auction price for ex-motability Jazz CVT - menu du jour
Anyone have any idea what one of these might sell for?
3 years old, 20,000 miles in good order generally.
Some of the trade retail prices I have seen are about £7000.
Thanks
screwtape
auction price for ex-motability Jazz CVT - mike hannon
Can't help you price-wise Screwtape, but - a word of warning.
Everyone says what great value ex-Motability cars are but, without wishing to say anything politically incorrect, I know from personal experience that some of them have spent their lives being driven very badly...
auction price for ex-motability Jazz CVT - spikeyhead {p}
I had a look round the motorbility section at BCA Bedford on Monday.

All the cars were much more damaged than the ex rep leases that had five times the mileage.
auction price for ex-motability Jazz CVT - pd
Probably around 5700-6250 at the moment for a nice 05 with 20k. There isn't the same sort of margain on small cars so the savings at auction are usually less than with a larger car. Be careful once you take into account the buyers premium, hassle and risk you miight not just do better buying from a dealer.

As for Motorbility I'd agree. Yes you get lower mileages than norm compared with ex-fleet cars and also more small cars but I hate and avoid them as they are often in a terrible condition.
auction price for ex-motability Jazz CVT - andyfr
A colleague at work gets a motability car and if he gets any damage has to have it repaired before returning it so I'm surprised to see all the comments about them being in a bad condition.

Andyfr
auction price for ex-motability Jazz CVT - stackman
I understand that the system Motability use for disposing of their off-fleet vehicles has changed in recent times. Previously nearly all vehicles coming in would go to auction. Now however I understand they have a call-off system for registered dealers to order cars from a web catalogue.

Also the dealers the cars are returned to now have an option to purchase the cars.

Consequently what ends up at auction is the bottom of the barrel stuff, often with lots of minor body damage, stained and broken interiors etc.

Having said that they usually still have full service histories.

As for value for money I purchased this week a 3 year old, 05 reg, Renault Grand Scenic Expression, 1.6VVT with 22k miles and the requisite stamp in the book. There was a minor crease in the nsr wing but the interior was unmarked, if a little dusty. It has seven seats, loads of pockets and cubby holes and it drives very nicely. New it would have cost £15k plus.

I paid £3,527 including the auction premium.

We will keep it for at least 3 years and that sounds like cheap motoring to me.
auction price for ex-motability Jazz CVT - Ben 10
"Consequently what ends up at auction is the bottom of the barrel stuff, often with lots of minor body damage, stained and broken interiors etc."

Some ex motability stock at BCA is very low mileage and in showroom condition. You have to make a few trips to find ones that are immaculate. Three years ago in a motability sale at Measham I saw online a Ford C-Max with around 400 miles on the clock. I took the trip and had a look. Not a mark inside or out and it was just over a month old. Roughly 18K new (tdci Ghia spec), I got it for 13K. Reason why it was there;the person died a week or so into the contract.
I admit there are some right horrible ones among their stock, but I have bought several low mileage and in my view excellent condition models that have never let me down. Which in turn makes for excellent resale. If you make the effort over a number of weeks at any BCA centre and specifically view the motability sections you will see pearls among the dross.

Remember motability do have sections, which I avoid, that have slightly higher mileage cars with rough around the edges damage.
Some years ago then there was plenty of good, low mileage stuff in the Motability sales. My trade contacts tell me that whereas 80% used to be straight and clean it's more like 80% dented scratched and soiled. My own experience of the last few weeks certainly bears this out.

My dad used to make a good living at his dealership selling ex-motability but the qulaity of what is offered at auction nowadays makes that more and more difficult. The best cars get creamed off before they get to auction but going on my experience that makes some great bargains available if you're not that bothered by a few dings.

In response to the original poster concerning Honda Jazz autos, the BCA auctionview should give an indication of the book prices for the car or he could try the Vauxhall website's Glasses Guide link. Small hatchbacks are making about book price but evrything else seems way below at the moment.
Many thanks to all who have replied.
Seems like the price is going to be easily £6000. Given maintenance issues, the cost of Honda parts and labour.....I do not think I will bother.
Push bike anyone?

stackman - I am disappointed but not surprised that damage to motability cars has got worse.
A sad fact of our times it would seem.
screwtape
auction price for ex-motability Jazz CVT - welshlad
A dealer told me that a good 80% of all the surface damage he has seen on motabillity cars is purposeful vandalism done by others usually by neighbours jealous that the snip has a better car then they have

Edited by Pugugly on 07/08/2008 at 19:39

auction price for ex-motability Jazz CVT - Alan

Most of the motorbility cars I have seen at auction don't have any service history at all and those with any are usually incomplete.( One service in three years .) Several also have bodywork issues but thats less common.
Quite often the service books might not get stamped but there is usually Motabilty's service printout which accompanies the car. This will list all service and unscheduled maintenance on the vehicle.

As for one servce in three years, this isn't unusual. My new Scenic has service intervals of 18,000 miles or every 2 years. Therefore in it's 3 year life it's had just one service at 2 years old and 13k miles.
I had not considered vandalism.
A neighbour had a motability car but considering his disability it was hardly any compensation at all. Nothing to be jealous about.
screwtape