Are small cars impractical for tall people? - tawse
Open a paper or turn on the radio or TV these days and all the talk is about going gree, downsizing cars to save on fuel, tax and so on but...

Are small cars such as the Yaris, Micra, Fiesta, Polo, etc, etc totally impractical for a tall people? Are they bad for the health of those who are tall or even overweight?

As more and more of us apparently aim to buy smaller cars are we doing our health a long-term injury? Are smaller cars more at risk of injury to the occupants in a car on car collision? What happens if you suddenly need to move something big or visit a DIY shed to buy that new garden mower?

As much as I would love to buy a small car I just cannot see how, for the reasons above, they would be practical unless - as is the case with virtually everyone I know who owns one - you are part of a two car family and your other car is a big 4X4, MPV or large saloon or estate. The only people I know who have a small car as their only car are retired couples.

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall, am single, have no family but I surf, so have need to carry a surfboard on the roof of my car, but otherwise I have no real need for a 'big car' other than that occasional trip to the airport with luggage in the back or a visit every now and then to a DIY shed. I have begun, for green reasons and economic reasons, to think about a Yaris but, heck, it is a push to fit in one and I expect, apart from being easier to park and cheap to run, there would be serious downsides in being to transport anything 'big' if I ever needed to... oh, and in such cars I have to push the seat so far back that no one could sit behind me anyhow... but this is the same for Focus, Golf, Asta, Mazda 3 and so on.

Or maybe car makers just don't think of tall people when they design and build cars? I can understand why so many people opt for easy to get in and out MPVs - if you are tall low seats in a great many cars are a strain on back, thighs and knees when you get in and out... an osteopath friend tells me that a great many people have cars that are too small for them and get in and out of such a car everyday when they would have no intention of walking around in shoes that were too small.

Oh dear, I meant to ask a simple question about superminis but seem to have got distracted.

I would be interested to hear thoughts and views on such cars and how practical or impractical they actually are.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Alby Back
Good point Tawse. The same thought had occured to me. I am not especially tall. 6' if I stand up straight. Even I have to crouch a bit in some small cars. I like to set the seat in a car so that my eyes are roughly in line with the middle of the windscreen. In most modern cars with seat height adjustment this is fairly easily achieved. Often though, small cars are bought in base trim where seat height adjustment is not fitted.

I have a friend who is 6'5" and he has to be very careful with his car choice for this very reason. I suppose it is quite a tough design brief in the first place though when you consider the diversity of adult human body sizes and shapes.

Anyone remember that Jasper Carrott sketch where he describes Hong Kong Taxi drivers where the only visual clue that there is a driver in the oncoming cab is the sight of the hands showing on top of the wheel ?

;-)
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - welshlad
im 5.9 and a gnats whisker, i have owned smaller cars for a long time i have an '08 colt now which although its classed as a small car i would consider it to be a medium sized car but anyone taller then me would have a problem i have only about 2 inchs headroom when seated with the seat at its lowest position so anyone 6' foot plus would consider it cramped.

my previous small car a rover 111 whilst being smaller then my present car seemed to give alot more in the way of headroom so i think that there must have been a shift in the design sector towards style rather then ease of use
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Bill Payer
i have an '08 colt now which although its classed as a small car i
would consider it to be a medium sized car but anyone taller then me would
have a problem i have only about 2 inchs headroom when seated with the seat
at its lowest position so anyone 6' foot plus would consider it cramped.

Yours is a convertible though, isn't it? We have a Colt (5dr) and I'm 6ft exactly and I notice if the seat has dropped and needs pumping up. With the seat in its lowest position I could probably wear a top hat in the car.
My osteopath friend tells me that he sees loads of problems associated with people's cars - backs, neck, kees, hips, the whole works. Even breathing problems, such as asthma, apparently can also be caused or aggravated by this and also people who begin to 'droop' or stoop forward simply because they have chosen a car that is too small for them in the cabin.

