03 diesel - Smell of "burning" - mikeweathers
Zafira Diesel
When leaving the car, a friend reports a "burning" smell

The Vauxhall dealer suggested the particulate filter is cleaning itself.........
can this be confirmed/denied by anyone?

{1.8 removed from header, as I'm 99% sure there wasn't a 1.8 diesel}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/08/2008 at 14:20

03 diesel - Smell of "burning" - bimmer-driver
The Vauxhall dealer should really know whether or not an 03 Zafira would have a particulate filter... 99% sure they didn't fit them.
03 diesel - Smell of "burning" - Screwloose

Zafira B are suffering from DPF nightmares and some have had to be bought back as mis-sold; but I've not seen a DPF on a Zafira A.

Full vehicle details and engine code needed.
03 diesel - Smell of - oilrag
Screwloose,

Would the "mis-sold" refer to DPF vehicles bought for city and short trip use?

I`m curious because when we have to replace one of our current diesel`s that`s the situation we could be in.

It seems nuts to buy a diesel for its outstanding cold - multi-stop-start economy only to have to find a Motorway every couple of weeks and drive it just for the sake of it, at speed to re-generate the DPF.

yet you can`t buy a petrol car for that (SWMBO`s community work) use as its fuel consumption on constant cold running enrichment is atrocious. (we tried it)

Have I got the right take on the situation re DPF diesels?

Edited by oilrag on 13/08/2008 at 15:00

03 diesel - Smell of - Screwloose
oilrag

You've got it pretty much right. On a lot of manufacturer's cars DPFs are causing insuperable problems - even with totally barmy redefinitions of the re-gen parameters.

Panic bail-outs at urban traffic lights, due to clouds of smoke and burning odours from the tarmac, are not unknown. Manufacturers won't learn that you just can't re-gen in towns; changing the parameters to cause re-gen at 30 is easy - but pointless.

You can't buy a DPF car for short runs only - just won't work. Beware the "real" fuel consumption of the Euro 4 cars - I'm snowed under with non-faults on them causing repeated driver complaints of excessive consumption.

I'm thinking of having a dash sticker printed:-

"There's nothing wrong with it; it's just an EU4 car; the MPG will be awful - life ain't fair, get over it."
03 diesel - Smell of "burning" - SpamCan61 {P}
Was there ever a UK Zafira A diesel other than the Y20DTH? I can't think of one.
03 diesel - Smell of "burning" - Screwloose
SC

They did fit the Y17, X20 and even the Y22 in some versions.