1998 1.9TD rear suspension problems - xcalibur
Hi, i'm a new member and would really appreciate any help. The problem is the rear suspension. It will go to the lowest setting and the highest setting but not normal ride height. The only way i can get it to stay at normal height is to start from the lowest setting and wait until the rear just starts to rise and then switch to normal but this doesn't always work. When this does work the rear will still slowly drop while driving so really only a short fix anyway. This has only happened in the last few days so i guess it will soon become undriveable. Looking at the threads it looks like it's the ride height adjuster. is this correct. Also it said about spraying WD40 onto the links that work the height adjuster but i've been under the car, looked at the height adjuster and i can't really make head nor tail of it. One thing i did notice though was a white link that is attached to what looks like a ball, but the other end is just hanging down but looks like it should also be connected to a ball, but i can't see where. The other question is i noticed over a period of time that the rear suspension was starting to sink when the car was parked up and got to the point where it was completely bottoming out over night, though strangely not all the time, but i didn't think too much of it as when started the suspension always went back to normal height. I did notice though that for no reason the ride was starting to become firm but on other days was smooth. This doesn't make any sense to me. Phoned the local citroen people and was absolutely horrified by potential cost, so guys i'm going to have to sort this lot out myself but only with your kind help....Sorry ths is a long one but again i really would appreciate any help....Many thanks
1998 1.9TD rear suspension problems - RichardW
Replacing the white link is cheap - however, it sounds like you need a new height corrector as the old one will be seized. An indie should do it for <£200, but it's not too tricky to DIY.

NOTE: Do NOT get under a Xantia and mess with the suspension UNLESS it is properly supported - they can and do drop suddenly and squash people.

Suggest you log onto the forum at frenchcarforum.co.uk for mucho info.
1998 1.9TD rear suspension problems - *Gongfarmer*
The white link was about £4 when mine went a few years ago. Although if it's come off you may be able to push it on for a temporary repair, the height corrector mechanism is vulnerable to collecting road dirt and may well respond to a good clean up.
1998 1.9TD rear suspension problems - xcalibur
Hi, what does the white link do and where do i reconnect the other end to that's just hanging down....Many thanks
1998 1.9TD rear suspension problems - *Gongfarmer*
The lever that has the other ball on has perhaps sprung right around to the limit of its travel on the height correction valve. I have to emphasise earlier comments ref supporting the car when working on this unit.