I find it incredible that I cannot fit into a moderm small family hatch and no matter how much I move the seat back, lower and tilt it and alter the steering wheel. I have had loads of tall and not so tall people who rubbish me when I say such things and then they proceed to show me how they fit into a Focus, Golf or an Auris or whatever... and watching them try to get in is just painful and then you look at them proudly sat, cramped, in the driver's seat proclaiming that they are comfortable when, clearly from their posture, they ain't. It is almost as if they treat it as a challenge.

It really annoys me that all the UK car websites and mags who do reviews never - NEVER - make mention of what the car is like for tall people. I can only assume that all car reviewers are tiny tiny people like Ken Dodd's Diddy Men as the reviewers rave on about the car's interior, etc, and occasionally say how roomy it is, and when someone of my height goes to check it out my head is either touching, or almost touching, the roof and/or my thighs are jammed up underneath the steering wheel.

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall but, compared to many teenagers and early 20s, I am something of a shorty as people are getting taller. It is madness that car reviewers do not say something about this and kick the manufacturers up the backside.

So when it comes to the likes of a Yaris, Micra or whatever - yes, they are lovely cars and cheap to run - but of virtually no use to people like myself. Ironically, it now looks like tall people, who have to buy bigger cars, are going to be taxed for their height under the new car tax rules.

I am amazed that no car manufacturer is making a smal but tall car.

p.s.

Don't get me started about the Prius - who on earth makes a 20K car these days without an extendable steering wheel. Plus the Prius seats are so low it is a serious issue getting in and out of that car healthwise IMPO and I noticed that on US car forums now numerous Prius owners are complaining that the car has given bad backs and such-like.

Interestingly, I read a few reviews of the Focus on US car review sites and they do comment that it is not a car for tall people - seems that comfort and health is a priority for US car reviewers!
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - stunorthants26
Im so glad im short!

Just a note - small cars and safety - small doesnt mean unsafe - look at NCAP ratings.
My Daihatsu gets a higher rating than cars far bigger and a 5-star supermini is going to become the norm Im sure.

Funny that nobody can find a small car that is ok for a 6ft+ driver - I knew Reliant Rialto owners who were over 6ft easily who didnt have trouble. You would have to try every model on sale before deciding that none fit.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - jase1
As to the safety question, yes small cars are indeed less safe than larger ones.

Auto Express recently smashed a Fiat 500 -- a city car with a 5-star NCAP rating, into a large 4x4 with a 4-star report.

Result -- 4-star car pretty much intact, 500 an utter mess.

Anyone who looks at the NCAP rating and thinks they're safe is doing themselves no favours. Give me the extra metal any day.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Avant
It depends on the shape of the car. You'd have to be very tall not to fit comfortably into a Ford Ka, and this clearly goes for the Colt as well (BP's post above).

The other problem is that 'small car' often means 'basic specification', so that the seats don't adjust as much as in something more expensive and better equipped.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Screwloose

Cars are only made for the [local?] 95th percentile. Any lankier ones can go hang as far as manufacturers are concerned.

Size isn't everything. In my younger [pre RA] days; I could fold my then 6' 6, 20+ stone frame into a Mini van; latterly, a Metro turbo was quite acceptable - those huge doors being very welcome. [Reaching them, with the seat right back, was something else...]

As I have to drive all sorts of cars; some are atrocious. I've often had to drive Italian and Jap models with my head bent sideways - plays havoc with your depth perception - and I'm never, ever, putting my size 13 boots into a Sprog-eyed Fright again, even with the top down....

Now I'm an old cripple, getting in and out of most conventional cars is agony. The high seating of a 4x4 is bliss: just swivel and stand; no searing pain from trying to pivot a destroyed hip-joint outwards and upwards. [A solution now being denied by disabled-hating Darling.]
Not sure if the latest generation ones are similarly equipped but my older brother bought a Mk 1 Galaxy at one time because the driver's and front passenger seats swivel. I think the original intention of the design was to allow them to turn to face the rear seats when parked to create a more social seating arrangement.

