1997 1.9TD Terrible Starter - gary923
Car : 1997 Peugeot 306 D-Turbo.

Hello there, I have owned this car for around 8 months and of late has become terrible at starting. It wasn't the best at starting when I first bought it but replacement glow plugs cured this.

Now confession time........approximately four months ago I started using veggie oil (around 5/6 litres per tankful) and the car continued to run normally. About two months ago though and hearing that Lucas fuel pumps don't like the stuff, I quickly ditched the veggie oil idea.

The problem I seem to be now having though is that the car is taking longer than it should to fire up. The fuel filter was changed a month ago which has made no difference.

I thought that it might be an injector problem so I have used some Redex Diesel injector cleaner additive. This was half a tank ago but no improvement has been seen.

Regards,

Gary.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/08/2008 at 00:36

1997 1.9 Terrible Starter - Peter.N.
Try pumping the primer until it is hard before you try to start it, if that works, you have an air leak somewhere. Failing that, connect a volt meter between any of the glow plugs and earth and check that you have about 10 or 11 volts for 20 seconds or so after turning the ingnition on.
1997 1.9 Terrible Starter - gary923
Thanks for that Peter. I have already tried pumping the primer but doesn't make any difference. I'll get hold of a tester and check the glow plugs.
1997 1.9 Terrible Starter - dieselhead
IF it checks out ok for glow plugs and air leaks i would get the injectors cleaned and set up - from experience it makes a big difference to starting on these.
Just a quick update. Havn't had time to test the plugs yet but have been out in the car tonight and on three occasions the engine has not fired until about 30-40 secs of constant turning over. One thing I have noticed is that previously when the glow plug light has gone out on the dashboard, there is usually a clicking noise from the internal relay/fusebox area.

The light comes on as normal and extinguishes after the usual 7-8 seconds, but there is no clicking sound.

Just wondered if this is linked to the problem, and whether a dodgy relay might be the problem.

Regards,

Gary.
1997 1.9 Terrible Starter - RichardW
First check you have 12V on the plugs when you switch on - this will give you a hint of whether this is a plug problem or relay problem. The light should go out after 7-8s, the relay should take longer to drop out, maybe 30s.

What plugs were fitted? Anything other than Beru is a waste of time in these engines - they just destroy them.

Edited by RichardW on 11/08/2008 at 13:38

Thanks for the advice everyone. Took it to a mates garage who tested the plugs and guess what......they were all kaput!

The lucas plugs have been changed for NGK's so i'm hoping that they will last longer than 8 months. I wouldn't care but I live 35 miles from work and the car sees very little short 'stop-start' journeys.

The car now fires up immediately, and i'm a happy motorist once again.

Thanks again,

Regards,

Gary.