where there are few cars and no speed cameras, so as you can imagine it's business as usual for me. I still have a tear-around the rural B-roads on a regular basis just for the hell of it.
Well I live in rural County Durham where there are few cars and no speed
cameras so as you can imagine it's business as usual for me. I still have
a tear-around the rural B-roads on a regular basis just for the hell of it.

I to live in County Durham and the rural side of Durham (no speed camera's) and north Yorkshire is brilliant on a summer night :-)
Driving Pleasure - movilogo
Yes - I often go out for "not really a necessary" pleasure trips. Just drove to Cornwall recently and enjoyed every moment (though rain damped the spirit on last day). Covered 900 miles in 3 days (incl journey to/from home) :)
Driving Pleasure - djt100
Nope,

I used to always have the daily car and a nice classic for the weekends and such, Never anythig to expensive but just sometihing to get out and about in without worrying if i had to park in a multi story. But sold it a couple of months ago and really not missing it.. Fed up with traffic, bumps etc.... just not enjoyable anymore where i live..

Driving Pleasure - ohsoslow
I do. I often take my MX5 out for a drive in the nearby country roads during lunch time or after work. Just a 20 mile spin helps clear my head of all the rubbish I have to endure at work. Only when it is dry though, so recently this has been a little limited.
I do. I often take my MX5 out for a drive in the nearby country
roads during lunch time or after work. Just a 20 mile spin helps clear my
head of all the rubbish I have to endure at work. Only when it is
dry though so recently this has been a little limited.

This is excatly what i do, i try and make the most of it becasue one day unessacry driving might be against the law the way things are going in this country
Driving Pleasure - GJD
I very much enjoy driving and often go out for no other purpose than just to drive. I take the longer but more fun route to work sometimes. Evenings/weekends I might go out just for a drive, or I might combine it with a trip I was going to do anyway - e.g. my usual supermarket is about three miles away, but if I have no time pressure, occasionally I'll take 40 miles on enjoyable roads to get there. Same with going to see friends. As long as I pick the right roads and the right time, other traffic isn't a problem.

I don't see any reason to feel guilty and I've no intention of curtailing my hobby.
Driving Pleasure - Group B
These days I dont often just go out for the hell of it, I'm sad to say.
Most of my driving is commuting which can be boring but I do still enjoy driving, even in traffic (I dont see much real congestion where I drive though).
Occasionally driving to work I go the long way and join the M1 at a different junction just to drive a good road.

When were not busy with other things at weekends the missus and I usually go out somewhere rural, so the drive is usually an A/B-road trip. She is interested in the destination, for me the drive is half of the attraction.

I'm really enjoying my car this week. I took the tuning box off before I had it serviced last week, then I didnt have time to re-fit it until Tuesday, so I got re-used to the cars original sluggish delivery.
Having now refitted the tuning box its like having a new car; every press of the accelerator gives a satisfying quick response and greater shove instead of the engine pausing to think about what to do!
Driving Pleasure - Dog
It can still be a joy to drive down here in Cornwall, but not at this time of the year - too many emmetts about, that is what the Cornish call tourists, it means ants !!
Its not meant in a derogatory way, just that there are a lot of them about : )
I went for a run once, back in the early 90's ... over to France, through Belgium, into The Netherlands, over to West Germany and into the former GDR (East Germany) into Poland, down through Czechoslovakia and back through Germany, I did about 10,000m in 2 weeks - good run that was !
Driving Pleasure - Lud
In years gone by I used to drive about in the middle of the night (a lifelong owl) just for pleasure, batting about the East End and along the cobbled alleys between docks and warehouses, now either eliminated or 'redeveloped', on the Isle of Dogs in the small hours. I don't these days though. But despite the criminal sabotage of the London road system and today's faffing, mimsing traffic taking up twice as much space as it needs to, and although my modest 14-year-old jalopy isn't what one could call sporting or luxurious or individual, if I get into it to go somewhere there is always a slight lift of the spirits, a bit like getting a long-awaited, already-spent cheque through the post or seeing the first drink of the evening.

Cuckoo, of course. We are a sort of hybrid species, a strange shoot from the trunk of humanity, doomed to extinction along with the automobile. But not quite yet I hope.
Driving Pleasure - andyfr
It's funny but I was recently wondering just the same thing.