He has dodgy hips and found the combination of this swivel feature with an auto box and the raised seating position ideal. All this without the tax downsides of some vehicles.

Sorry Tawse for straying off topic but thought it might be useful info. for some.
Just found this interesting site for UK tall people - they get tall people to review cars and they have a good search engine. Doesn't go into the stuff about ride, handling and all that but simply focuses on whether a car is suitable for a tall person.

www.tallclub.co.uk/reviews/index.asp?action=search...1

Vewry interesting, Tawse - so the Ka's headroom isn't enough as there are other snags. A quick look suggests that the Mini is a better bet than you'd think - it's also pretty safe.
I am amazed that some people on that site, much taller than I, say that the mini is fine when, from my own experience, I found that I needed one for each foot.

I think it depends on 'where' you are tall - in the body or in the legs. I am long in the legs.

There is a review from a chap on there, I think he is 6' 8", and he says the Corolla is fine... and then mentions he has to push the seat back all the way... which kind of defeats the point. I am pleased that some praise the Verso on there. Alas, I missed out on a good 1 year old T3 for 11K a week ago. Oh well.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - FotheringtonThomas
There is a review from a chap on (tallpeople) I think he is 6' 8"
and he says the Corolla is fine... and then mentions he has to push the
seat back all the way... which kind of defeats the point.

Hang on a minute - why does this "defeat the point"? He fits!
Just found this interesting site

Oooh! Ta.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Clanger
I'm 6'2", 15 stone and have headroom to spare in Mrs H's Citroen C3. My son is 6'3" 12 stone and is comfortable in his Citroen AX. He hates the C3 seats though. Make of that what you will.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - barney100
Years ago a mate of mine who is well over six feet tall had Fiat 5oos-the topolino-he got the seat right back and it assumed tardis like characteristics swallowing him and his trombone and the rest of his gear. My Panda which in comparison was quite large didn't do the job half as well so it seems there are small cars and small cars.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - daveyjp
The smart has plenty of room for tall drivers.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - astrabob
The so called 'packaging efficiency' of modern cars is a lot worse than cars of 20 years ago or so. I was recently in a 1989 Ford Fiesta, and was amazed how roomy it was inside, yet it was tiny on the outside. It also had brilliant visibility, because the pillars were so slim.

Modern cars simply have a lot more metal (and air) between the occupants and the outside world. Good for safety in a crash, but not so good for roominess.

As far as the NCAP star ratings go, they can only be used to compare cars of similar size. So for example, a 4 star large car in collision with a 5 star small car will protect the occupants better.

Are small cars impractical for tall people? - rtj70
"Just a note - small cars and safety - small doesnt mean unsafe - look at NCAP ratings."

Can we all be clear that an NCAP rating is only comparable in a given class. A super-mini NCAP 5 is not comparable or as safe as a 4x4/SUV NCAP 4. The ratings are for use to compare in class. And that's it.

Would I prefer to have an accident in an NCAP 4 star Smart ForTwo or a 4 star Land Rover Discovery. I rest my case. Physics comes into all of this which is why the ratings can only be compared in class.

Would not want to meet a Range Rover in a Seicento or Charade !

Are small cars impractical for tall people? - L'escargot
Obviously if you are tall or portly you have to buy cars which are big enough to accomodate your size. On the other hand some people will only buy small cars because they feel intimidated by large cars. As far as manufacturers are concerned there is a market for all sorts of cars ~ small, large, cheap, expensive ~ and they try to cater for all the different requirements. But by catering for different requirements of the motoring public with different models it's inevitable that they will never be able to produce one model which will suit everyone.
all the talk is about going gree downsizing cars to save on fuel tax and so on

You could have a big economical car - it just wouldn't be a "performance" one, though.

