Aftermarket security / steering locks - Fazer1000
Hi all,

I'm looking for a new car steering lock to replace one I've had for several years but has now broken.

I can't find any recent tests on these sort of mechanical security devices, any I have found seem to be at least two or three years old.

Is the 'Disklok' still generally regarded as the best ? From the tests I found, the pro's had got its removal time down from an initial 5 mins+ to 'just' a couple of mins, guess that could be even lower now though.

I know nothing will stop the determined thief, but sometimes anything is a deterrent or may at least make another car more attractive as an easier target.

Any current or at least more recent tests you know to ?

Thanks

Paul
Aftermarket security / steering locks - steveo3002
think the disclok is still up there with the best of the steering wheel locks

no doubt a pro is going to take your car if he wants it ...but the disclok is a hefty item and its got to deter the kids/drunks etc

downside is its a huge hefty thing, but you cant have it all ways...they sell a little bag with velcro on it to stop it flying around in the boot
Aftermarket security / steering locks - Dynamic Dave
Here's Thatcham's recommendations:-

www.thatcham.org/security/pdfs/categories/Passenge...f

Another downside to the Disklok is the time required to fit/remove it. Because of this how often is it going to remain in the boot if you're only gonna leave your vehicle parked up for 10 mins?
Thanks for the replies so far,

from the Thatcham list I guess I'd rule out the Carblock Granit, Longarm and 4Tress due to them offering no protection to removal of the steering wheel or airbag.

That leaves the Disklok, Stoplock Pro, Ultima or X-Cel.

The Ultima and X-Cel are a bit odd looking (albeit probably effective) so if I ruled them too out it'd be down to the Disklok or the Stoplock Pro.

I guess one advantage of the Stoplock is that it could be used as a sword to fend off road rage attackers !!!
Aftermarket security / steering locks - L'escargot
I guess one advantage of the Stoplock is that it could be used as a
sword to fend off road rage attackers !!!

If you keep it in the cabin, make sure it's securely tied down when you're driving. In the event of an accident you don't want to have a Stoplock flying around the cabin.
Aftermarket security / steering locks - jc2
Years ago,it was suggested that the lock should be fitted upside-down(some you can't do that way)makes it awkward to unlock but stops use of "slide-hammer" to extract lock assembly.
If you keep it in the cabin make sure it's securely tied down when you're
driving. In the event of an accident you don't want to have a Stoplock flying
around the cabin.

True enough, mind you if it came down to it I'd rather get hit by a Stoplock than a Disklok - they weigh a ton !!!
Aftermarket security / steering locks - teabelly
It doesn't take that long to fit or remove once you have used it a few times. It is awkward for the first few weeks but you soon get used to it and it becomes automatic. I have one on each car. They also loosen up after a few months use so they become less awkward over time. Each one of mine is several years old and have been taken on and off several times a day at times so they are definitely durable and reliable.

I have a half cover from Halfords and that is much more awkward. The disklok is much better in terms of build quality and ease of use.
Aftermarket security / steering locks - MW
Although it is not the best I have used an Eagle Claw for years. The key is it has a rachet when you put it on. This means it does not need a key to put it on, only to take it off. Putting it on takes literally 4 seconds, and I do it EVERY time as its so easy. It looks a good deternat, even if it is not the greatest in security.
Disklok is great, but weighs a ton and who puts it on EVERY time?
Aftermarket security / steering locks - rbc
Have had a number of cars stolen over the years but NEVER one fitted with a Disklok
Aftermarket security / steering locks - L'escargot
Have had a number of cars stolen over the years ........

I'm curious about the reason for that.

In 52 years of car ownership I've never had a car stolen, broken into or vandalised. The worst I've had happen was about two gallons of petrol siphoned out in in a public carpark in 1970 before the days of locking fuel filler caps.
Aftermarket security / steering locks - oilrag
There`s an Axiam 500 locked with a long chain and padlock, steering wheel to seat frame, in Leeds.

Made me wonder whether they even have a steering lock?

Edited by oilrag on 16/07/2008 at 09:10