I love driving and I have ever since I passed my test. When we get the time it's nice just to jump in the car and go for a drive.

Andyfr
Driving Pleasure - Dog
Funny you should say that Lud, I'm a Londoner born & bred, strong in the arm & weak in the head ... I used to like driving around London 1st thing in the morning - best time really - about 5am like ... surely the same must go for any major city ?
Driving Pleasure - Lud
if I get into it to go somewhere there is
always a slight lift of the spirits a bit like getting a long-awaited already-spent cheque
through the post or seeing the first drink of the evening.

I wondered at the time if writing that was asking for trouble. Sure enough, when I got into it an hour ago to take my wife and her luggage up the road to get my daughter's car so she wouldn't have to come into the congestion zone with it, my car teased me for about five minutes with its crotchety immobilizer, the damn carphound.

I think its having been parked near a pensioned-off Skoda in the country may be to blame. Skodas have a wicked Czech sense of humour.
Driving Pleasure - mike hannon
>I think its having been parked near a pensioned-off Skoda in the country may be to blame. Skodas have a wicked Czech sense of humour.<

Must've heard you yearning for a Tatra the other day...;-)
Driving Pleasure - Lud
yearning for a Tatra

... and worse still, insisting that it must be black, as if I had got tired of grimy, rust-streaked white... OO-er. I'll have to be extra polite to it for a while now.

My mobile rang in the third row of the stalls of the National Theatre last night seven minutes into Jeremy Irons making a very good fist of Harold Macmillan. Fortunately it is on Subdued Purr rather than the Alleluia Chorus so the actors didn't hear it, but even so I felt like a flustered old technophobe as my companions tried not to giggle and the people in front tried not to look round while I felt for its off-switch through my folded raincoat. Am I having a bad machine week?

Edited by Lud on 15/08/2008 at 18:31

Driving Pleasure - deepwith
Lud, it happens to the best of people. A friend of ours was a Musical Director. At one notable performance, where he was conducting, he asked all the audience to double check their mobiles were off. Soon after this there was loud ringing. Musical Director was looking daggers at the front row, until his eyes fell on ... his own jacket left on a seat!
Driving Pleasure - Lud
Am I having a bad machine week?

I am forced to conclude that I am. Several days ago I sat on my distance glasses breaking the small weld holding one of the earpieces on. Fortunately the nose pads had fallen off some time before, so their stubs digging into my nose kept the specs more or less in place, if a bit askew. Last night though they exploded across one of their tiny threaded holes and sprang open releasing the left lens somewhere inside or just outside the house, can't find it anywhere. I was forced to wear an old glass pair this morning with both lenses the same, inducing a permanent squint and soon afterwards a headache.

The optometrist down the road gave me a free eye test, nearly due, just after midday, and had in stock both the correct lenses, although without the uv-sensitive coating I like. I insisted on cheap frames and they produced a nice new pair by early this afternoon, only 115 quid, groan. But impossible to drive or see clearly down the street or across the room without them, so essential.

I will be bowing, scraping and muttering invocations instead of the usual imprecations next time I dare to approach the car.
Driving Pleasure - FotheringtonThomas
Occasionally, although I really haven't the time these days, so I just enjoy going from "A" to "B", wherever that may be. Nicer on on a motorbike, though. You can keep your CD player or whatever to yourself, though, I absolutely hate driving with music or blurb on the go, it spoils and the experience and detracts from the concentration.
You can
keep your CD player or whatever to yourself though I absolutely hate driving with music
or blurb on the go it spoils and the experience and detracts from the concentration.

I agree, sometimes i like to just have the sounds of the car, but sometimes i like to have tunes on just whatever takes my fancy at that time
Driving Pleasure - mike hannon
Actual driving doesn't do much for me these days but we are lucky to have quiet rural French roads literally on our doorstep and we still travel for pleasure a lot - even back to the UK from time to time. We were recently in east Sussex and apart from the time we strayed near to Crawley the roads were pretty enjoyable, particularly early in the morning.
I have to say, as well, that after three years and 40,000 miles, the old Prelude with sequential shift has never bored me and I know no journey will be dull because I can vary the car to suit the mood.
I don't even bother with the CD player much - the car's soundtrack is pretty satisfying.
This is a great thing, in my estimation. It is actively slowing my search for some other sort of interesting wheels because, apart from one car that I won't bore you with, nothing I have driven so far is such a nice experience overall.
Driving Pleasure - tawse
Since speed cameras came in - and they spread like a virus in South Wales - I went from enjoying driving, and would drive for pleasure, to it becoming a very stressful and anxiety-filled activity for myself.