Are small cars (...) totally impractical for a tall people? Are they bad for the health
of those who are tall (...) ?

It depends on the design. Few people get in and out of their cars more than a few times a day. Tall people ought to be fairly easily catered for, see below.

or even overweight?

Well, that's a big problem in itself. Very fat people have far worse health issues than getting in and out of a car.

Are smaller cars more at risk of injury to the occupants in a car on car collision?

That depends to a very large extent on what sort of collision you choose to have.

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall am single have no family but I surf
so have need to carry a surfboard on the roof of my car

Is there no "small" car that can carry a board on some sort of roof rack like this (possible manufacturer improvement)?

I have no real need for a 'big car' other than that occasional trip to
the airport with luggage in the back

You'd have to have a mighty lot of luggage for it not to fit in the car or on roof rack of some sort!

a or a visit every now and then to a DIY shed.

Hm. I think that you can fit really quite a lot in a small trailer. I know that there are disadvantages to them, but again, storage issues, for instance, one of the "hard" issues, might be alleviated by design.

I expect apart from being easier to park and cheap to run there would be serious
downsides in being to transport anything 'big' if I ever needed to...

"If I ever needed to" - so you haven't needed to, yet!

Or maybe car makers just don't think of tall people when they design and build
cars?

Remember, the average height for a UK male is 5' 9". Your 6'2" is therefore balanced by someone who is 5' 4".

a strain on back thighs and knees when you get in and out (compared to) walking
around in shoes that were too small.

Yes, but the very vast majority of people do not spend their days continually getting in and out of their cars!

Oh dear I meant to ask a simple question about superminis but seem to have
got distracted.

Just wait until this thread branches into an unmanageable confusion of mis-readings and assumed intent!

I would be interested to hear thoughts and views on such cars and how practical
or impractical they actually are.

I should think that small cars are far more practical than most of us would want to think... especially should a few features be added by manufacturers.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 14/08/2008 at 22:49

Are small cars impractical for tall people? - doctorchris
I used to view myself as being tall at a fraction over 6ft but now feel pretty much average.
In terms of cars, the turning point was when I did not need to automatically move the seat right back as far as it would go when I got into any car.
I now drive the current Panda and even in that the seat does not need to go right back. The driving position is great and as I have the 4x4 version it is easy to get into as I don't need to drop down into it.
For carrying items, I downsized to the Panda from a long wheel base Nissan Terrano 2 and have not missed the bigger car as I can put longer items onto the roofbars. OK, I can only seat 4 rather than 7 including the driver but these days I'm usually on my own in the car anyhow (Chris no mates).
I used to view myself as being tall at a fraction over 6ft but now
feel pretty much average.

In the nineteen hundreds the average height of male members of the marines was 5'6"!
That's an astonishing dimension for a male member!
Wash your mouth out, doctorchris ;-)
Brilliant Chris ! Can't see the keyboard properly for tears !...............

;-))))))
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - CGNorwich
Interesting to consider how average height in the domestic market affects the design. Japanese average male height is around 5'4" - Germans are on average 5'10" Swedes 5'11"

If you are tall buy a Volvo!
I can't stand this, moving from male members to the volvo (once the favoured car of gynaecologists)!
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - NowWheels
the volvo (once the favoured car of gynaecologists)!

So that's what it was! I thought that the implement used was called a speculum, until Ben Elton said it was a Ford Cortina. Turns out it was a Volvo ...
I've always wondered how the name Volvo was given to a make of car (Latin for 'I roll') - maybe we're getting near to an explanation.....:)
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Lud
Small cars are not impractical for tall people provided they are normally proportioned (I know someone who is tall with short legs, and he has headroom problems in some cars). But they might be for very bulky or fat people.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Stuartli
I'm 6ft and there are few cars I haven't been able to find a comfortable driving position, whatever its size.

