05 2.5 Noise inside the roof lining? - Turtle1966
Has anyone got any help or advice they can offer me with this strange problem?

Today, whilst driving at speed, a noise started above my head which at first sounded like hail stones periodically hitting the roof. Then it became more persistent, but only at speed.

By the time I got home, it was clear that it sounds like a cable loom flapping about between the roof lining and the roof.

Does anyone know anything of this? Is there an easy way to remedy this? How does the roof lining come down?

I don't want to poke about too much in there, as i am assuming the cables will feed the side airbags etc..??

Also, why would this "flapping" only happen at speed? How would there be so much airflow inside this area? Is this a fault?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
05 2.5 Noise inside the roof lining? - herrbohnen
perhaps you have mice? ;-) , if you remove the thing that holds the sunglasses and use a mirror and torch to try and see whats happening, I doubt there's anything flapping around in there as there's no wind. How about the roof aerial?

Edited by herrbohnen on 12/08/2008 at 09:54

05 2.5 Noise inside the roof lining? - Turtle1966
mice did cross my mind!

at first, when i realised there were no hail stones, i thought it sounded like something had become wrapped around the aerial and was flapping against the top of the roof.

it really is quite an odd one.

i'll see what I can find with the central overhead console..

thanks!
05 2.5 Noise inside the roof lining? - ex-Triumph man
Just a thought, but does your car have a sun-roof? If so could it be something to do with the sun-roof drain tubes? Failing that a harness having come untaped?
Headlinings these days tend to be in one piece and not the headache of a job they used to be which usually ended up with at least the windscreen having to be removed. If the headlining does have to come down, things like grab handles and any obvious edge clips will have to come down first then see how you go from there.