Talk me out of this - Mapmaker
2004 54 Nissan Primera estate SE 2.2 TD, 97k £2,500. Nice condition, save for an ugly stone-dint on the bonnet.

Even I'm getting an itchy wallet with prices this low. That car has lost some 90% of its original list price in 45 months. That's almost £500 per month. A nearly-new car for beer money.

And it apparently runs on SVO...

Glass's gives

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition: £3000
Average condition: £2680
Below average condition: £2360

Downsides:

It does only seem to have been serviced every 15-18k, against recommended 12k - and HJ's recommendation of twice that frequent.

It's also obvious that it will only be worth £1,000 in 12 months' time.

Edited by Mapmaker on 05/08/2008 at 11:52

Talk me out of this - jc2
Wait twelve months then.
Talk me out of this - davidh
There's no reason to spend over 1000 pounds....... :-)
There's no reason to spend over 1000 pounds....... :-)

Who said that? But for a 45-month-old car, maybe there is...
Very high mileage for the year,

That's certainly no reason.
Talk me out of this - MikeTorque
Very high mileage for the year, plus a dent and a poor service record, hence the price. There are better examples out there to choose from.
Talk me out of this - jbif
Very high mileage for the year

Not a negative point unless it has been clocked up in a taxi doing short town runs. If it has been mainly motorway miles or at >40mph, it is in fact the kind of car you want.
a poor service record

That is a perfectly good service record for a high motorway mileage modern car.
hence the price

The price is low because of ill informed consumers who shy away from such perfectly decent "barely run-in" cars.

If Mapmaker was asking about buying a 4 year old used Typhoon jet with a similar history, I would tell him to run a mile [especially as I know many of the Engineers who designed and built the stuff that went in to the Typhoon ].

As it is a dull Nissan/Renault, all I can say to him is "Do you really want one of those, even though it is really such a bargain?"

Get a Mondeo instead.

As it is a dull Nissan/Renault all I can say to him is "Do you
really want one of those even though it is really such a bargain?"

Ow. That hurts; that really hurts. :o

Get a Mondeo instead.

But the Mondeo is nearly twice the price. And it has a common rail engine. eBay 220259456824 - twice the mileage, similar price.
Talk me out of this - Bagpuss
Even I'm getting an itchy wallet with prices this low. That car has lost some
90% of its original list price in 45 months.

That means it retailed new at 25 grand. Wow, no wonder they stopped making it, can't have been a raging success at that price.
Talk me out of this - Gromit {P}
Question: do you need a new car?

If not, there'll be plenty more fish in the sea. If yes, shop around and see what else you'd get in better condition and with sounder service history for similar money. That should decide it for you...
>>Question: do you need a new car?

No. But yes.

I have a '99 Vectra with 66k on the clock, a list of issues, including some expensive servicing long overdue - cambelt etc. It'll make £4-500 on eBay; solving the faults will cost £500+++ following which it'll still make £500 on eBay.

>>Sounder service history for similar money

Very very little of that sort of age. For the first time in my life, I fancy a nearly new car - for beer money.

Edited by Mapmaker on 05/08/2008 at 17:09

Talk me out of this - DavidHM
Three years ago I had a 9 1/2 year old Peugeot 406 with 110k on it. I had had it for 18 months and spent a total of £47 on non-routine servicing. I was pleased with it and a mate needed a car.

I found a six-year-old 406 HDi with 108k in the local paper for £1,650 and sold my car to my mate for £1,200. For £450 I had gone up 3 1/2 years and was getting better mpg - bargain I thought.

Howeve I probably spent somewhere in the region of £500 on that car in the six months that I had it and the air con still wasn't quite right. My mate meanwhile now has a 12 1/2 year old 406 with 160k on it, hasn't serviced or repaired it whatsoever, and it still looks very tidy indeed - it has had literally nothing but tyres and the MOT and has been faultlessly reliable.

Upshot is that a well looked after, older car can be more reliable than an abused, cheap, newer one - irrespective of mileage. For that reason, if you have £2k to spend you'd do better to find something tidy from 2001/2 than a tired and neglected 2004 car even if it is cheap.
Fortunately it has now been sold to somebody else.

Equally, it wasn't a TD at all, it was a Di; so no thanks. Glass's is wrong on this too.

Thing is, DavidHM, I already have a neglected car; the aircon hasn't been worked for 3 years; the cambelt is 27k and 5 years overdue (40k and 4 years is the recommendation); and it needs a major service, plus it misfires slightly (as it has done for 30k miles and 4 years) and no amount of "servicing" will cure it. I cannot face paying the best part of £500 servicing, and I'm beginning to feel dodgy about the cambelt.

(Your mate is surely a fool not to change the oil.)