1999 530d A/C cuts out at speed?? - hm
Hi all,

Good to be back.. I have recently moved to Prague with my work so out for a while..

Right, I now currently have a BMW 530d 1999 model... stupidly big car, but I needed car quick and it was cheap from a mate returning from Czech to the UK....

Everything work great but I have an issue with the A/c

It seems to work fine... blows very cold air.. Auto work etc, etc... however sometimes it seems to 'stop' working.. I do not mean the Fan but the actual A/c.. I would say it works 85/90% of the time. It seems to always cut out when I drive at speed (i.e 150kph plus) but that may well just be me.

When it packs up, if I turn the car off, then back on again she seems to work again....

ANY idea's??

oh.. still trying to sell my wife 2001 A4 tdi if anyone's interested.. ended up with a 110% time waster on flea bay :0(..

Cheers

Hayden

Edited by Pugugly on 24/07/2008 at 21:05

1999 530d A/C cuts out at speed?? - Red Baron
And after you have restarted the car and got back up to 150kph plus, does the A/C cut out again?

Is the battery on its way out (or not being fully recharged by the alternator) and certain devices on the car are being disengaged as the fuel pump requires more and more of the battery power as the speed of the car increases. Do you notice that other devices are switching off - the radio for example?

I had a bad earth to the alternator/battery on my car. Everything was fine at about 110kmh, but at 140+kmh, things started to switch off (radio, heater blower, headlights etc.) just so that the fuel pump could keep going. Was fixed by re-establishing a good earth.
1999 530d A/C cuts out at speed?? - hm
Nothing turns off... it is really stange.. today I took her out.. booted it on purpose.. the a/c cut out.. with out turning the engine off I removed the A/c fuses (as if it was a reset) put them back it still did not work. Turn the key off and straight back on again.. all well......||
1999 530d A/C cuts out at speed?? Please Help A/C - hm
Any one??

Could the charge be running low? so when the a/c pump spins faster there's nothing there? I do not know A/c at all...

:0(
1999 530d A/C cuts out at speed?? Please Help A/C - grahamshaw123
There is a component called the final end stage which controls the fan its about 100 euro
I have had 2 e39 530 on both this part failed causing ac fan to intermittently die the part is housed in front of the gearlever accesible from drivers side gear tunnel panel on a rhd car the passenger side on a lhd If you need more info let me know
1999 530d A/C cuts out at speed?? Please Help A/C - hm
Grahamshaw123...

many thanks I will take look tomorrow.. been so busy I have not been on here for while......