2005 1.6 Exhaust System Warning Light - Matthew_J_King
Hi.

The Exhaust System Warning Light has lit up. I'm a little suspicious as it's happened at the same time that the automated warning for the next ('Long Life' at ~60,000) service and will be 3 years old soon (i.e. first MOT).

The warning light is NOT flashing and there's is no misfiring so I'm assuming there is no danger of damaging the Cat (which was replaced under warranty in January).

1) Am I safe to wait until the next scheduled service is 1,200 miles/4 weeks?
2) Is there a probability that it's a false warning? e.g. faulty Lambda probe.
3) Can the Warning Light only be reset electronically (garage/dealer) or would it go out if (only) the problem itself is rectified?

I can't think of any related problems with the car. I've had it from 6 months old with 5,000 on the clock and am at 58,889 and nearly 3 years old. Previous service dealer as always and 'Long Life' last October at 41,255 miles.

Cheers,
Matt.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/08/2008 at 11:05

2005 1.6 Exhaust System Warning Light - Screwloose
Matt

There are literally thousands of possible reasons for an emissions[?] light - and only a few have physical symptoms.

There aren't any false warnings - something causes the ECU to put the light on. A faulty "Lambda" probe is not a minor matter - you don't have one anyway. [What's the engine code?]

The fault-code can be cleared with the right equipment - and it will come right back on if the fault is uncorrected.
Thanks Screwloose.

The manual's reason for the warning isn't specific ("reduced quality of the exhaust") but it does mention "e.g. Lambda probe fault". Engine Code is one of the following "BLP HBM", "LC9Z----- J5".

Searching on this site and Google I found references to VAG group cars having problems with; faulty Lambda probes (£30 Halfords, £200 Dealer inc. VAT&Labour) and failed ignition coils, problems with particular fuels, but I'm sure there are plenty other possible causes.

Cheers,
Matt.
2005 1.6 Exhaust System Warning Light - Graemetdci
Why not just get it checked out by a dealer while it is still under warranty - you don't have much time left so I would get it checked soon. At least get the fault logged before the warranty expires as they may not be interesed once it has run out.
2005 1.6 Exhaust System Warning Light - Screwloose
Matt

You wouldn't get far with a £30 Halfords generic oxygen sensor.... These fit a special wide-band mixture sensor.

Do the letters BGU or BAG appear on the label inside the service book cover? Please don't say that this is the dreaded FSi?
2005 1.6 FSI Exhaust System and EPC Warning - Matthew_J_King
Just taken my Golf into my usual Dealer for another (frequent) long-life service, 18days/600 miles before the Warranty runs out. On Monday the Exhaust System light came on (has never flashed) so I booked in (£170 all inclusive) for Friday and confirmed I'd do no damage in the mean time. However, this morning the EPC light came on and I'm sure the car didn't want to accelerate quickly but it seemed fine after I restarted and drove stright (5 miles >40mph) to the Dealer. No misfiring has occured.

I know there "literally thousands" potential causes but;
1) What problems should be covered under Warranty?
2) Does Comprehensive insurance ever cover anything (I've had no collisions to cause any problems)?
3) Have I got a Chain or a Plastic Toothed Belt? I know what I think but get different answers.

Possibles I've heard off for Exhaust include; Ignition Coils, duff fuel, over filling engine oil, Lamda Probe faulty, coked Sparks.
For EPC: check coolant sensor, "loss of power under acceleration:epc throttle fault warning light intermittently on (due to EGR valve problem)", "fault with the fly-by-wire throttle system".

Thanks to Screwloose and Graemetdci for previous help.

Matt.
2005 1.6 FSI Exhaust System and EPC Warning - Screwloose
Matt

[Did this need a separate thread? Would make better sense as part of the original.] {now moved to it - obviously!}

Warranty should cover most normally-arising faults.
Comp insurance not really relevant here.
You have a chain. [FSi 1.6 BAG engine code.]

Guesswork is pointless.

EPC stands for "Electronic Power Control" - the fly-by-wire throttle system.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/08/2008 at 14:22

Whatever it was, the Dealer has phoned to say it's all been done under Warranty. I'll make sure I get my Long Life Guarantee stamp in the Service Book!