01 1.6 starts well but then slowly cuts out - hippychick
hi their, i have a vauxhall astra 1.6 16 valve ls. i have had problems in the past with this car but managed to sort it and the last being the egr valve being blanked off a few months ago. but again im having problems. yesterday the car was fine until last nite when it just suddenly died on me. no lights appeared on dashboard beforehand.phoned the rac guy and even he was baffled. no faults appeared on his computer and we also put more petrol in the car, he was thinking the petrol gauge was dodgy. then checked the petrol pump petrol is running fine through system. the car will start no problem, but then has problems keeping idle speed and then just dies. managed to drive the car a wee bit but you really need to rev it up high and try to keep it at that or it will cut out. the same thing happened a few weeks ago, but i managed to limp it home and left it overnight and when i went out to turn it over the next day and it was fine and has been for a few weeks till know. the rac guy seems to think it might be idle control valve?.. any ideas as it is starting to annoy me as i thought my problems were solved when i blanked off the egr valve.

make of car now selected from drop down menu

Edited by Pugugly on 16/01/2009 at 19:05

01 1.6 starts well but then slowly just cuts out - Screwloose

If I could read it; I might be able to answer it.....
01 1.6 starts well but then slowly just cuts out - hippychick
my vauxhall astra had the egr valve blanked off two months ago and the car was fine. then the other night the car gave a splutter and the engine just cut out all together. the engine will start no problem but in order to keep the engine running i have to rev the engine high or it will just cut out. no lights have came on the dashboard. have checked the throttle body and opened it up but its working fine and is clean. also checked the fuel pump to make sure the petrol was getting round the system and that it was working properly and thats okay aswell. the car starts and fires up no problem but then engine just cut out all the time. my apologies to those who couldnt make sense of my last post.
01 1.6 starts well but then slowly just cuts out - piston power
Screwloose means space it out some not all bunched up!
01 1.6 starts well but then slowly just cuts out - topbloke
possible fuel injection tempreture sensor gone faulty/reading temp incorrect, its either leaning the fuel of so weak causeing it to not run or its gone the otherway overfueling, this is the normal way that it fails ,but usually you can't restart the car untill the excess fuel has vaporised, they are cheap and easy to replace wont do any harm and may improve things. they wont flag a fault code either, only way to tell is through live data through a good code reader, only other thought is a partially blocked exhaust, reknowned for the internalls coming out of the rear box or the cat starting to break up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks, I am supposed to be going to replace the middle section and backbox of my exhaust tomorrow, but i didnt think that would be my problem. as i said the car starts and fires up great but it just isnt able to keep ticking over. I will also check out possible temp sensor as well because the car could perform better as it feels a bit sluggish....
if the exhaust is partialy blocked then the symptons fit sluggish and wont idle the exhaust gasses are not flowing freely causeing back pressure like an exhaust brake on trucks etc hope this is your problem time will tell
okay just wanted to let you know that i solved the problem for my astra and believe it or not, vauxhall had blanked off the egr valve but surprise surprise when i was having a nosey in my engine i noticed that even though the egr valve was blanked off it WAS NOT disconnected from the engine. I pulled the wire out and bingo the car started no probs? so a thankyou to those who took the time to reply my thread with information and help.
thanks for the info but a bit still confused behaps i am being a bit thick
01 1.6 misfires and cuts out - hippychick
I have had constant probs. the car starts no problem, fires up well, but so far into my journey the management light comes on and car starts to shudder(misfire) doesnt cut out. struggles on 3 cylinders. i will then restart and it goes, but it lacks power, its as if the rev counter is stuck at 2000revs, then all of a sudden it will shoot off as though it has a new lease of life. so i have had a new egr valve put in. fine for a week then same probs. took it to garage and guy said cylinder 1 was misfiring, so i had a new coil pack and plugs put in and ecu reset. was back a week later, as i was still having probs. cylinder 3 misfir.new plug put in and ecu reset again. took car for really long run and it has been fine for 3 weeks, then lately it has started to lack power, then it started to misfire again, back to garage, was told that it was showing cylinder 4 misfire, but the car had settled, so the ecu was reset again? the only cylinder that hasnt went is2. i also have the engine electronic light coming on but if i turn the ignition off the light goes off. any ideas.