00 2.0 Black smoke & EML lit after exhaust broke - Valiantlad
Hi there I have a 406 estate 110HDI, when I was giving the engine the gun the other day there was a loud bang. I stopped and noticed that my back box had departed the centre section and replaced this. I now have excessive black smoke when I put my foot down and an engine light illuminated on the dash. I have investigated further and found that the hose at the lower front nearside has a large split in it. Is this connected to the turbo and is this giving me the problem?

Edited by Pugugly on 12/09/2008 at 17:49

00 2.0 Black smoke & engine light illuminated on d - Dar
The hose sounds like your problem m8ty. The hose is connected to your inter-cooler & runs up to your turbo and under acceleration the hose is under a lot of pressure. First thing first. Renew the pipe and you should notice a difference straight away. You may find it still smokey for a few miles but don't worry as it is just the soot lying in your exhaust. After a few miles of heavy right foot driving it will clear itself.
00 2.0 Black smoke & engine light illuminated on d - Valiantlad
Thanks for the prompt reply, could you also tell me if the illuminated light on the dash will go off automatically or will this need a visit to a Peugeot dealer?
00 2.0 Black smoke & engine light illuminated on d - Dar
If the light has came on due to the blown pipe it should go off once the replacement is fitted. If not your best course of action would be to find a small independent garage to delete the fault codes as they will be a lot cheaper. Approx £10/£20 to turn off the light.
Ok the situation is that the cars been to the garage with my wife and yes the hose is split but Peugeot Uk can't get one until the 7th August. So some further questions(only asking as the wife took the car to the garage)

What is the technical name for this pipe - it's on the front nearside in the engine bay and goes to a connection at the base of the engine and is about 3" across

Will driving with this split damage the engine/turbo

Where can I get a good pattern one

Thanks
00 2.0 Black smoke & engine light illuminated on d - Screwloose

It's called an intercooler hose - there has been a spate of those splitting recently.

Yes; it will damage the engine - the fuelling is all wrong and it will be sucking in dust at idle.

Take it off [deep joy] clean it spotless with detergent; let it dry completely; then accurately tape it with several layers of good-quality insulating tape overlapped one third per turn. You'll need a good few rolls.

Done thoroughly; that trick will work for radiator hoses - this one should be a breeze.
Thank's for that removed the hose last night and cleaned it up then taped with insulation tape and then wrapped with aluminium tape and another wrap of insulation for good measure. Result

Still can't fathom why I can't get a new one until the 7 August though!!

Thanks for your help.
00 2.0 Black smoke & engine light illuminated on d - Whisky
Still can't fathom why I can't get a new one until the 7 August though!!

Usual Pug carp, was told by local dealer after snaping my handbrake cable that there wasn't one in the country and it would be a month. So what? I'm supposed to drive around illegally for a month. On passing the pug dealer in chesterfield I'd thought I'd see if the story matched up. Low and behold the lad turned around and took one of six from the shelf. I know where I get my parts from now, even if it does involve a journey.
OK chaps.... 21 July and the turbo intercooler hose pops...part on back order due on the 7 August. Lo and behold there is still none in the country I've even tried the mother in law in france - none there either. Anyone got any ideas??????????????
00 2.0 Black smoke & engine light illuminated on d - Screwloose

Tried Samco?
00 2.0 Black smoke & engine light illuminated on d - Armitage Shanks {p}
Or car parts direct, featured under HJ's Jazz video, or GSF parts. Have you tried ringing round Pug dealers, with the part number; there can't really be zero stock in the whole of the UK - or can there?
00 2.0 Black smoke & engine light illuminated on d - Andrew-T
If the supply situation is genuinely as described, have all the Pug 406s at scrappers been stripped of this hose as well?

I have never found difficulty getting parts at one of my nearest Pug dealers - they will usually order it ASAP, or offer a discount for delivery next Friday. But I have had difficulty in July (when France is on holiday) for things like a new wing or a shock-absorber for a cabrio.
Hose finally arrived on the 27 November, I've not fitted it as the one I bodge repaired is working fine!!
00 2.0 Black smoke & engine light illuminated on d - Armitage Shanks {p}
3 1/2months and still working! That's a fix not a bodge -:)