What is odd is that I simply do not speed. I do not enjoy the thrill of speed on roads and so always try to keep to the speed limit.

What I think changed it for me, and caused the anxiety, is that I became so worried and anxious about being a few miles above the speed limit - you know when you suddenly pick up speed on a downward hill or you have over-taken someone only to find a strategically placed mobile camera waiting in just the right spot - that I found myelf concentrating so much on the speed dial that it simply raised my levesl of anxiety and stress.

Interestingly, a friend who is a Counsellor tells me that he has seen a huge increase in people suffering from stress induced anxiety and panic in the last few years since the surge in speed cameras in the area.

I actually believe there is a serious but hidden health issue here as people who are brought up in a certain way, who act and live their lives in a certain way and who think that it is a huge shameful embarassment to have anything to do with the Police - and apparently there are tens of millions of Brits like this and shrinks actually have a name for it - are now suffering stress, anxeity and panic simply from driving everyday and fearing that they will end up with points on their licence and even losing their licence.

At the outset, the above might seem hilarious to some but apparently it is a serious mental health issue at is, as I say, apparently going unnoticed.
Driving Pleasure - Lud
How interesting tawse. And it's not as if people didn't have enough to worry about already either.

Of course speed cameras are there to rob the driver, not to save lives. They may have saved one or two here and there of course. But how many deaths and injuries have they caused as a result of drivers suddenly applying their brakes in the faster lanes of bits of road that shouldn't have a limit in the first place? Have the figures ever been collected?
Driving Pleasure - tawse
I am not aware of the figures being collected - this was just a conversation with a friend on the subject which begun by myself telling him of my increased anxiety and him coming back, and surprising me, by telling me that I was not alone and that he was now effectively treating loads of people with 'Anxiety and Depression', the two go hand in hand medically, which includes anxiety, panic attacks, stress, etc, and that these numbers had suddenly shot up 4 or 5 years ago just when mobile speed cameras were popping up all over South Wales.

Airline pilots have a similar problem apparently. I forget the name of it but for years it was known medically that many pilots had what was initially perceived to be a fear of heights. However, recent research has shown that this particular condition is very similar to, but not identical to, a fear of heights. Actually, it is a fear of not being in control and is very much in common with that feeling that many people get whilst on top of a tall building or crossing a bridge - they want to jump off. They want to jump off not because of a fear of the height itself but out of a fear of not being in control. By jumping off you are effectively in control of the situation... albeit it until you hit the ground or water. Modern research has shown that a ridiculously high percentage of pilots suffer from this and many are motivated to fly not just out of a love of flying but out of a fear of not being in control when flying. It actually makes them good pilots but lousey airline passengers.

Police Officers, again research has shown, have a high percentage of people amongst their ranks who suffer from a fear of even being questioned by about crime, no matter how trivial, let alone arrested for it. This fear drives them into becoming Police Officers in the first place and, in many respects, is very similar to what is now happening with motorists being stressed out and anxious about going anywhere near the speed limit - so driving has gone from being a pleasure for millions to becoming quite a nasty daily experience. You can see this manifest itself where there are static speed cameras and drivers do not just slow down to the speed limit they actually go 10 or even 20 miles lower than the speed limit out of a fear that the camera will go off. There is a speed camera on the M4 near Port Talbot set up a 50 MPH limit but thousands of cars every day slow down almost to a crawl when passing it. It is not logical but is understandable when you know of the above.

Anxiety & Depression - again, they always go hand in hand medically - are terrible things because they bring about awful things like panic attacks, breathing difficulties, feelings of dying, of having a stroke, of having a heart attack and can effectively mentally cripple people via Panic Disorder.

