She's finally using a drop... - ifithelps
...of oil.

Did a forecourt service on the Focus today and the dipstick is showing a drop for the first time.

It's a 2002 1.8Tdci with about 80k on the clock.

Don't think it will need a top-up before the next service and I realise VW/Audi owners will scoff at this level of consumption.

It's just that when you're used to a properly engineered product that doesn't use any oil....
She's finally using a drop... - cheddar
My 129k mile Mondeo TDCi isnt uisng oil between services, it was a couple of mm over the max mark after the last service at 123k and is still slightly over the max mark.
She's finally using a drop... - Dog
To say an engine doesn't use any oil because the level stays the same isn't entirely gospel, as oil holds contaminants in suspension so it should really increase the level.
Yes, and add to that a couple of pints of coolant from the blown head gasket.:)

Seriously, I would say a modern engine should not need topping up between services.
She's finally using a drop... - Mapmaker
If your petrol/diesel leaks into the oil it will keep it topped up, but the oil will lose its lubricity. I'd much rather pour a litre in every 1,000 miles than never. Means the oil gets changed twice every 6,000 miles, not once.
I'd much rather pour a litre in every 1 000 miles than never. Means the oil gets changed twice every 6 000 miles not once. >>

Aah, the VW/Audi argument:

'Your £25k car smokes and drinks oil, but trust us, it's actually a good thing.'

'Oval bores? Dunno what you're talking about, mate.'
She's finally using a drop... - Paddler Ed
My V70 with 198k on it is using oil; but that's because there is an engine seal that has died a death and is automatically changing the oil for me. As I keep piling the mileage on, the oil consumption isn't too bad (about 4 litres between services) which works out at about a litre every 3,000 miles. Just means that I have an automatic oil change a la VAG products