98 1.6 cam belt change - cheddar
Hi,

We have had our Clio since nearly new, had the cambelt done by the Renault dealer (Renault Minute dept) 5 years ago (cost £200 inc oil + filter), the dealer has quoted £360 this time and a (reasonably) trusted indy has quoted approx £210 though I am thinking of doing it myself this time around.

£82 parts from Renault, £50 elsewhere, and it is a straight forward job ....

.... however Haynes emphasise the need to use Renault tool Mot.1273 (SEEM C.Tronic 105.6) to check the belt tension. They say "being able to turn the belt through 90deg with thumb and forefinger" as an initial guide before using the tool or taking the car (at low revs) to a dealer for the tension to be checked.

How neccesary is this, I dont recall the Renault minute guy using a tool to check the tension (it was done while I waited) and how many indys would check the tension in this way?

Thanks and regards.
98 1.6 cam belt change - 659FBE
I have never ever seen this tool being used. Do it yourself - carefully.

98 1.6 cam belt change - DP
I have a friend who's been spannering for 30 years, and I asked him the same question - his answer "Load of nonsense, boy! 90 degree twist under firm-ish pressure on the longest run, and you won't go far wrong."

Some of the Ford engines require a tool that taps the belt and then measures the frequency of the vibration to determine tension. For heaven's sake, what's wrong with a pointer on the tensioner??
Thanks both, I have heard of the 90deg tip before, used it on an aux belt IIRC.

Also pretty sure that the average indy would not have a way of measuring the tension.

Was thinking of getting the Renault kit, £82, though I can get a Contitech kit (made by Continental) for about £47.

98 1.6 cam belt change - yorkiebar
Most indys will have access to this sort of tester.

Whether its used or not is different question.

In perspective I wouldnt use it on this type of engine; would be VERY surprised if Renault dealers would either!

Nothing wrong with conti kit; probably same as oe!
In perspective I wouldnt use it on this type of engine; would be VERY surprised
if Renault dealers would either!

Thanks Y,

Why do Haynes put so much emphasis on the need to test the tension then?
98 1.6 cam belt change - 659FBE
Because of the threat of litigation if their "sensible" advice gave rise to a belt failure. If they duplicate the car maker's procedure in their manuals, there can be no comeback.

Job done, fairly straight forward, cambelt tension common sense really.

£67.15 in parts, Conitech cambelt and tensioner kit plus two new aux belts.

Saved a couple of hundred quid !