In fact there's plenty of headroom and leg room in the front of my VW Bora, which isn't all that different in these respects to my best mate's recently departed Mondeo or his brand new Mondeo Ghia.

In the back, however, it's a different story...:-)
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - carl_a
I'd say most cars are badly designed for tall people, not only in terms of leg or head room but foot room too. Cars such as the Ford Fiesta offer great legroom and headroom but they design a peddle box with no room for a foot rest or to place a left leg anywhere, the seat belt also doesn't go high enough. Other manufactuers design seats that just don't go back very far, case in point the Honda Jazz.

It's actually the C size car, Auris, civic, focus, C4, Golf, Cee'd where I find it most disappointing, I know there is more room in a Colt in the cabin than a Golf. Indeed the Colt is far and away the best tall persons car on the market for the combination of legroom, headroom, great pendle box spacing and still achieving wonderful MPG.

Edited by carl_a on 15/08/2008 at 01:51

Are small cars impractical for tall people? - DP
I'm 6' 2" and have owned various small cars including a Peugeot 106, a couple of Fiestas (mkIV and V), a mk3 Polo and an original Mini. Of that list, the only one I can identify as being remotely uncomfortable, and then only remotely, was the 106 due to its cramped / offset pedal box. Otherwise, it was fine.

The Mini still stands out as a work of genius in terms of packaging. So much room in the front for such a dinky car.

Cheers
DP
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - b308
I notice many people complain about bad backs and other ailments caused by their car... but how many actually take the time to fully adjust their driving position to one that suits their build? Next time you are out just take a look at the strange positions many people take when driving a car... If I was that doctor mentioned earlier I'd take them out side to their car and see how badly adjusted their driving seat was and then get them to read the manual...

BTW I'm 6' and there's only been one car I've not been able to get comfortable in - I can't remember its name, but it dated from the 60s and the seat wouldn't go back far enough...

Going back to the OP, I hardly think that having to carry a full sized surf board is typical of the general public... I'd regard that as an "exceptional load"! ;-)
Spot-on comment about setting the driving position up properly to avoid discomfort and in the long term chronic aches and pains.
I have noticed a similar inability of people to set up a bicycle properly for comfort and optimum efficiency. Admittedly, this is harder to do as there are more variables involved and altering them involves some spanner work but is well worth it in the end.
It surprises me that motorcycles often allow no adjustment of any of their fittings or, at best, a varaible seat height.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - jase1
"It's actually the C size car, Auris, civic, focus, C4, Golf, Cee'd where I find it most disappointing, I know there is more room in a Colt in the cabin than a Golf. Indeed the Colt is far and away the best tall persons car on the market for the combination of legroom, headroom, great pendle box spacing and still achieving wonderful MPG."

It's funny you should mention that -- I've had horrendous problems with Astras, Focuses and our old Nissan Sunny with cabin space. With the Sunny there was plenty of space once I was in, but the steering wheel wouldn't go high enough and I had to rub my knee against it every time I clambered in. The Astra and Focus (both previous models) were fine on that score, but the seat could have gone back further and the width of the footwell could have been a lot better -- I constantly found myself banging my left knee against the centre console (which was made of hard plastic -- forget the upper dash, this is where they should be putting the rubberised edges!!!).

Surprisingly, the Korean cars (Hyundai Accent and Daewoo Nubira) have no such problems in this area. Plenty of space and the steering wheel goes up sufficiently. The Accent in particular was a surprisingly spacious car -- better than the Primera I have now (which is still a little bit cramped for me).

As for small cars, they're all a bit squashed, but the worst of the lot has to be the 1600cc auto 1999 Clio model my dad has. I can barely fit into the passenger side without hitting my legs against the wheely-bin grade plastic dashboard. The driver's side -- forget it. Horrible.

In the back I have problems as well. Surprisingly the worst car I had for this was the old Cavalier (and Vectra after that). While these were spacious in the front, the back had terrible headroom and I found myself having to sit diagonally to avoid hitting my head on the roof.

