02 1.9 dci power loss and black smoke - 19frosty64
Hi out there,I hope someone can Help me,
I have a 2002 scenic megane RX4 1.9 dci ,She used to run just great until i did a long drive down to south of france and back,
I was heading up the Alps when without warning i had no real pulling power, i climed the Alps at about 15 miles per hour, which made it hell for me and also anybody following ,
the strange thing is on the straight she ran just fine,??i crused home at 70 all the way.
to be honest i have driven her like it for now a month but i live in cornwall and the gouing up hill thing is driving me crazy.
Last week renault told me power loss could be the EGR valve, So i bought one and changed it,whilst in the process of changing i saw that the hose from the mass air flow sensor had a hole so i bought a new one as well,just to be sure
OK to the point, after changing the EGR and air pipe there is no difference and my car will still not go up hills ?? and i now seem to have clouds of Black smoke mainly when pulling up hill.maybe i did not notice this before
I noticed that there was a lot of Oil like sludge in the EGR valve and wondered if this was normal? i checked it again today and i reckon i will have to clean it every 2 weeks to keep it from clogging completley.
I put it in a local garage to check the fault codes and there code reader gave these codes, 1814,1815,,802 and 806,they are getting back to me,
So does anybody out there have any advise,yours hopefully

frosty

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/07/2008 at 19:24

02 1.9 1.9 power loss and black smoke - Screwloose
frosty

Black smoke is often an EGR fault - unless the air filter is blocked solid/been wet? Oil sludge is not normal - it should be soot and coke.

Those codes are gibberish; sounds like your garage have been ripped-off by the "Chinese scanner" scam.
02 1.9 1.9 power loss and black smoke - 19frosty64
Hi ,cheers for that, air filter looks fine,
So any ideas as to why there is black sludge in the EGR??

Guess i will have to go back to the garage over the faults regards

frosty

A filter that's been wet can look fine; have you tried it with it out?
Hi ,

thanks again,
i took out the filter and she perked up,even went up the hill in forth gear.
I Still have fault light coming on ,
not sure where to go from here??

thanks again

frosty
have had a look at the EGR valve and it is still getting soaked ,is the best word to describe it,Surley
this cannot be right? or am i just worring over nothing,
could anyone let me know if you have any ides??

regards
frosty
frosty

Interesting... Do you recall ever driving through deepish standing water? If the filter gets wet, the dust on it can set like concrete - and water spray through it can damage the MAF. [Disconnect the MAF and try it - remember that may leave a code.]

What codes were found?

Edit

If there's that much oil on the EGR; why isn't it blue smoking? Check any breather hoses from the block.

Edited by Screwloose on 16/07/2008 at 14:08

Ok i disconnected the MAF and No difference in the running? i drove up the road and back and nothing, so i am guessing i should replace it?? the fault light did not come on.

I havent been in any water, but maybe the snow form the Alpes trip did something,?>?

I have checked all hoses ,even took off turbo hoses to check and all good.

there was a lot of black oil the same as in the EGR valve around the turbo hose the one right at the bottom going to the front air intake box,Also oil in the hose from the front box to the EGR valve, i have cleaned and replaced these

The smoking has stopped ,i have just put a new air filter in.

these are the codes that the garage gave me also wrote these notes.

1814- Ex gas recirc valve intermttent- positive loop difference?

1815 inlet air temp sensor circuitm intermittent lack of air in inlet circuit, (thought this might be the air filter you pointed out,)

802 air temp sensor circuit intermttent open or short circuit to battery?

and 806 air flow sensor curcuit intermittent short to ground?

The oil thing is a worry i thought maybe the tubo had some sort of leak ? do they do a seal kit??

relly appretiate your help regards.

Loads of black oil is normal in the turbo pipework; turbos have no oil seals in the conventional sense. It's not normal for that oil to be present in the EGR valve as the hot exhaust gases burn it off. Maybe the EGR is non-functional?

You've certainly got a range of MAF/IAT codes; Checking the MAF's feed; earth and output voltage under load would be my next test.
Hi there

Ok testing will be the first job tomorrow,

regards

frosty

On the MAF/IAT sensor. Backprobe with pins or make links.

Pin 1; - 5 volts [plug off]
Pin 3; - 5 volts [connected]
Pin 4; - 12 volts
Pin 5; - c.2 volts idle; 4+ volts revved.
Pin 6; - earth.

Resistance between sensor pins 1 and 2 should be around 2 - 3000 Ohms @20C.
Hi a big thnks for the info,

Ok to tell the truth i left my meter in london so i put her in the local Lucs centre down her in st Austell, they could not find Any Fault,

They spent 3 hours looking over her and drew a blank, The guy said its like she has asthma, he seemed to think for some reason the turbo although working was not fully cutting in,but had no idea why?
On the up side he did not charge me a penny.

So i am still at a loss on the road with power and in ideas???

What would stop the turbo fully coming on??

I am going to London on saturday on buisness so will pick up me meter,

Appreciate all the Help.

The continuing bad adventures RX4

Frosty
Just Like to thank everybody for the Help and advice

All things point to the Turbo,,, So she is going in the garage thursday to have a new one fitted,

I cannot believe how expensive they are, Anyhows i guess i was lucky that the turbo didn;t destroy the engine...

Again thanks,

and keep up the good advice...

Frosty

All things point to the turbo? Nothing conclusive enough to spend that much without a quick feel of it.

If a turbo's shaft isn't wiggling up and down too much - and it spins without hitting the casing - then it's usually OK. They're very simple things.

It the wastegate moving as it should?
H there again thank you for all the Help and advice,

Had Renault have a look they said the turbo was knackered,

After taking it off the fault showed itself, The shaft had broken in half and some of the blades were also broken,

So i gues i was lucky that it did not do any more damage,

Renault wanted £900 for a turbo but i got one from turbo solutions off the net ,for £360

Had alocal garage do the change over , they also said i was very lucky so apart from the cost i guess i was,

Why are Turbo's more expensive than GOld!!

she is running like a dream, with all power back, so a happy ending.

The only thing left is to work out how to put the code back in the radio,

Regards Frosty.