Volvo service - mndbaker
Help. I have a 2003 Volvo XC 90 D5 SE Geartronic, which has done 85000 miles. The car went in for a service to a main Volvo dealer 2nd week of June - the car was in perfect working order but needed new tyres, full service, MOT and other incidentals. Having received the car 3 days later and a juicy bill of just over £2000, the car started behaving eratically. Firstly, it took longer to start particularly in the mornings; secondly the engine would cut out while driving - once while over taking and thirdly after a week it would not start at all. The car was booked back in and we were told it needed new glow plugs plus a gas exhaust sensor - costing £650. We paid that as well after being assured it was a coincidence and that we would not have a repeat of the problem. When we got the car back it started behaving in the same way again and within a week it was taken back to the garage after it would not start - we have now been told that the injectors need replacing. The garage has admitted it was wrong in replacing the gas sensor and will deduct the cost of the gas sensor from the replacement cost of the injectors - which will mean we have to contribute £250 to get some Bosch injectors or another £900 which will get the Volvo ones - which I presume are the same - we will pay no labour charges. Is this a fair enough deal or should we insist on them having to sort the problem out and pay for it as its a strange coincidence that the car should be fine before the service and then all these problems occur as soon as they started fiddling with it. So far we have insisted that we will no longer pay any more money for it as a matter of principle and that we want them to sort it out and give the back in perfect working order.
Volvo service - Paul I
Would argue the car went in fine and it was returned with a fault - forget their pitiful excuses they have mucked you car (possibly overfilled with oil or air in the fuel system hence the injector problem)
It should fixed at their cost. Mention that if you?re not happy it?s not coincidence and you give then an opportunity to return the car in its previous condition.

If not you will seek an independent inspection (AA) and instigate a small claims procedure if you sound confident you should see them back down immediately (within a week) also the treat of a letter to Volvo UK/Honest John/What Car about the poor standard of franchise performance would be a good option.
Volvo service - DuncanSuperb
Did you say an MOT/Service/new tyres bill of £2000 ? !! ok, so chunky tyres are going to cost a bit but £2000 service bill for a car that was working fine before going in is monstrous. It sounds like a case of Elk burgers to me i.e. they saw you as an easy source of revenue so don't sweat over trying to pull a fast one with these other issues. I wouldn't pay another penny until you are completely satisfied that the payment you make reflects the service / performance that you are expecting. Good luck.
Volvo service - TheOilBurner
2003 and earlier D5s are known for eating injectors. Therefore the dealer should have spotted that first.

However, I wouldn't blame the dealer for causing the problem, I suspect it was just co-incidence in the timing.

Happily, the new injectors will be a revised design and should be OK now.

Sorry about the dent in your pocket though - that's some serious money to be shelling out for sure.

Speak to Volvo Customer services to see if you can get a contribution for the injectors, they may be happy to contribute up-to 50% if you have full Volvo service history.
Volvo service - gmac
It appears odd that the main dealer decided ALL the injectors required replacing at once when Volvo themselves will only authorise replacement of them one at a time.

I would still ask Volvo for a contribution as the car is fully serviced and you should get something in return for your 2k+ bill.
Volvo service - mndbaker
Thank you for your replies much appreciated. Volvo have informed me they will make no contribution as the car is more than 4 years old. I feel as a matter of principle that the dealer should put it right because the car was fine before the service, its been with them 3 times before the problem was diagnosed properly, the amount of money paid to them so far and finally the inconvenience of not having the car when we needed it for school lift shares - we live in the country and also day trips where we were taking friends etc. On two occassions we have taken two cars so that we dont let people down. For the amount of money they are asking I would have thought they would have no problem putting it right especially as we service our car regularly with them. All very frustrating.....
Volvo service - Martin Wall
Did you write to Volvo UK or just phone? If the latter I would recommend a letter stating that you bought Volvo due to....long-lived, reliable cars, etc. ....disappointed in this case....expected better....state what you expect

Don't say that you'll never buy a Volvo again as then they would have nothing to gain from some goodwill.

Good luck!