I'm 6'1", 18-stone but have longer than usual legs as you've probably gathered....

Edited by jase1 on 15/08/2008 at 13:37

Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Cliff Pope
I've always wondered how the name Volvo was given to a make of car (Latin
for 'I roll') - maybe we're getting near to an explanation.....:)

Because Volvo made ball bearings before they started making cars.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - mike hannon
It's all down to individuals' dimensions, isn't it? Some people have long legs and short bodies, others long bodies and shorter legs.
I am 6ft 1in and 15 stone, my son is 6ft 6in and 14 stone - he fits in some cars I can't sit in and vice versa. For more than 10 years he has driven and latterly hill-climbed a Pug 205 GTI that fits him fine while I can't get near it.
What I don't understand is why people of all sizes buy cars like Berlingos and Kangoos that have masses of completely useless space above head level, enclosed by square feet of wasted metal that costs more to lug around, not to mention the extended carbon footprint blah blah zzzzz
Or the stupid names, come to that.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Dog
My Brother is 6ft 3ins ... he's had back trouble most of his adult life, it got so bad he had to have 2 vertebrae fused together.
He now drives a Vauxhall Agila which, although a small car, is a tall car ... personally, I can't stand small cars - I just don't feel safe in one, I'm 6ft and can just about live with the Almera but felt more comfortable in my previous Focus ... I'd get the Nissan Cashcow next time = high ride.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - redviper
Im 6'3" and the last small car i drove was a nissan Micra and I could not sit confrtable no matter how hard i tried the steering wheel dug into my thighs no matter what setting i tried - i drive a Astra and I find that as small as i feel i can comfortably sit in, and even then the seat is as far back as it will go, and the steering wheel set as high as it can.

I like big cars, and I like the way i feel as i have space without the impresion of my knees up above my ears when im sat in it.

Maybe im wrong but i feel that larger cars have better standards of interiors i just like them much more
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - TheOilBurner
I agree with you totally on that. I'm only 5'9" and still prefer bigger cars for their space and comfort. Anything smaller than an Astra is very much compromised for most guys and taller women, IMO.

Even with average size 9 feet I often find the pedal box on smaller cars unusable. I remember driving a Pug 206 and finding that every time I pressed the clutch I couldn't help but hit the brakes with the edge of my left foot at the same time! Naturally Mrs Oilburner didn't have such a problem with dainty ladies feet.
The eve-widening central consoles are also a nuisance for tall long-legged people as you find that the left thigh or knee sits uncomfrotable on it.

The current Golf is a good example of this as it has, for reasons unknown, a plastic diagonal bar on either side of the centre console which simply gets in the way of the left leg and makes the cabin more cramped than it needs to be. It is not there in the Golf Plus and the freedom of leg movement is hugely different. Just seems to a be design flaw in so many cars these days.

Also, the ever growing steering wheel with knobs and sticks are no good for tall long-legged people either. The Ford Focus has a wide plastic lever control on the left hand side of the steering wheel which simply digs into my legs no matter how much I raise and extend the steering wheel and lower/push back the seat.

Similarly, in the new Ford Mondeo the area around the steering wheel is so wide that I have to sit in a very uncomfortable bow-legged - almost as if I am about to give birth or am a woman who is about to have a bloke make love to me in the missionary position - that I honestly think that they had no 6 foot plus people in consideration when they designed it let alone to test it.

Car reviews that tell me that the car has a firm or soft ride, or does X MPG or rolls around corners are of no use is they make no allowance for how the car feels for people of ALL heights.

I just read a Whatcar review of a few cars and they comment on how spacious they are inside - I have been in the same cars and they ain't spacious if you are tall so I can only assume that Whatcar gets its reviewers from the Land of Oz!

