1999 1.8 petrol - Concern after adding engine oil - jp147
Last month I added about 150 ml of Halford Part Synthetic 5W30 engine oil to my Ford Focus. I always have it serviced at a Ford garage and they use Ford Motorcraft engine oil when they change the oil. After topping up with the Halford oil, I noticed when checking the level on the dipstick that the oil seemed to go a fair way up the length of the dipstick and there wasn't a definite level on the dipstick. Now a month later when I check the dipstick I do get some oil going up the outside of the dipstick but not nearly as much as when I first added the 150ml of oil and now I can get a definite reading.

I am worried that the Halford oil that I added to the Motorcraft oil already in the sump may have "reacted" in some way with it (the halford oil does have a slightly different appearance than the motorcraft oil) and that may compromise the protection that the engine gets from the oil.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/07/2008 at 20:02

1999 1.8 petrol - Concern after adding engine oil - Captain Zetec

I wouldn't worry unduly. As long as it's 5W30 and complies with Ford's standards it will be OK.

I very much doubt Halfords would sell oil that isn't up to standard.

I usually use Comma 5W30 semi-synthetic on my Mondeo but have also used Fuchs fully synthetic on occasion.

Sometimes the oil can stick to the dip stick as you say. Try letting the engine sit for a while before dipping. Otherwise the dealer may have overfilled it. That shouldn't cause a massive problem but can lead to blown seals and damaged cats if taken to the extreme.

The Ford motor craft oil is a rip off. I think it was about £35 - 40 for 5 liters last time I bought some. The comma stuff is £15 - 20 at the motor factor.

Perhaps you should think about letting a "back street" garage service it for you in future. :o)

1999 1.8 petrol - Concern after adding engine oil - bathtub tom
>>I very much doubt Halfords would sell oil that isn't up to standard.

I don't have the time or commitment to tell you about the standard of products a certain nameless company sells!!!