In my personal view I think the rise of speed cameras in the UK, whilst no doubt are stopping people speeding in their location and hopefully saving life, is actually causing millions of us to suffer these terrible stress-related illnesses. The British are simply too polite for this kind of thing and research has shown that decent, law-abiding 'good' people are the ones who suffer most. The ones who don't give a damn usually sail through such things until, one day a long way in the future, it all eventually catches up with them.

I will shut up now - driving has become a very stressful experience for myself personally though.

Oops, forgot to mention that this could also be a pointer towards why we are seeing so much road-rage on the roads nowadays also. Not the sole reason but certainly, perhaps, a contributing reason.

Driving Pleasure - Group B
I will shut up now - driving has become a very stressful experience for myself
personally though.

That is fascinating stuff tawse, thanks for posting it.

This strikes a chord now with the driving of my fiancees father. I guess he has driven for 40 years and outwardly he seems comfortable behind the wheel, he sometimes talks about cars and knows a little about them, but he recently admitted that he does not enjoy driving and never has.

He exaggeratedly slows down for speed cameras, and now I come to think of it his reaction has an air of panic rather than a rational, "check my speed... I'm okay."

When we go out with them he normally always drives, but after reading your posts I will start offering to drive from now on.

Personally I am now quite relaxed about them (not saying I like them). I know (or rather, assume!) that most are set to the ACPO guidelines of limit +10% +2mph, so if I inadvertently find myself passing one a few mph over the limit, I tell myself I will probably be okay.
Driving Pleasure - Avant
Until 3 weeks ago I didn't go out just for fun, as I do 20,000 miles a year: I still greatly enjoy driving (lively Golf 2.0 TDI estate) but that was giving me enough to be going on with.

But now I've acquired a BMW Z3 as a fun car, yes, I do take it out for fun - that's what it's for. It's a combination of the open top and a straight-six engine: on a sunny day like today (well, it was here in the South - sorry!) it was hard to resist, and I did a short business trip in it which I wouldn't normally do.
Driving Pleasure - gordonbennet
Interesting thread, has made me think a lot, not good.

I've got two driving heads, when i'm driving for my living i can cope with anything, traffic, idiots, the absurd nannying, the idiotic computerised gearbox that i have to drive in manual to make safe normal progress, and the increasing surveillance of us by many means worry me not a jot, just as well i suppose, it comes with the territory.

But i become a totally different person once i get in my own car in my own time, which is becoming increasingly less frequent.
Its a good job my cars are pleasurable to drive, both proper auto's, as i really don't think i would ever take a manual car anywhere other than work commute.
I'm getting less patient and the antics of various fools encountered all day every day without problem whilst i'm working really annoy me to the nth degree, when you get to your destination, there's a good chance the parking stazi will ruin your trip if they can.

Give me an open road, and i'll take my old MB for miles of pleasure, smooth running, almost imperceptible gear changes constant uninterrupted acceleration and predictable RWD handling mean progress rapid or sedate can be equally pleasurable, i suppose most RWD/4WD automatic cars come into this pleasurable driving thing.

The few times recently i've taken a normal modern manual car anywhere have been frustrating and uncomfortable experiences, normal price range, i realise there are exceptions.
Engines with no low speed torque or smoothness, rough diesels, clutches so fierce they either stall the dreadful excuse for an engine immediately or judder if you get frustrated with the thing and give it more throttle to overcome the stalling, horrible FWD handling, wheel spin in the wet, torquesteer, even in the dry pulling fairly rapidly away from a junction, and don't tell me about the dubious masochistic pleasures of the automated manual (same dreadful thing i've got a 12 speed useless version of in the truck), progress being a series of leaps and dives, truly the gearbox from hell.
Even starting some of the modern things is a trial by patience.

Sorry i've gone on a bit, but this rant has just confirmed the possible replacement for my old MB, it wont be manual/automated manual/FWD/modern diesel.
Funny how sometimes things become so clear once you've written them, even if other readers can't make head or tail of the waffle.

Driving Pleasure - welshlad
i used to go out driving quite alot, but ive had to cut back on how much driving i do because it was getting too expensive (not just fuel costs but life in general)
Driving Pleasure - Lud
Tawse's posts are fascinating, because they say in a different way what I have often said here: that a lot of bad driving, especially of the mimsing and Double-Take Brothers sort, is caused by repressed but acute anxiety of which the driver may be partially or wholly unaware.