Edited by Webmaster on 15/08/2008 at 23:54

For anyone who has taken the time to learn to park properly and is not running their car on a shoestring budget there seems little advantage in a small car for even an average framed person. Medium and larger cars just do more things. They are often more comfortable, can sometimes carry more people and certainly more stuff and are much safer. Unless you regularly have to park in a space restricted position small cars are often false economy.

In my possibly bigoted and pompous opinion that is.

;-)
Small cars are at an advantage in dense urban environments, being able to fit through and park in spaces that give others pause. And with one or two passengers the norm, there is an economy advantage not to be sneezed at. Hence the so-called 'classless appeal' of the Mini when it first appeared in the fifties.

However the appalling speed bump has arrived to redress the balance. Big cars are more comfortable over those. But they are more difficult to thread rapidly through the scuffed steel bollards placed at the ends of many streets to keep big lorries out. What one needs is something no bigger than an Auris or Focus with desert-rally style suspension. Failing that, small rather than big. You have to see London these days to realise what a genuinely malevolent administration can do to torpedo traffic flow. Makes you want to cry.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Mookfish
@Lud

I agree wih the principle that small cars can get through smaller gaps, but most people who buy ford ka's round here seem to do so because they can't handle a large car, see many ka's (and some other small cars, but mostly ka's) stop because they can't get through a gap when in reality a transit would fit through.

Back on topic, I am 6 foot 4, and have never had trouble getting into the front of any car as long as the seat is all the way back, the only exception being my brothers mini that had the stearing column lowered, I could get to the accellorator and clutch but not the brake.

The main impact my height has on choice of car is on seat design, I find the seats on older fords and vauxhalls to be murder on my back if there's no adjustment, not much better with adjustment. The newer ones are not so bad, recent corsa for example.

Volvo, Saab, Merc, Lexus, Renault are all cars I have found to have good seats for me (not the Volvo 340 though)
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Paddler Ed
I've got a V70 Classic that I don't need the seat all the way back in, in fact it needs to be quite a few clicks forwards. I'm 6'4" (and am the shortest in my team at work) and find that I have the seat even further forwards than my colleagues when driving one of the work Transits.

My GF uses my car every so often, and is only 5', and doesn't even have the seat all the way forwards, just lifts the seat base up.

Otherwise it's all good as a car.

I learnt to drive in a Nissan Micra, the bubbly one, which was a bit comedy but it wasn't uncomfortable

I'd agree with the comment on the Smart; I tried one for size a couple of years ago and it was pretty good.
mostly ka's) stop
because they can't get through a gap when in reality a transit would fit through.

Heh heh, tell me about it.

I'm not even considering mainstream rubbish drivers, or cars come to that. Nothing except a zero price tag would induce me to buy a Kaka.

A Transit is a compact vehicle with a good driving position.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Clk Sec
As a tall person I tend to avoid any car with a sunshine roof. I remember having a test drive in a new Peugeot 405 back in the 80?s with such a roof, and the headroom was abysmal.

Two cars I have found to be most comfortable are my existing Mazda6 (last model) and a Chrysler 180 I owned in the late 70?s.

Clk Sec
Many moons ago, What Car? magazine published a booklet entitled "Does your car seat fit you? ~ A guide to car seat comfort" I don't know whether it's still available.

If you're really serious about researching car comfort, there's a wealth of information available at www.car-seat-data.co.uk ~ tinyurl.com/5brx56

Edited by L'escargot on 16/08/2008 at 08:36

Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Dog
It would have been in the Summer of 1968, my friend Phil and I were on a No.12 bus enroute to The West End (of London) for the procurement of some herbs, Phil was a 6 footer, the same as I but, as we sat there on the omibus, I noticed that his knees were somewhat higher than mine so, from that I would ascertain that he would require to have his car seatback further from the pedals than would I.
Are small cars impractical for tall people? - Pugugly
I have a colleague who is around 6 foot 5. He's well built as well. One of the amusements at the office when he turned up for work in his wife's Mini (original version) - more wore it than drove it.