Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - melstin
Does anyone own a Fiesta Ghia 1.6? If so, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I could buy a 2005 5-door model with 25k miles from a Ford dealer for some £5.5K. Would that be a good deal and how much discount could I ask?

I've tried my local very large supermarket here in West London, but most of their vehicles have too much body damage, for the money they are asking.
Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - Blue {P}
I used to drive a Fusion 1.6 (the same car but on steroids) and I have to say that it was very, very nippy. I should imagine that the Fiesta version is a lot more fun and nicer to drive.

I've had a Fiesta 1.4 on a 2003 plate before and that was a very nice car, smart, comfortable, handled like a go-cart, my only complaint was that it wasn't powerful enough, the 1.6 would resolve that.

Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - DP
I had an automatic version of this as a hire car a year or so ago, and loved it. Very lively for what it was, and really good fun to drive. We also had a Zetec-S in the mkV shape (same engine) which was an absolute joy to drive - lively rather than quick, but just so much fun to chuck around. Ford do FWD chassis better than anyone at the moment.

Keep it serviced, and it won't let you down. We sold a mkIV 1.4 Zetec last year with 90,000 miles on it that still drove and cleaned up like a new car. Literally.

Cheers
DP
Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - daveyjp
A neighbour has a 1.6 Ghia and it looks well appointed - full leather interior etc etc.

The Fiesta is still what it always was - a car for the masses and you will be unlucky if it lets you down in a major way. I'm the only one in our family not to currently own a Fiesta, but I have had three.

Dad teaches in one and has done in the various models for over 20 years, mum has a '51' reg - very low mileage but never lets her down, sister has a Y reg which just keeps going from one MOT to the next.

You won't go far wrong with a Fiesta and the 1.6 should be lively enough.
Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - Snakey
Good cars in my opinion, I had a 1.4. The only thing I had a problem with is the seat bases felt too 'short' for me. I'm only 6ft so not abnormally tall but its worth checking out the comfort for yourself.

And I missed not having a foot rest next to the clutch pedal!
Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - frazerjp
I had an 03-reg 1.4 zetec & it was disappointing to own for the 7 months I owned it because of the troubles I had with engine light that kept coming on.
Beside that the seat wasn't very comfortable on long journeys, my back would ache badly after an hour or so.
I've been informed the 1.6 endura engine is more reliable then the 1.4 zetec, so go for it.
Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - oldgit
I suppose I must see cars from a different perspective to the majority of you all here. My sister has a 54 plate 1.4 Fiesta Zetec 'climate' which is truly the most awful car I've ever managed to persuade her in buying (and still feel guilty to this day)
Still she's had it three years now and is looking for something more comfortable and less agricultural in feel. Mind you, myself having a Golf MKV only makes the contrast more marked, I suppose.
I, personally, cannot see any redeeming features about her car at all, whether it be the dour, black cheap interior to the the outside and the cheap tinny manner in which all the doors close. As for the suspension and comfort, well less said the better. Perhaps I should have looked underneath to check whether the suspension elements were still locked for transit!
The Fiesta she owned, prior to the current shape, was much better with the 1.25 litre Yamaha engine - much better and smoother and the overall dynamics much superior.

Goodness know what the new shape Fiesta will be like. I've seen the new Mazda 2 equivalent today and must say that doesn't impress me either.

We're currently looking at the new Skoda Fabia, Seat Ibiza and VW Polo as at least they promise a better level of comfort and refinement.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/07/2008 at 19:47

Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - shawad
I've got one on an 03 plate, which has now become my car since we had a sprog and the Mrs now drives the Zafira everywhere.

It's a good car, we've had no issues at all over the 5 years. A bit thirsty if you put your foot down, but economy and CO2 aren't that much worse than the 1.4 so it's worth it for the extra pull.

The Ghia only gets skinny boots on 14" wheels though (at least on early models), so it can feel a bit light on the steering.

the lack of clutch foot rest (or even space to put your foot) is annoying, and the vents for the footwell fan can cause a hot left calf in the winter.
Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - Avant
"the lack of clutch foot rest (or even space to put your foot) is annoying"

I agree - it's a more important thing than it sounds. Does any Ford give you a footrest? I've tried several and I don't think any of them had one. Such a silly omission - it can't be very costly and it's not as if Fords were basic economy cars any more.

Edited by Avant on 21/07/2008 at 22:05

Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - retgwte
staggered that people think these are acceptable cars

ive had a few on loan

had one for a few months over last few months of last year and first this year

absolutely rubbish cars

pedal spacing is all wrong

too much play on the pedals

steering is horrible

brakes rubbish

really i think ford get away with it due to low price to fleets and learner driver inertia when they pass

anyone with any sense get yourself out and try the competition it really is so much better

Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - scouseford
You obviously don't rate the Fiesta 8< SNIP no need to get personal

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/07/2008 at 01:35

Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - Blue {P}
Well I loved mine, it had it's faults, but I think it was much better than the equivalent Corsa (a lot more space for a start).

I've never honestly missed the clutch footrest as I never had one until my 6th car, by which time I didn't think it was necessary.

Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - Burnout2
An interesting mix of views in this thread...

My girlfriend has an early 52' reg LX, with the soon-replaced base 1.3 engine. Faultless in 75k hard miles and counting, despite some of her wince-inducing driving habits.

I've always found it an entertaining drive, despite it being 189bhp down on my own car, with the steering, gearbox and handling all being well above average. Likeable, unpretentious transport.

Obviously, the current Fiesta suffers for being a relatively old design, and lacking the "big car" refinement (and usually added weight) that's been introduced to the class over the last five years, but I still think they're a good used buy.
Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - DP
anyone with any sense get yourself out and try the competition it really is so much better

Really? What competition would that be, and how is it 'so much better'

Dynamically, the Fiesta has long been regarded as the class leader, and it's an opinion I would concur with after experiencing many of them.

My personal view is that it's one of the only affordable cars around with any steering feel whatsoever. Brakes are no worse than I've experienced in a Clio, Corsa, Punto etc. OK, they're not so heavily servoed that they stand the car on its nose with a mere brush like they do in a Polo or 207, but is a bit of modulation in the pedal a bad thing?

Is the Fiesta Ghia 1.6 any good? - peanut
I agree with DP. My Fiesta is about the bet car I've ever had - well built, great to drive, and at a good price. I drove about 12 cars whilst looking, and the Fiesta came out top.

I think the Blue Oval makes good cars.

Peanut.