For those of us who are barmy enough, though, there is some pleasure even in reflecting on these matters in the thick of crawling traffic. If you can't actually drive for a lot of the time, at least you can consider in detailed analytical fashion the psychic and other interplay pulsing through the surrounding traffic like invisible sheet lightning. I bore my poor wife rigid with monologues in this vein, although what she really hates are the sudden expletives that sometimes escape me under severe provocation.
Driving Pleasure - Alby Back
A phenomenon which appears to be particularly prevalent here in the NW is the "mimser" convoy effect. It is initiated by the "Lead Mimser" (LM) who sets the funereal pace. Usually an uncannily steady 40mph. This speed is maintained regardless of road conditions, traffic density or prevailing speed limit. Even 30 and 20 mph zones are not exempt from this, 40 mph on the nail whatever the limit.

The convoy is then extended by M2 , M3 and sometimes M4. M2 gets to within less than a car length of LM and stays there. M3 will occasionally weave around a bit to perhaps vaguely hint at at an overtake but will usually tire of this in due course and settle into his or her rightful place. You guessed it, 10 feet behind M2. M4 joins in and doesn't bother to weave and just sits the regulation distance behind M3.

Eventually, M2, M3 or M4 will lose concentration. It must indeed be hard to drive in such close formation for extended periods. One of them will inadvertantly drop back leaving a safe overtaking gap. This may remain in place for some time and the unwary can be deluded into thinking this is a deliberate courtesy to following traffic. However, if you then have the audacity to actually attempt to overtake M4, M3 or M2, or indeed any combination of them, they tighten up quicker than the Red Arrows, usually when you are alongside and in the greatest danger.

One of the almost forgotten advantages of my recently aquired, reasonably powerful, petrol car is that you can take out multi-mimsers (MMs) in one move. Having driven large but moderately powered diesels for many years the MM phenomenon had become a fearsome and demoralising sight. The stress factors alluded to by Tawse and Lud are now limited to timing the MM despatch technique to avoid the inevitable camera placed in the few spots where this is possible.

Driving Pleasure - Lud
Used to do it a lot HB, am much more circumspect now. Even thirty years ago M2 could finally get his courage up and pull out in kamikaze style just as you were about to pass the carphound. These days I would expect it.

Enjoyed your sound documentary-style description of modern A road traffic especially at summer weekends though. Even sticking rigidly to the chosen mimse through limits that are lower than the mimse, well spotted... however I must say under those circumstances I often feel as it were thankful for small mercies.

:o}
Driving Pleasure - nick
I still drive for pleasure a lot. I suppose not having to commute helps and living where I do with reasonably empty roads can make driving fun. I have one 'modern' and several old classics that need regular exercise so if it's a nice day I'll go for a blast just for the hell of it. Costly? Yes, if you count it as a means of transport, but less so if you look on it as a hobby as well. The classics cost peanuts to own so the only real cost is fuel.
Driving Pleasure - Harleyman
What nick said; but sadly I don't use the GMC pick-up as much as I used to. Fifteen MPG takes its toll eventually, so it only goes out when there's timber to collect or junk to be tipped.

Still the most fun way I know to go to the council dump though!
Driving Pleasure - Alby Back
Funny how odd combinations of time, weather, car, and road conditions can sometimes add up to a thrilling drive. I was out late last night in appallling weather. Extreme rain, partially flooded roads, well standing water anyway. Took the long way home on the twisty winding country A roads. No other traffic to speak of. Paul Weller unplugged on the CD. Made swiftish progress despite foul weather. Really enjoyed it for some reason.
Driving Pleasure - Pugugly
I was thinking that last night - I always have a perverse pleasure from driving in the rain - I had a 40 mile trip the other day in torrential rain - it was in the work Honda, lights, heater, air con and wipers - and a journey time that was long enough to enjoy the Radio 4's Afternoon Play. Couldn't find fault with any of that - the play was one about a B17 being flown to Florida n WW2 (still available on iPlayer) - brilliant.